Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
2012 with 15,000 miles on it and still have smell. Seems to be more sulfur like these days. Been to dealer twice and still not resolved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 with 15,000 miles on it and still have smell. Seems to be more sulfur like these days. Been to dealer twice and still not resolved.

my car have passed 20000 km .. and the burn smell still >> ok but today i tried something i open the AC MAX and i didn't smell any thing :scratch:...
I’m sorry for missing your post before, entra6. I recommend calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

Still haven't taken mine in yet...
I’m checking in to see if you had a chance to bring in your Explorer, Akmechanic?

...As soon as they install it, I will test and let you know how it went...
Thanks for posting the update, Dwr4door; any news after the dealer visit?

...Will PM CustService on the forum
I appreciate the heads up, Frustrated; I’ll look for your PM.

2012 with 15,000 miles on it and still have smell...
gpzrider,

I have your info from before, so please don’t hesitate to drop a line via PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a follow-up call.

Cory

Thanks Cory, but I've already had extensive discussions with my Southern California Regional Manager, Mark, and basically until Ford figures out what is causing it, there is not much they can do. The more it happens the more it seem like it is permeating the cabin, not necessarily through the air conditioning system. Feels like it coming from below the gear shift area and not blown in by the air conditioner.

Thanks Cory, but I've already had extensive discussions with my Southern California Regional Manager, Mark...
You’re welcome, gpzrider; do you plan on bringing in your Explorer soon for service?

Cory

I’m sorry for missing your post before, entra6. I recommend calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

I’m checking in to see if you had a chance to bring in your Explorer, Akmechanic?

Thanks for posting the update, Dwr4door; any news after the dealer visit?

I appreciate the heads up, Frustrated; I’ll look for your PM.

gpzrider,

I have your info from before, so please don’t hesitate to drop a line via PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a follow-up call.

Cory

I've been on vacation. Next week I will take it to the dealer for the work. I'll let you know.

We have the same issue, but the smell is not so much burnt oil as it is a catalytic converter type of smell. Has a hint rotten egg smell going on, along with an ozone type smell in there too. If you think it smells bad inside the car, it reeks on the outside. I did a hard acceleration from a stop light and ducked into a parking lot and when I stepped outside of the car, the smell was surprisingly strong. Not only that, but it lingered for a while. Went inside the building and came back out a few minutes later only to have it still smelling.

As for the smell inside the car, it is worse when the climate control system is on recirc as opposed to pulling in fresh air. I have yet to figure that one out.

I am becoming a bit concerned about the idea of exhaust fumes being pulled into the car.

I recently purchased a 2013 and noticed an exhaust type odor coming from the engine that would enter the cabin when the vents were open. It would also stink around the front of the car, specifically near the front right of the engine. After a lot of hootin and hollering at the dealer, they sent an engineer down to investigate the odor. Turns out, coolant vapors where escaping past the radiator cap and getting blown into the cabin. They tested this out on another 2013 model and found the same issue as well. The dealer ended up replacing the upper and lower hoses, the coolant reservoir, and the cap. Per the dealer, Ford is expected to make a modification to the model later this month due to this issue. Once the new parts were installed, the smell went away. Just wanted to throw this out there incase anyone is experiencing a similar type issue...don't want to be inhaling that stuff while driving down the road.

Wow......I was told by one of the district guys that......"this is the first I have heard of this" and the dealership I go to the service manager said the same....."we are one of the biggest dealership in the midsouth and I have never heard of this". So I'm thinking.....

A. This problem does not exist.
B. All the people that ride in my explorer are "smelling the car in front of us" (when most of the time there is none when this happens)
C. Ford does not want to admit this problem exist.
D. Or.........How I'm being treated by ford....I'm just making this up. (The people on this forurm are just making this up.
E. Or here's a good one. "Oh you read it on the forum, so now you have the problem".

I have an appointment next week to try and prove my case at the dealership. This should be fun.
One would not expect to have to do this when you buy one of there more expensive cars. But after dealing with my last car, toyota hybrid highlander, Which I got rid of because of this same problem with the service side of things. Looks like this explorer might have it's days numbered. pretty sad for a $52,000 vehicle.

I did get a call from a guy at Ford in customer service, but all he did was offer to help be a liaison with the dealer to help get it worked out. He did not claim it was a known problem with a known fix.

So what concerns me is that I will drop it off at the dealer with a full tank of gas, then pick it up a couple hours later with an empty tank of gas after a service guy has fun getting on it half the morning and find the diagnosis was "inconclusive".

$50 bucks in gas and time shot and still be in the same boat.

But maybe I'm just a pessimist?

I need to get it done but it's a 45 minute round trip (for two drivers) times two trips (drop off and pick up), gas for two cars, plus time there at the dealership. I was really hoping someone would have a known fix by now.

Wow......I was told by one of the district guys that......"this is the first I have heard of this" and the dealership I go to the service manager said the same....."we are one of the biggest dealership in the midsouth and I have never heard of this". So I'm thinking.....

