Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad Mis-fire on New Remanufactured Engine

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by rick72_us, July 28, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rick72_us

rick72_us New Member

City, State:
      Rochester, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 XLT
      I had the 4.0L engine replaced with a remanufactured engine on my '02 Explorer due to breaking a valve spring for the third time. I've put about 1200 miles on the engine since replacing it. The other day it began to run very rough and the code says mis-fire on cylinder 6. I pulled the plug and it was wet with fuel, but didn't apear to be running rich or lean, just looked as if it had not been firing. I replaced the plug and the plug wire and confirmed I have good spark. The compression is normal in the cylinder.

Any ideas on what I should check to determine why this cylinder is mis-firing?

Thanks for your help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Javadog123

Javadog123 Member

City, State:
      Hilo ,Hawaii
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 XLS AWD
      mist the sparkplug wire with water while it is running and dark outside or in a dark garage. See if there are any signs of arcing from the wire to the block. You may have good spark, but the wire may be bad and shorting out while installed.