Bad IAC Valve? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shawnmck17

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
I got my Explorer a couple of years ago and I have had no problems so far except for a humming noise that I can hear under the hood, mostly while idling. After doing a little bit of research I think that the problem is the Idle Air Control Valve. I have tried cleaning it out about three times, which includes taking off the "cap" and cleaning the filters inside. I even changed the filters just to try and save $50. I think now that I am going to have to buy a new Valve and I was wondering if there is any way to test if that is the problem or not before I buy a new one? I really do not want to spend 50 dollars and it not work. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my Explorer a couple of years ago and I have had no problems so far except for a humming noise that I can hear under the hood, mostly while idling. After doing a little bit of research I think that the problem is the Idle Air Control Valve. I have tried cleaning it out about three times, which includes taking off the "cap" and cleaning the filters inside. I even changed the filters just to try and save $50. I think now that I am going to have to buy a new Valve and I was wondering if there is any way to test if that is the problem or not before I buy a new one? I really do not want to spend 50 dollars and it not work. Thanks!

You can test to see if the IAC is making the noise by pulling the electrical connector while the engine is making the noise as I show in this video.

http://homepage.mac.com/dogfriend/Explorer/iMovieTheater14.html

Thanks for your help. I tried that and as soon as i took the plug off the noise stopped, but then my engine died less than two seconds later. I don't know if that's normal or not because yours did not die when you did that. Hopefully the noise didn't just stop because the engine did but I am going to get another IAC valve today. Thanks again

I don't know if that's normal or not because yours did not die when you did that. Hopefully the noise didn't just stop because the engine did but I am going to get another IAC valve today. Thanks again

My engine was able to idle at the lower speed, but its normal for the engine to lose speed after you unplug the IAC. Some engines will quit because the idle speed drops too low, others will run at lower speed like mine.

You could also pull off the breather cap (black plastic cap) like I also showed in the video - and see if the noise goes away. But I think you already verified that the noise quit after you pulled the electrical plug, so it is the IAC that is causing the noise.

Cleaning the filters works temporarily on mine, but the noise eventually comes back during hot weather.

With my other IAC valve (Before replacing it today) I had cleaned the filters multiple times with no change. I actually ended up replacing the stock filters with a lawnmower air filter that i cut to fit the hole and that still didn't help but now i have the new one on there and the noise is completely gone, so I didn't waste the money. I think the valve that i have is different than yours because i don't have a black breather cap. Mine is metal and when i take it off the filters are inside the valve still, and the opening is bigger with four smaller "breathing" holes on the sides so, covering the end up with my finger does not work. But thank you for your help!

welcome

Back