Awd swap into explorer

Pintokid

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling ny. Snowbelt area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer limited
Hey guys,
My 02 v8 explorer just ate transfer case # 7 in a year! Yup, the last 4 were warranty replacements (used) from a salvage yard.
I've brown wire modded it, changed the gem computer and all is fine until wife made one trip in 4x4 in the snow and its shaking and clicking just as every other time.
So, im done with "auto" clutch bullsh@! Transfer cases. I've seen posts on putting a f150 manual case but I would like to put a mountaineer awd unit in so no floor mods and shift linkage be necessary.
Question; does awd use same driveshafts as the explorer auto setup? And is there any thing odd that will prevent this swap? It seems that awd has no wires to it so no computer mods, no floor shifter and all 02 mountaneers were 4.6 v8s right? I love this old chunk of steel even if it's the #1 most complained about vehicle ever hands down on carcomplaints.com.(their words, not mine.) Lol
Anyone who has removed an awd from a merc and put an auto from explorer could tell me in reverse what they needed. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Mounty AWD has its own fair share of failures, more so I believe than the Ex set up.
For you to have that many failures, something must be causing it. I'd say find what your issue is and stick with what you have.

Not to mention, the 4x4 in this gen explorer is basically an adaptive AWD anyway.

The electro magnetic clutch has failed over and over. The system has been diagnosed repeatedly with no known cure. The question is are these two cases PHYSICALLY interchangeable? A worn out viscous coupler every 100k is not a deal breaker.

How do I test a gem module?
How many volts should brown
Wire have in 4x4?
With low voltage won't the
Clutch slip in 4x4?
I've never seen these questions answered
And the shop that sold me the 5 year parts
AND LABOR transfer case has not
Been real quick or happy the last THREE CASES or so! Lol

Back