Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

automatic car wash has disabled my explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mmozak, July 23, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mmozak

mmozak New Member

City, State:
      Rincon, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 xlt?
      Hello,
      When I went through the undercarriage wash my engine was shut off halfway through. The engine would not start, then after 10 minutes of cussing engine finally would start but it would be in a safe mode and not let me apply the throttle. After 10 more minutes of cussing I was finally able to start it and apply the throttle with the warning light still illuminated. It's at the house now. I scanned the obd2 and it had something throttle body.

Anybody ever hear of this? And know the fix?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. KingTriEye

KingTriEye Member

City, State:
      Hull, Ma
      2000 Mountaineer Monterey
      Did it give you any codes other than saying throttle body? You can typically search the exacty OBDII code and it will give you a fix through google.

Was it turning over easily or did it sound like maybe a drained battery. You could have an alternator issue or maybe even need a belt.

How about leaks? Are you taking water on anywhere thay may have sucked water into your engine?

Just a couple quick thoughts.

4. mmozak

mmozak New Member

City, State:
      Rincon, GA
      05 xlt?
      Thanks for the reply,

There are three codes. My obd2 scanner tells you the most likely fix reach one. It said to replace the electronic throttle control (ECT) motor for all codes, I have no clue what that is, and the Google search on my smart phone diddn't help.

5. rickybobby

rickybobby Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Battle Creek, mi
      '97 XLT
      from my experience, the first step is to write down all of the codes and then clear them. then drive it and see which ones come back

6. KingTriEye

KingTriEye Member

City, State:
      Hull, Ma
      2000 Mountaineer Monterey
      Can you post the codes? It'll make it a lot easier for people help you with. If you haven't already taken it to get fixed, just call up ford and talk to a tech there. Also, if you're looking for parts location, the motorcraft website has some great diagrams and brakdowns. That's where i get a lot of my help but not necessarily parts due to $$$

7. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...Sounds to me like you got a lot of water into electronic connections under your hood...Might let it dry out for a bit and start looking for wet areas...:dunno:

8. dersch6221992

dersch6221992 Active Member

City, State:
      Indiana
      2000 mounty
      i had a similar problem to this today.
      i recently got my truck pretty muddy. and i took it to the manaul spray off car wash. while there i sprayed the outside, and underside very well. no soap was used.
      it was fine started right back up. drove about 20 minutes to the fair. and about 3 hours later went to start it and it just cranked. (powerful crank) i was confused. stopped. tryed again. same thing. gave it some gas and it started right up. drove for a while. just started it a few hour ago and it was fine.
      the only other i have noticed is sometimes it seems sluggish/ it wants to stall when i take off.

I am not trying to highjack this. but similar car wash problems see if anyone can help, or if this can help mmozak