• Register Today It's free!

Back Axle hop and hard shift

CoreyP1991

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT
So heres the deal, I have a 94 explorer xlt this thing is my baby and lately its been having alot of problems. The transmission started to have a hard time shifting from first to second so i changed the fluid, the filter, and i tightened all the bands and i still have to let off the gas to shift from first to second.

Secondly, about the same time the tranny started to act up whenever i give the truck to much gas the back axle hops and acts like the im driving over a bad washboard. it only does this when its been driven for a while and uphill from a dead stop. I checked the pinion but its not that, and i am completely stumped. Im being told not to drive it by a mechanic because the wheels could lock up and i could lose frankenford. It was diagnosed over the phone so i dont trust his opinion.

Its been like this for about a year now, and ive always come to this site for answers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine has the shifting problem, and i read here it's a gunked up trans governor. my back differential clunks when downshifting to the lowest, but it sounds like your axle is doing something while accellerating.

from what i can tell my intermediate band is really worn out, and i need a new one. For the diff I had a mechanic in the family take a look at it and he basically told me i need a new axle and a tranny rebuild.

from what i can tell my intermediate band is really worn out, and i need a new one. For the diff I had a mechanic in the family take a look at it and he basically told me i need a new axle and a tranny rebuild.

What makes you think that your intermediate band is worn out? When you tightened it how loose was it? It does sound like the governor is your problem, have you check the vacuum modular? You don't have transmission fluid disappearing do you?

As far as the axle sounds like some wicked axle wrap. Have you checked the shackles, u bolts, broken springs etc etc?

When i checked the band it was really loose, almost to the point to where it was going to fall in the transmission. Same mechanic in the family took it to his shop and torqued it up to requirement but said the band was most likely causing the problem because he checked the vaccum modulator and said it was fine, As for the back axle everything is fine other than the leaf springs being a little worn so i put heavy duty coil over shocks on it to firm it up.

I havent had a chance to check the torque converter yet, i havent had the time to do so but i am towing frankenford up to a shop and am going to check it then.

Back