Automatic Brake Controller?

Mowens

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
I have a 1998 5.0 Mountaineer. AWD.

I have looked at many threads, and they all seem to almost answer my question... but not completely.

I just bought a boat. The trailer is 910 pounds empty, and the dry weight of the boat is 2,800 pounds. So that puts me at a 3710 frequent tow job. A friend's father in law works in the part department at Ford, so I got a Ford reciever. (I got a deal I swear) The boat trailer has a 5 pin connector, my Mountaineer has a 4 pin behind the tail light.

My questions:

1. Do I need a brake controller? Everything I have read points to Yes being the answer.

2. Where do I put it? Do I really have to put it in the cabin with me? Can I just put it under the hood? What are the advantages of having it there? I barely have enough room in the drivers seat as it is.

3. What trailer wiring should I install? Should I put in a 7 pin and get a connector for a 5? Basically... yesterday I knew nothing about towing and today I know very little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 5.0 Mountaineer. AWD.

I have looked at many threads, and they all seem to almost answer my question... but not completely.

I just bought a boat. The trailer is 910 pounds empty, and the dry weight of the boat is 2,800 pounds. So that puts me at a 3710 frequent tow job. A friend's father in law works in the part department at Ford, so I got a Ford reciever. (I got a deal I swear) The boat trailer has a 5 pin connector, my Mountaineer has a 4 pin behind the tail light.

My questions:

1. Do I need a brake controller? Everything I have read points to Yes being the answer.

2. Where do I put it? Do I really have to put it in the cabin with me? Can I just put it under the hood? What are the advantages of having it there? I barely have enough room in the drivers seat as it is.

3. What trailer wiring should I install? Should I put in a 7 pin and get a connector for a 5? Basically... yesterday I knew nothing about towing and today I know very little.
Yes, I would highly recommend a brake controller. Most definately have it in a highly accessable place in the cabin with you, it will have a lever of some sort to manually activate the trailer brakes. This feature WILL come in handy some day. Having nearly two tons behind you, pushing you in an emergency stopping situation, will tax your vehicle brakes to more than the limit. Just one experience will make a believer out of you. I learned this lesson in 1967, the hard way. You can pull the boat without the brakes. Do you have good insurance?

You don' t need a 7 pin connector. I assume you are refering to a RV connector. I use a 6 pin setup, unless you want to charge an on board battery. Use what you want however. You will need L/T, R/T, tail ights, brakes, and ground, and backup lights are handy, but not necessary.

Hahaha yes I do, have very good insurance. :) Point taken.

Can someone else install this? Who would I call? I dont know that I trust myself to install something that will potentially save someones (or someTHING's life)

Should I buy a newer truck, or can the old Mounty handle it?

You can install it yourself. If the truck came from the factory with the tow package, the wiring should already be there, if not you will need to run a 10 or minimum 12 gauge wire from the controller to the rear of the truck. Buy a GOOD quality controller. I use a Haynes Genisis, but there are a number of good controllers on the market. I have not needed to look at them for a while, so am not up to date on whats available now. I would suggest going to an RV dealer to see what they recommend. Then look on the internet for pricing. The RV dealer will be highpriced. Read and follow the instructions for setting up the controller, and you should have no problems. Go on a little used road and play with it to get a feel for how the brakes will react. Have fun!

Awesome. Looks like the guys on the forum prefer the Tekonsha prodigy. Thanks!

Your Monty should do the job if you've done you regular maintenance. Check out ETRAILER.COM. ALL YOU NEED AND ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW CAN BE FOUND THERE.

Back