Bad Lean on Drivers Side After Pothole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Lean on Drivers Side After Pothole

MWSportTrac

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and when I bought it it was leaning towards the drivers side about a half inch. I looked online and saw that its most likely caused from a worn out leaf spring. The other day I was driving my truck across a field path and hit a washout. When I hit it it made a loud noise towards the front drivers side tire. Now its leaning towards the drivers side pretty bad (3/4" - 1"). I checked the struts and shocks on the drivers side and they seem fine. Do you guys know what might be causing the truck to lean to the side so bad? Is it just the worn out leaf spring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We would need pictures to really get an idea.

I would venture to say you broke or bent something. Compare driver side suspension parts with passenger side. Look for bends not on the other side. Maybe you broke a leaf spring. They can be hard to spot if in the middle of the spring pack. Need to look down the spring with a flashlight to check for cracks.

1/2" to 1" driver side "Ranger lean" is common with this suspension, especially with Rangers and Sport Tracs. Theory is because of weight imbalance favoring the driver side with fuel tank, driver, battery, etc. Still doesn't explain why it dropped further after hitting a "washout" with a loud noise. Broken or loose driver side shocks would have little or no effect on ride height. Agree with BKennedy above and suspect you have a driver side leaf spring issue or maybe a broken shackle. If your truck is tracking straight it would rule out lower or upper control arm issues. If it were a broken torsion bar the driver side would likely be bottomed out. Lift the driver side on flat ground supported with good jack stands and inspect for loose or broken parts. Please DO NOT use cinder blocks that are known to explode under pressure. Keep us posted and good luck.

My vote is a shackle collapsed.

Back