A. This problem does not exist.
B. All the people that ride in my explorer are "smelling the car in front of us" (when most of the time there is none when this happens)
C. Ford does not want to admit this problem exist.
D. Or.........How I'm being treated by ford....I'm just making this up. (The people on this forurm are just making this up.
E. Or here's a good one. "Oh you read it on the forum, so now you have the problem".

I have an appointment next week to try and prove my case at the dealership. This should be fun.
One would not expect to have to do this when you buy one of there more expensive cars. But after dealing with my last car, toyota hybrid highlander, Which I got rid of because of this same problem with the service side of things. Looks like this explorer might have it's days numbered. pretty sad for a $52,000 vehicle.
From reading your post I don't get the impression that the dealer stated that there isn't a problem. The dealer just hasn't heard of it which is quite possible since communications with Ford doesn't seem to be a strong point. Also, with a large dealership there is a chance that someone may have had the problem but because another technician looked after it doesn't necessarily mean that every one else knows about it.
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until they have had an opportunity to check it out first.

Peter

I recently purchased a 2013 and noticed an exhaust type odor coming from the engine that would enter the cabin when the vents were open. It would also stink around the front of the car, specifically near the front right of the engine. After a lot of hootin and hollering at the dealer, they sent an engineer down to investigate the odor. Turns out, coolant vapors where escaping past the radiator cap and getting blown into the cabin. They tested this out on another 2013 model and found the same issue as well. The dealer ended up replacing the upper and lower hoses, the coolant reservoir, and the cap. Per the dealer, Ford is expected to make a modification to the model later this month due to this issue. Once the new parts were installed, the smell went away. Just wanted to throw this out there incase anyone is experiencing a similar type issue...don't want to be inhaling that stuff while driving down the road.
Hi splurph16, welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
There have been a few owners with this problem and some have had success in getting it addressed although the cure wasn't always the same. Perhaps that is why Ford hasn't come up with a positive fix yet.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Peter

This is a concern on my 2013 XLT..

I came from a 2005 Nissan Titan off road, and I modded it a lil.. So I always had my foot in it.

I traded in the Titan to save some money on fuel.

I really try to baby the Ex, but sometimes I need to get a lane over, or merge on the highway, and give it 3/4 petal.. and I have to deal with that smell, EVERY TIME!

I figured it was a brand new car, and might take a few thousand miles, or till the first oil change... but reading here that people are still having this problem at 15k is a concern.

I guess I will mention it at first service.

-ern

I had a 2008 cts 4 special edition and i had the same when i did a hard acceleration i smelled oil but nothing was wrong with it it was normal, cars used to have a pcv (pollution control valve ) today they dont have that; what is sad is that most people are bad talking etc... The explorer when i say with all heart that it's an awesome vehicle the ride, the room, all and all its awesome are they glitches yes but not the way people are making it sound are the bull **** service reps (tech) yes and that is where ford has to do the repair with these bull **** tech guys service centers etc.... ! I have had many ford vehicles and the one that was garbage was the windstar now that was crap but today ford is making and awesome product; now i dont work for ford trust me but when people like me who want the newest car in the block and its an all redisign vehicle this happen no matter what make it is and my dealership stand behind all there sales ! The reason for my venting is that i hate when people ***** and ***** !! The mft could it have been better yes but ford is working to make it better i wish it was apple but thats me !! Well come and rant on my comment but if you want the perfect car buy one that doesnt have a repair shop !! I mean it never breaks down !! Even maybach, porche etc.... They all have glitches !!

^ Soooo, what's your point?

When accelerating briskly, fumes are being pulled into the passenger cabin. That isn't normal, and saying it is normal doesn't make it so. I have never had any car do this before. Why does the Explorer do this, and how is it going to be fixed? Those are the only two questions that need to be answered. End of story.

Exactly, a steady stream of fumes blowing into your cabin is not normal. Per the dealer, my car was the first one to receive "the fix", by changing the hoses, coolant reservoir, and the cap. They also said that this situation will lead to a model modification. The fumes were giving me headaches, so I think that kind lit a fire under their shorts and they realized that they needed to find a solution. My issue may differ from others because it was a constant smell of fumes entering the cabin, once the car was warmed up. Wasn't necessarily caused by hard acceleration.

UPDATE:

The "valve cover fix" didn't work!

Sad, but true. My 2011 explorer xlt, now with 66,000 miles still has the smell even after a supposed fix for whatever they thought they found. Sheesh! You would think that in this day and age of technology that some stupid smell could be tracked down! I give up. All I can say is Thank God this is a company vehicle and I didn't pay for it. I am truly sorry for anyone that paid their own money for this disaster.

I have taken this thing to the dealer a half dozen times for this. Ford said they had a fix, guess not. Very sad!

Ugh!

Has anyone had a fix for this that has worked permanently? This is one of those "annoying" problems that I want to get fixed, but I don't want to take it to the dealer until there has been some success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still having the smell with mine. My Explorer is going back to the dealer soon to get the driver's seat cover replaced (premature wear), and I'm going to talk to them about it again...

Back