• Register Today It's free!

Bad Oil Cooler

blacknight123

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mountaineer '98 5.0
Hello. I have a 1998 Mercury Mountianeer and noticed a lot of oil/greese leaking from the front end. I cleaned it up and took the mounty to my mechanic and he said that the leak is coming from a bad oil cooler. he said the problem is that on these models the oil cooler is connected to the oil filter/adapter and that its a discontinued item from the dealer and is hard to find. I was thinking about pulling one out from a junkyard. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or can offer some advice and maybe a picture of what the oil cooler looks like. Thanks a lot.

The later models eliminated this "oil cooler" headache. Look for a 2000-2001 v8 model and swipe the entire oil filter adapter.You might have to look at a few vehicles to find one--

There is one bolt holding it in, I believe it is an 18mm head. It's stuck under the power steering pump facing outward on the front driver side of the engine. Be sure to save this bolt!!!. Also, be sure to get the seal ring between the adapter and the engine block. In a pick and pull this should be easy to get to.

The later adapter will also allow you to use a single lower radiator hose. The earlier "oil cooler" version requires a shorter hose between it and the water pump. In order to install this hose, either the water pump, or, the oil cooler must be loosened enough to allow movement to get the short hose in between them.
Also, because of the oil to coolant internal passages, there is a risk of internal damage causing a cross mix of oil to coolant.

There is also the risk of what you are experiencing now.

I vote for eliminating the "oil cooler" version and getting the later adapter. It's a lot easier to install and maintain.

explorer_oil_cooler.gif
explorer_oil_cooler_2.GIF.gif

Thanks

Hey Thanks a lot for the help guys. I am going to try fixing it and get back to you.

Back