• Register Today It's free!

Bad brakes

Abrasracourcix

Reaction score
City, State
falls church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 EB
I would like to upgrade rotors and pads in my 97 Eddie Bauer AWD. The vehicle is really dangerous with the stock brakes.
Does anyone have an address or link for this?
I saw some brembos and Powerslots online, which seam to be the only options. Has anybody tried them?
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's "really dangerous" then there's something very wrong. Maybe you should just consider a performance pad and a good quality rotor. It may just be time for a little maintenance.

Thank you, but as I said, I know I definetly have to change the rotors and pads, but I was wondering if anyone tried the brembo or the powerslot rotors...?

I have never driven an X with Brembo brakes, but I have driven a race preped Mazda Miata (don't ask :rolleyes: ) that had Brembo brakes on it and can tell you that it stopped great. Weither the increased braking ability was worth the price, only if you plan to road race. The price is far beyond the gain. If it were up to me I'd get either a set of premimum NAPA rotors and their new Cermaic pads, or some ART rotors (if they are available) and the NAPA pads.

Maybe yer brake parts just need replacement. I've drivin my 91 sport (rollin on 35's) stops great fer the size tires... my daily driver is a 94 limited, with 33's and it stops fairly well.. and the only braking complaint comes from the tires...

I've then drivin my friends 97 limited, and it brakes great, just like my moms 00 and my dads 02....

All my life i've driven explorers cept for an old caddy, ranger, and an old e-150... and lemme tell ya, the sploders are alot better.. if yers is really bad, i bet new brakes would be good all around, unless you have this opinion that explorers should have fully race inspired brakes...

Ok, thanks again.
I think I'll get new napa rotors and good pads. And good fluid also probably.

i just replaced the rotors and pads (lifetime warranty on pads) for 90 bucks. if you go with slotted, they cannot be resurfaced. get good pads and you are set. 90 bucks was for backs only.

That's information i will definetly use. No slotted rotors if they can't be resurfaced. Thanks

Back