• Register Today It's free!

Backup Camera Resolution

2FST4U

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
This is my first vehicle with a backup camera. The resolution on the screen is less than perfect and is really grainy. You can see everything just fine, but I would think that these cameras could produce a much clearer video image.

Anyone else bothered by this or is it just something that you learn to live with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno what the resolution is, but my camera works pretty well. It is grainy at night, but that's to be expected.

Don't have mine yet but probably not as good as my Nikons! ;)

I do know what you're saying, didn't look like a great camera when I tried it at the dealer but does the job well and hopefully will last.... which is more important to me!!

My educated guess is 800x500. According to the MFT manual, wallpaper should be optimized for 800x378 however this doesn't include the 2 always-showing top/bottom bars good for another 40-50 pixels each (but not the full 222 needed for 800x600).

My friend complained about the rear camera resolution. We compared it to his Lexus and woah, its true.

Clean the camera lens????
That is what I now do automatically with my Highlander Bill. I back into the garage and when I walk around the back, I clean the lens. During the Winter months the backup camera doesn't help much unless you've been travelling on dry roads. That is another reason I like the camera/sensor configuration better.

That is what I now do automatically with my Highlander Bill. I back into the garage and when I walk around the back, I clean the lens. During the Winter months the backup camera doesn't help much unless you've been travelling on dry roads. That is another reason I like the camera/sensor configuration better.

Does the Ex have back up sensors as well as the camera? I thought I read that it did somewhere, but didn't notice them on my test drives.

Does the Ex have back up sensors as well as the camera? I thought I read that it did somewhere, but didn't notice them on my test drives.

Yes, it has backup sensors, and if you get the BLIS system, you also get the side viewing backup sensors. Great for backing out of parking stalls.

Yes it does. They are 2 independent systems but obviously work well together since they provide similar functionality. When I park in my garage I come in at an angle after getting the passenger mirror inside, then straighten it out. The result is I'm really close to the side of the garage and have to back out the opposite way I came in, at an angle. I come within 2-3 inches every time and when I back out of the garage the sensor beeper goes crazy for the first few seconds until I get the rear end outside.

mft_resolution.jpg

I have to agree. The back up camera in my new x is a lot grainer than the camera in my dads F-150. His is crystal clear and smooth, mine is grainy and a bit choppy when backing up, and yes, the lens is clean.

I also agree that the rearview camera's video quality is not the best. I have an Acura TL, had an Infiniti QX-56 and even a Hyundai Sonata (2011) and all cameras produced better video quality that the one in my 2013 Explorer XLT. Oh and the only time I cleaned the lenses on those cars were when the cars were washed.

Daytime viewing with the XLT's camera is good (not great) and night viewing is also good but I had to clean it once because it did get very grainy. The XLT was hardly dirty when this happened.

Remember the function it is intended to perform -
help you line up parking / backing... to MISS things - not read the label on that girls jeans :)

IMHO, it's better resolution than our 2011 Audi's was - and it lights just a quadrant that is in 'danger' which is cool !

again, IMHO only thing the audi did better was curving the projected lines as you turned the wheels ....

again, IMHO only thing the audi did better was curving the projected lines as you turned the wheels ....

The limited with active park assist will do this.

I also have a 2004 Lexus RX and a 2008 BMW X5 [both with backup cameras]. I have to say that the backup camera on my ex is much better. I really think the ex's backup cam is nice and performs well at night too.

After viewing the camera over the last couple of days closely, the daytime view is not bad at all. Slightly different than my past cars but still very good. The night view is not as good as my past cars. It's a bit grainy but not terrible. To JohnBoyToo's point, it's not for reading girl's jean labels. As long as I can still make out that it's a girl, I guess I'm fine. LoL

I think the backup camera is pretty clear. I took a look at Honda's and it was horrible...so blurry I couldn't make out much.

I find it slightly fuzzy looking, but it's just a back up camera. It's definitely fuzzier than our previous vehicles, and the grid lines don't move as the wheel is turned which isn't a big deal either. I think it's the screen because its rather large that causes it to look fuzzy.

I find it slightly fuzzy looking, but it's just a back up camera. It's definitely fuzzier than our previous vehicles, and the grid lines don't move as the wheel is turned which isn't a big deal either. I think it's the screen because its rather large that causes it to look fuzzy.

The Limited has the lines that turn with your wheel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Limited has the lines that turn with your wheel
I believe it comes with the vehicles that have Active Park Assist.

Peter

Back