Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats pretty quick and simple. I'm sure it beats the time/cost that a dealer would charge.

I have followed this thread off and on over last few months.

I just wanted to know of those who have had this "problem" is it just in the 3.5 engine equipped vehicles that the smell is detected; or have people with the Ecoboost also had this experience.

Thanks!

It's been a while since anyone has brought this up. Has there been any progress in isolating it further? I've got 8500 miles on my 2012 and it
s starting to do this pretty reliably. :(

This past weekend, I took a trip of 370 miles non-stop and when I did finally stop, I smelled what I took to be very hot gear lube or maybe engine oil. It was much more like gear lube or even wheel bearing grease. It was bad after each way of the round trip and now it's doing it on heavy accelerations. Outside air temp about 50 above and heater off or on, no A/C and no Recirc on.

I'm going to try to get time crawl all over this thing personally before going to my dealer who is quite helpful with most things.

-Kevin

It's been a while since anyone has brought this up. Has there been any progress in isolating it further? I've got 8500 miles on my 2012 and it
s starting to do this pretty reliably. :(

This past weekend, I took a trip of 370 miles non-stop and when I did finally stop, I smelled what I took to be very hot gear lube or maybe engine oil. It was much more like gear lube or even wheel bearing grease. It was bad after each way of the round trip and now it's doing it on heavy accelerations. Outside air temp about 50 above and heater off or on, no A/C and no Recirc on.

I'm going to try to get time crawl all over this thing personally before going to my dealer who is quite helpful with most things.

-Kevin

For me (I have an '11 EX), it doesn't matter if it's cold or hot, the smell upon acceleration is always present. Sometimes I don't notice it, and if I start to smell it, I hit the recirculate cabin air so the light is off. I have close to 13,000 miles on her, and it still does it. Every Ford representative I've spoken to said there's no fix for it. Quite frankly, I believe Ford is losing sales due to this problem. I even had a guy call me to see if I wanted to buy another one as he has a '12 EX, 4 wheel drive, and he wants to sell his so he can buy himself a Durango, or something along those lines, but definitely not another Ford. I'm die-hard Ford, so I wish Ford would really try to fix this. I've had my vehicle in 3 different times regarding this smell, and there's nothing that can be done. Oh, by the way, that smell happens whether it's dead of winter, and here in Texas, that's not too cold, or even when its warmer. It had that smell upon acceleration when it was down in the 30's, and just today it happened again when it was around 80ish.

...The smell has reduced greatly, however it still detectable.
I'm having this same problem...
LM614 & Don Memphis,

I wanted to check in to see if you’re still having the concern.

...I've got 8500 miles on my 2012 and it
s starting to do this pretty reliably...
Kevin,

I can lend a hand by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and approximate mileage.

For me (I have an '11 EX), it doesn't matter if it's cold or hot, the smell upon acceleration is always present...
Bonnie Lynn,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages; drop me a line if you’d like my help.

Cory

Hot Smell 13 EX

I have noticed a smell of something being burnt off on my wifes new EX, but it seems to be lesseening as the miles increase. I think the parts and pieces of the engine cook off oils and such for the first few times it heats to operating temperatures...if it were to continue beyond a few hundred miles, I would be concerned.

I have a 2011 limited AWD with 18000 miles. Just yesterday on the way home I ran it hard up to about 5k rpm. possible 70 mph. then pulled into my subdivision then into my garage. When I got out of the X it stunk.! Just like when I bought it. I usually don't step on the gas that hard, but I think its good once in awhile. So, not real happy with that, but Ford thinks its ok or what?

Thanks Cory. Lemme try and go to my dealer first before I bring out the "big guns". Lol. I have a good relationship with them (we're a Ford family in a smallish town with one Ford dealer so they take care of most of their customers) but if that doesn't work out, I'll elevate it.

The strange thing is, today I tried like heck to get it to do it and it woudln't. When it does it, it seems to be worse during the first drive of the day, or after a long trip.

And Ford says there isn't a fix?...Well, my aviation maintenance career success was built almost solely on hearing others say "oh that can't be fixed." When someone says that, I hear the Mighty Mouse theme music in my head. Lol. If I figure anything out, this forum will be the first to know... Stay tuned. ;)

I have noticed a smell of something being burnt off on my wifes new EX, but it seems to be lesseening as the miles increase...
Please keep us updated as you drive more, crosswind81.

...When I got out of the X it stunk.! Just like when I bought it. I usually don't step on the gas that hard, but I think its good once in awhile. So, not real happy with that, but Ford thinks its ok or what?
cbx1047,

I still have your VIN from before, so drop me a line via PM and I’ll lend a hand.

Thanks Cory. Lemme try and go to my dealer first before I bring out the "big guns". Lol...
Is that a fat joke at my expense, Akmechanic? LOL JK ;)

Cory

burnt smell !!!

my car have passed 20000 km .. and the burn smell still >> ok but today i tried something i open the AC MAX and i didn't smell any thing :scratch:

try it guys and lets share

Ok folks, here's my best educated guess following an inspection of my 2012 with 8500 miles on it:

It appears that the rear output shaft of the transaxle thingy is leaking. I would say that it leaks under normal use, but worse under heavy acceleration as the pressures go up the crankcase and transaxle housing...maybe. At any rate, also under acceleration, the added G force causes the fluid that is present on the upper side of the cross member to travel backwards, through the holes in the cross member and leak onto the exhaust pipe. Under slow accelration there is likely less leakage and therefore, the fluid just spreads out and sticks to the cross member. I have great pics to back all of this opinion up just as soon as I figure out how to post them...

