Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

AWD to 4x4 Conversion

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Matthew Sartanowicz, February 20, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Matthew Sartanowicz

Matthew Sartanowicz New Member

City, State:
    Salt Lake City
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Lincoln Aviator
    Hey, I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with the 4.6L DOHC and AWD(as I think they all are) and was curious as to what it would take to swap the AWD system with a 4x4 system from a 3rd gen explorer so I can have a low range. Im not sure if this is even possible. I saw someone one here post a how to with a Mountaineer but I don't know that this would be the same process for an Aviator. If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this topic or what it would take to complete a project like this I'd love to hear! Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 96firephoenix

96firephoenix Active Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis, IN
    2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    mountaineer and aviator should be the same process.

4. hertfordnc

hertfordnc Member

City, State:
    Hertford, NC
    2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
    Can't say for sure but you could research the transfer case for the Aviator and 4x4 explorer and see what it says.
    Then research the transmission and see if they use the same trans for 4X4 and AWD Explorer,