Autolamp/autodimming Mirror | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autolamp/autodimming Mirror

Well, I have started to put the message center in....I just finished the research into it...about 6 hours with all the wire prepping, connectors, stripping, researching on the disc for wire colors, location etc...when I laid the harness in the console...OMG, it looked like madussa had a bad hair day, wires were everywhere...but, I taped it up now, to run the wires thru....it doesnt seem that bad...most of the wires are in the dash area....a few are in the engine compartment which is the oil switch, washer fluid and PCM...so Im hoping everything else would be a cinch!!! I'll give in about 6-10 more hours into it for neatness, fuses and give it that professional look to it...and after everthing is done and working properly...I'm gonna post under tips on how to install a message center!!!
wish me luck!

hey billy, that module that I was talking about earlier...next to the radio on the passenger side....it wasnt for the message center, it was the air rid control module....less wires to deal with...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, it's my turn now to get the mirror and overhead console going... man, I wish I had my Limited back.... at least I wouldn't have to play with this stuff
:(

NEED HELP FAST GUY's

I hooked up the two relay's today and the autolamp did not work and i can't figure out why???
This is what i did: i got two 5 pin relay's and hooked pin 86 to pin 86, 87A to the parking lights, pin 30 to pin 30 and onto the constant, pin 85 to 85 and onto the w/p wire, and then on the other relay 87A to the headlamps. just like posted before by big country!!! and they did not work, the green led on the mirror came on but not the headlights or parking lights!!!
i bought two 5 pin relays which are (standard with resistor) they had other relay's there that were also 5 pin but (with diode) did i maybe get the wrong relay's, or should i be using 2 4 pin relay's???
also i left the other pin 87 on both relay's empty and even when i hooked up an earth to pin 86 that did nothing as well, the wires i spiced from the headlight switch were
1) parking light's - white/black wire
2) headlights - red/yellow wire

someone please help me so that i can have the dam autolamp!!!
Thanks. :( :( :(

Any idea's? ANY?

Ok i can make it work by forcing the relay's to click in by hooking up a circut tester, the negative side into PIN 86 and with the other end of the circut tester touching pin 30 this makes both relay's click in, the circut tester light to come on showing that the conection works and the autolamp to work but why can't the relay's do it by them selves???? i would really appreciate any sugestions. Until then i will keeeeep trying!!!
Thanks.

why can't i just use two 4 pin relay's or one 5 pin with the parking lights hooked to 87 and headlights to 87a seeing as your only using 4 out of the 5 pins???
I have given up cos i can't figure it out so i am going to wait for you guys and see what you think.
Thanks

VBTRUK,

You hooked up the parking lights up wrong. You have to hook the headlights to one of the fuses 87a terminal, and the parking lights to the other relay's 87a terminal.

Both 86 terminals on both relays and both 30 terminals on both relays should have power to all of those terminals.the w/p wire should go to both 85 terminals on both relays. On one of the relays you hook the parking lights up to 87a and the headlights to the other relay's 87a. Then it should work.

Hoppy

You can use 4 pin relays, but make sure that they are normally open relays. If they are not the autolamps will not come on when the w/p grounds the coil in the relay, the lights will come on when the autolamp shuts off. Exactly backwards to what you want to do. I mentioned using the 5 pin relays because they are readily available at any wrecking yard.

Hoppy

Hoppy do you mean that the 86 pin should have power as well as the 30 pin??? I will play with it and let you know tommorow! Thanks a great deal.

That is correct. You need power to the coil of the relay so that the w/p wire can close the circuit within the mirror, and you need power to the 30 pin so when the coil is engergized it sends the power from 30 through to 87a

Hoppy

Hey, i installed the message center!!! it took 9 hours to install it...a few more tweeks i need to do cuz it says that there is a brake/tail check...i forgot to hook two wires up to each other on the left/right lamps, low washer fluid cuz i have no sensor to it, but i got it today...and the oil temp sense wire i didnt hook up cuz i have to find what harness it comes out of...which i found it in C148M...and coulnt hook up the fuel flow line cuz i have no line coming out of the PCM...but im putting one in though....and that is it...otherwise, i love it it is cool....all in all, it took 10 hours of research....2 hours of wire/ harness preping and 9 hours to run the wires and hook it all up...plus i hooked up the rear console controls and lamp module along with the message center....so yea, about 20 hours of work for it...

next step to transformation LIMITED: keyless entry with keypad....already got it all....just the wiring is all i need to do...so in the mean time of doing it im gonna hook up the white/purple wire for the autolamps....this is soooo cool....my xls is a limited!!!

overhead console
high series console
message center
dual lighted vanity mirrors
fog lights w/ turn on anytime
keyless entry with keypad
and more....got it all

Congrats man!! There're only two or three brave souls that did the message center project. Enjoy it!!

Yeah congrats from me to BIG C i am really happy for ya i sure wish i could put one in but i have a floor shift so it won't fit!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to HOPPY for all you promt and great help!!! Just a few more things though?
This is what i have dione and if you can think of a better way to wire them up i will be really appreciative to you.
2 x pin 30 is constant, 2x pin 85 is W/P wire from mirror, 2 x pin 86 is constant, and 87a is headlights and 87a is parking lights on the other relay. this works really well and my mirror only has the green LED no orange!
1 prob the fused wire to pin 87a (headlights) get warm where as the other 87a (parking lights) does not so should i upgrade the amperage of the wire or wire up the relay's a different way???
Thanks.
the wirring did not work with just the two pin 86 hooked up together as mentioned before the only way it works for me is to have it like this or should i put i switch in that always stays on and run the power wire from the switch to pin 86????
Thanks.

VBtruk,

Yes, if the wires are getting warm, I would change the gauge size of the wire. You should be able to use the same gauge wire that is on the existing circuits for the headlights and parking lights, but I would advise your wire to terminal 30 to be of a big enough gauge to accomodate the power required for the headlights and parking lights together because you are feeding both of those circuits with one wire. Fuse them to suit as well. You don't want to put too big of a fuse in the circuit either because you could burn the wire feeding terminal 30 and could cause a fire and the smell of burning insulation is not very nice. Beleive me. I have experienced that way too many times with my first car (a VW Beetle).

I am not 100% sure what you mean when you say to switch terminal 86, or that they didn't work when you tied both terminal 86's together? It worked for me. I wouldn't say to switch the terminals 86's because the w/p wire will turn the lights on or off if you turn off the autolamps on the mirror.

Hoppy

vbtruk: you only have the green led and not the led light is because the sensor is sensing light outside...do it in the dark or cover those sensors up with some black tape...all three of them....

BIG C i think i only have the green LED as i did have it tapped up and in the dark and when the delay is working with the car off the mirror stays green led and turns off the lights! i will check the owners manual! Just want to make sure if i upgrade the wire and it still gets warm what should i do then?
Thanks.

Sounds like your mirror works great! Congrats!!! Now you just have to figure out how to get the headlights to turn on. Good luck!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guy's i just want to know what are some things to check or do if after i upgrade the wire if it still get's warm??? is there anything else to stop it warming up???
thanks.

Back