Back door lock buzzes and does not work - 2010 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back door lock buzzes and does not work - 2010 Explorer

Neptune1

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, we have a 2010 Explorer XLS. The back right door lock just buzzes and does not lock or unlock. What is the issue and can a person fix it themselves or is it best left to the experts and what is the approx cost?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one a long time ago do that. Provided your battery voltage is good and you can actuate the lock by hand then actuator is probably shot. You could see the lock oscillate between lock and partially unlocked but the actuator didn't have enough force to open all they way to unlock. The thermal limiter chip internally gets weaker the more it is cycled and tends to reduced the actuator force. The commutator can also get grooved and have brush deposits making resistance go high as well. You could try to clean the commutator up with a pencil eraser and bypass the thermal overload BUT cheap enough to fully replace.

I have seen actuators on eBay for off brand China junk around $10 each whereas the Ford original is about $50 or so. Not a terrible diy job.

Thank you for that information but whoa!!!! Actuators, commutators etc??? I have no idea.

Getting past all of that, isn't taking off the door panel a huge undertaking???

Taking the door panel is a 5 min operation. There are screws under the handle cover and 2 at the bottom. Then you just lift it up.

Agree with Explorer_PL. Door panels are easy. Odds are it is just the actuator (assuming everything else in the door lock is moving smoothly). While I have not done one on my Explorer, they are not terribly hard jobs. Usually the biggest trick is just figuring out how to wiggle pieces in and out of the openings on the door.

Ok thanks I might give it a try . Does anyone know if there are any good vifros? Also does anyone know the part number? Or do I just ask for a back door actuator?

Seriously?

Is there a video on how to replace door actuator?

Is this what is involved to replace it??

Back