Automatic headlights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic headlights not working

I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer with a 4.0 SOHC and my auto headlights quit working a couple of months ago. My regular headlights work fine but i can't the auto lights to come on at all. I have checked all the fuses under the dash and they are all good. I have been looking through some of the posts on the forum but the only thing that i can find is to check and see if the switch on the mirror is on, which was the first thing i did when it stopped working. The little green light on the rear view mirror comes on at night, so i guess that means the sensor is working, i think. I also bought two more rear view mirrors at the junk yard and hooked them both up but still no auto headlights. Is there a reset switch that i have to hit when i change mirrors or a fuse somewhere else? I also read that the sensor is on the mounting bracket. If the light on the mirror is on, does that mean that the sensor is good? I would appreciate any help i can get.

BERTO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the relay box under the dash? Its above and to the right of the gas pedal.

No i haven't, do you by any chance know which relay it would be? Since i don't have a manual for it to look it up. And is there a way to find out if a relay is bad?

Thanks for the info, I will have check it out after work.

I checked the relays under the dash last night and they were all ok. I also hooked up the other mirrors again just in case one of them would work, but stil no auto head lights. Thanks for the manual by the way.

I checked the relays under the dash last night and they were all ok. I also hooked up the other mirrors again just in case one of them would work, but stil no auto head lights. Thanks for the manual by the way.

You are welcome. Good luck with your issue!

To clarify, with the headlamp switch in the OFF position and the Autolamp switch on the rearview mirror turned on. The green indicator light on the rearview mirror comes on.

1. When this happens do the exterior parking lamps come on?

2. The headlights do not come on as you have mentioned.

When i start the truck on at night the headlight switch is in the off possition and the mirror is in the on possition with the green light lit, but non of the lights are on. Head lights, parking, and instrument lights are all off.

How did you check the relays? By replacing them with new ones and seeing if it worked again at night? If not that would be the first thing I'd try. You could replace just one to see if that system starts working.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285023&highlight=relay+box+dash

Check out post #7 it shows all of the relays...try switching out the relay

Three of the relays shown in that thread would have to fail for the symptoms you are describing (Park lamp relay, Dimmer relay, Headlamp relay). They could have, or it could be the triggering wire from the rear view mirror to those relays. There were changes to the electrical systems from years 1997 to 1998 so the following might not apply to you.

However, try checking continuity of a "White/Purple" wire from the the connector on the rearview mirror to pin #2 on any of those relays mentioned. You can figure out which one is pin #2 by pulling the relay out and looking on the underside. You don't need to splice into the wires to perform this check just stick the multimeter probes into the appropriate slots gently.

I don't suspect it is the ground for those relays as it is used for other systems too, and you haven't mentioned other problems. I also ruled out the rear view mirror itself based on the fact you have tried two new ones.

Lastly, if you haven't already check all the fuses in the interior fuse panel. I don't suspect those either though since you have multiple failures affecting only the lighting systems.

Automatic Headlights stopped working

Hi all! Thanks for this amazing forum. It is extremely helpful.

I drive a 2002 Explorer Limited.

I recently had my air conditioning stop working, which turned out to be a result of the wires rubbing on the oil pan and snapping. Thanks to this forum, I was able to fix without scratching my head too much. However, I did take a friend of a friend up on the offer of doing it off the books as a side job. I got my car back and the AC worked great again (phew, it was summer!) but I noticed a few signs that perhaps he had NOT disconnected the battery.

After the wires were replaced, my automatic headlights, which previously worked flawlessly, now decide that fog lights are always the appropriate amount of light (day/night). Manual controls still work fine for headlights but I really miss the automatic ones. Cruise control broke at the same time, but was an easy fix with a new sensor on my master cylinder.

Sorry for the long post, but any ideas on how to get my automatic headlights working again? Thanks sooo much!

After the wires were replaced, my automatic headlights, which previously worked flawlessly, now decide that fog lights are always the appropriate amount of light (day/night). Manual controls still work fine for headlights

I do not understand what you are saying. Can you please describe in great detail the symptoms of your problem?

Also, your 2002 is a third generation explorer so it may help to look through that forum.

Auto Headlights

Thanks for helping!!
I got hooked on the auto-headlight feature. (I never had to touch the headlight switch, and the headlights would come on when it got dark)

When I got my car back from the other repair (in which I think some wires got shorted against the frame) , the auto headlight feature would only turn on the foglights (at dusk, for example). So now I have to manually switch the headlights on at dusk. I know it's not a major issue, but if I ever go to sell the car I'd like to say that everything works as its supposed to. (I love my Explorer, so I probably won't ever sell it ;) )

Once more, this is a great forum with lots of great people. I'm lucky to have such a supportive community.
Thanks!

Check all of the fuses in both the interior and engine bay fuse boxes. There is also a Headlamp relay used by the autolamps to turn on the headlights which may have been fried. That's all I can think of to tell you.

Mine did somthing else.

I have a 99 sport. My lights come on during the day most of the time, every once in a while they do not. I have the delay slider on the RV mirror if I go to the left they go off. If it is in a use/on position they are always on, day and night.
I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and it has been doing it ever since. Where should I be looking and for what?

I have a 2000 sport and I am too having the same problem with my auto headlights. The green indicator light goes on in the mirror but the lights do not go on. I can't find the relay for the auto headlights to check. I've looked and there is no mention of the relay for them just DRL. The auto lights just one day stop working. She led fuses and they are all good.

I’d like to revive this thread again because my 1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC Explorer’s headlamps won’t come on until it’s really dark. People are beginning to flash their lights at me if I let the automatic function rule. I thought it was probably an ambient light sensor that needed to be cleaned or replaced but was surprised when the two name brand auto parts stores in our small town didn’t list such an animal. They could mean it’s a dealer only item. IDK. I just learned it’s location is probably on the dash way forward and about the mid point but can’t check it out because I’m out of town and won’t see it until the weekend. Is the location I described correct and is it a dealer only item ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back