The 4.0 v6 had a similar seal on the front main and a similar problem at least on the first generation of the engine. Just like on those crankshafts, it could be that the surface finish of the output shaft is to slippery for the seal to seal on it and therefore leaking. The fix for that was a TSB to install a "speedy sleave" and a revised seal.

If I was Ford, I'd install a cheap stamped stainless steel shield on the Exhaust pipe using 2 hose clamps to avoid the smell and come up with a revised seal for the output shaft asap. That's just me tho. ;) (Knowing them, I'd bet they're already on this and have told dealers either nothing or to hold the customers off til the fix is out.)

As far as the correlation between Recirc on vs. off: With it on, the pressure in the cabin drops ALOT on these. Turning it off then raises the pressure in the cab and putting the AC on MAX would pressurize it even more, thus lowering or eliminating the possiblity of sucking in fumes.

I'll figure out how to post pics and get them up ASAP. I'll also take mine to my dealer this week and get them to look at it. Again, I have a good relationship with them and if I ask them to check something out, they won't bs me.

-Kevin

Hey mods - the FAQs are GREAT!!! Here are the pics:

Ok, in the first pic we see evidence of burnt oil on the Exhaust pipe. This is a veiw from the passenger side, looking forward and towards the front left wheel. (I forgot to mention that Exhaust temperature is also much higher during accelration) Alos note the film of fluid that has spread across the subframe member above the pipe. It shouldn't be wet. Our roads are very dry lately...
At the top of the pic is the rear drive shaft and forward of that, the transaxle housing thingy (whatever it's called. This is my fisrt transaxle vehicle.) the housing is wet with fluid from the seal. The plastic seal backing thing around the outside of the seal is dry and unbroken.

photo_1.jpg

On the second pic, we're seeing where the fluid has migrated across the surface of the cross member. The driveshaft and exhaust is off to the left of this pic and not visible.

photo_2.jpg

And here is what I'm certain is the culprit. Ths fluid was not engine oil. It was thicker and smelled more like a gear lube or something but defintealy wasn't engine oil. To be honest, somethign above or forward of this could be leaking, but unlikel yin my opinion. I don't have a lift so I couldn't lok too closely farther up, but I did get a good look at the valve cover gaskets from the top and saw no leaks there.

photo_3.jpg

My suggestion is that you hop on the floor and look for this on your Ex if you're experiencing this smell. Even if your tech cannot duplicate this smell, with physical evidence of leakage and burning oil on the exhaust, they'll have to address this under warranty. No fuild leakage is acceptable here folks. Hope that helps shed some light.

-Kevin

Thanks for the help

Still haven't taken mine in yet, but I did find the follwing:

TSB data for: 2012 FORD EXPLORER
Bulletin Number: ASI-22285
Sequence Number: 10044230
Date: 20120301
Component Name: ENGINE (PWS)
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 2012
Summary:
FORD/MERCURY/LINCOLN: SOME VEHICLES EXHIBIT A COLD WEATHER PHENOMENON WHERE FLUID HAS EXPELLED OUT OF VENT ON REAR DRIVE UNITS (RDU) AND FLUID, ON OCCASION, WOULD BURP OUT. *PE

Hmmm... Idk what any of that means but I'll be sure to ask my service advisor. I read on another thread that a German customer was told there was a TSB pending for an output shaft seal leakage, essentially (which prompted the TSB search). Haven't found anything on that one though.

Still haven't taken mine in yet, but I did find the follwing:

TSB data for: 2012 FORD EXPLORER
Bulletin Number: ASI-22285
Sequence Number: 10044230
Date: 20120301
Component Name: ENGINE (PWS)
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 2012
Summary:
FORD/MERCURY/LINCOLN: SOME VEHICLES EXHIBIT A COLD WEATHER PHENOMENON WHERE FLUID HAS EXPELLED OUT OF VENT ON REAR DRIVE UNITS (RDU) AND FLUID, ON OCCASION, WOULD BURP OUT. *PE

Hmmm... Idk what any of that means but I'll be sure to ask my service advisor. I read on another thread that a German customer was told there was a TSB pending for an output shaft seal leakage, essentially (which prompted the TSB search). Haven't found anything on that one though.
I didn't know that any of the new Explorers were REAR DRIVE UNITS.
I know they have FWD and AWD but not RWD.:scratch:

Peter

I was thinking that meant the reaward output of the transaxle thingy. Lol. But I have virtually no experience with front or AWD. Only old-school tranfer cases, like the good Lord intended. Lol.

Smell update:
Ford has made an updated valve cover assembly and is shipping it to my dealer. As soon as they install it, I will test and let you know how it went.

I'm hoping it works, because 62,000 + miles and the smell remains...

On an unrelated note, they are also going to replace a tie rod end for the left front because there is a creaking noise. Sheesh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have this problem; 2011 Explorer 2WD, 12,000+ miles.

Jackass "Service Advisor" at dealer thought maybe a plastic bag was driven over and caught on the exhaust and melted. I think after 6 months and 8000 miles it might be burnt off, don't you?

Will PM CustService on the forum

Back