Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

53.8%
  2. ford explorer 2016 issues

46.2%
  1. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Funny how after 6 years, they are now all coming out of the wood work across the country.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    One thing is to take a consumer's complaint lightly, but when it comes to law enforcements; not so much!

4. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

Didnt even see that thread. But I'm wondering, and I'm sure this has crossed the minds of a few of us public safety guys.... I wonder if now that this has some traction, if some officers are making a stink together to blow this out of proportion, just because they hate the PIU and want a bigger sedan back instead? Maybe not plausible, but possible for sure.

5. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    I highly doubt this scenario is even plausible. Complaints in this forum were posted back in 2011 and it's not everyday a police officer, normally a highly skilled driver, drives over the median into oncoming traffic and then drives into a tree like what happened in Newport Beach, CA, which can be found on video. Secondly, officers and possibly some civilians are getting ill, one 30 year old NoCA officer claims to have suffered a stroke. Lastly, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is upgrading and expanding a probe into 1.33 million Ford Explorer SUVs. I hardly think that anyone (civilians and police) located in several states throughout the US are in collusion in an effort to try and blow something out of proportion. It's a lot simpler than that, the public and private sector want to drive a vehicle that is safe.

6. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    To play devil's advocate, there has NOT been 1 incident where they confirmed it was carbon monoxide poisoning. Even the crashes.. it was suggested but even Doctors nevwr confirmed it.

So the media is definitely eunni g with it but keep in mind it is the media and they will word it and spin it any way that benefits them.

7. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
  8. 1stXLT

1stXLT Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    2017 XLT
    202A, Tech pkg
    Well, today I experienced this for myself for the first time. I am not sure it was (CO) but it was a definite exhaust odor while I was merging into freeway traffic and forced to "floor it" which is not my normal driving habit. The odor was strong enough to make me open all my windows for a while. It was hot and I had my AC on MAX and on recirc mode. Maybe its just me but since then it seems like I smell some exhaust even during moderate acceleration.

9. dragonexplorer12

dragonexplorer12 Active Member

2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    Until now i still experience the bad smell especially when i accelerate under wide open throttle. Keep it at 3500rpm then step on it again to accelerate and smell will be there. The dealer i go to here in the Philippines admitted that all explorers sold here are affected and they have no 100% solution because Ford doesnt have the answer and would rather set the problem aside. Ford knows it is a costly solution.

Shame on you Ford! Exhaust odor is real!!! And now my Explorer is in the shop again for faulty rack and pinion 2nd time around.

Again, lucky you if you dont get the smell. My unit has it and Im not delusional. With this news out about the police officers getting sick, who would buy these explorers now especially the 2011-2014 model?

10. CommandPresence

CommandPresence Active Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
  11. stillmarried

stillmarried Member

City, State:
    South Dakota
    2017 FordExplorer Limited
    I am in line to getting the latest TSB 17-0044, ( link http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TSB-17-0044-Exhaust-Odor-in-Vehicle.pdf ) for my exhaust odor repair.
    TSB is 17 pages long, dated May 15, 2017,
    As soon as balance of parts order comes in, that is currently back ordered, the dealership will start the TSB repairs. I will follow up on the results when the work is done.
    Update, first part of the TSB was done, and I still have the exhaust odor after the work was done. Back to the dealer for another round.

Last edited: October 12, 2017
  12. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder
    should fix it, I see there they are sealing all the clips and grommets that enter into the hatch, I mentioned that was a huge problem before and looks like they should have it covered. There are still two large open area at the back 2 corners of the roof where it comes to a point, I didn't seal mine due to the size but just shoved some foam in there from the inside so debris etc wouldn't enter.
    If theres still a smell they weren't thorough or its from else where, something burning from exhaust heat or from the front etc.

Almost every panel at the back of the vehicle has to come off though:eek:

13. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    Whether you have an exhaust leak from a manifold or vacuum leak from the back end, if the cabin is sealed you should be fine. Unfortunately I think the vast majority of 5th generation Explorers have this same seal problem in the back end with PIU's maybe exacerbating the problem with modifications. I also think many owners will never experience an exhaust odor because some will never drive at WOT very often or at all. If this fix works for you, perhaps a manifold inspection and having this fix done on most, if not all Explorers, may finally mitigate the exhaust entering the cabin problem.

Last edited: August 16, 2017
  14. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, Ky
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    I had it done last week....... took them 2 days. I was able to make the smell happen almost on demand in my Explorer...... Happy to report, as hard as I tried, I could not duplicate any more. My c02 detector has shown no c02 since the fix. So far I'm a happy camper.

15. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Is it too soon to celebrate?:bounce:

Peter

16. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, Ky
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Don't know if it will fix everybody's....... but so far it's fixed mine..... if something changes in the days ahead.... I will let this group know after I park it at my dealers.

17. 613GT500

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    Any owners that dont have this issue, going to get the TSB performed?
    I'm still in the clear and for peace of mind, debating to get it done, but would prefer they don't peform the exhast tip bottom cut-out.

18. stang99gtv8

stang99gtv8 New Member

My biggest concern is not so much that they fix the smell from getting into the car, but that it smells at all! Why would anyone want something that is either brand new or just a few years old the wreaks every time you go over 3k rpm or bull up a hill, or have more than 2 people in it on the highway. I've had the initial TSB done on my 2015 XLT 4wd, with the exhaust turn down. Every time I put 5 people in the car, the whole car smells terrible. When I go up a hill every morning and stop at the top of that hill, it's like someone let off a stink bomb next to the car when the windows are down.

I wonder if many are getting excited that they don't smell it with the air on but aren't focusing on WHY it smells in the first place, and that this specific issue is what should be fixed.

19. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    The TSB requires that they duplicate the problem before doing the work. If you don't smell it, they probably won't do anything.

20. 613GT500

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    I definitely have the "smell" when going WOT, which does not appear to be abnormal to me as all of my other 3 vehicles give off the same smell...when going WOT.
    I've already tested for the 2nd time (first time when the vehcile was only a few months old) with a carbon monoxide detector (ones used for the home) and the PPMs always showed 0..

21. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Just because Ford says that, does t mean the dealer will follow that. My dealer will perform any TSB if a customer comes in complaining of the issue regardless of whether they duplicate it. Not all dealers are the same, some go above and beyond.

They are of the opinion that a customer isn't going to waste their time going in and complaining on an issue that doesnt exist (making it up) when there is TSB where Ford recognizes the issue. This is why I travel further to them then the closest dealer.