automatic headlight sensor location ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

automatic headlight sensor location ?

TG

Reaction score
On a 04 XLT...
Would someone let me know where the sensor for the automatic headlights is located.
I'd like them to come on a little earlier.
So, I figured I'd try to cover it with something.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it is behind rear view mirror.

I tried covering the entire mirror area including the compass sensor and the wire channel going to the headliner and I can't make the lights come on...
I don't think the sensor is there.

Center of the dash up by the windshield. under the little dome where the LED light that flashes is. You can also take it to the dealer and they can hook it up to the computer and set them to come on earlier.

Thanks,
It works perfectly.
I didn't know the dealer could reprogram that.
I'll have to look into having it done.
Thanks again.

If its not behind the mirror, then what is that little circle for? I always assumed it was for the headlights, since the controls are on the mirror as well.

Personally I just turned off the automatic feature on mine, I like to drive w/ parking and fog lights on when it gets close to dusk, I think it looks cool. I'm just curious though...

The thing behind the mirror is for the compass.
On mine the controls on the mirror are for the automatic dimming of the mirror.

japes said:
Center of the dash up by the windshield. under the little dome where the LED light that flashes is. You can also take it to the dealer and they can hook it up to the computer and set them to come on earlier.

That's it. I couldn't figure out why my lights were on yesterday, wasn't that cloudy out but they were on. Turns out I had thrown my hat on the dash and covered the sensor. So if you want them on early chuck your hat up there! :D

Back