Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 119 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
can try wrapping it with header wrap and hose clamps as a temp fix if theres room. Before you "tamper" with it might be able to get emission warranty for the converter if they scan the code?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can try wrapping it with header wrap and hose clamps as a temp fix if theres room. Before you "tamper" with it might be able to get emission warranty for the converter if they scan the code?:D

Ha Warranty(as my father in-law puts it I'am the extended warranty).. I'm at 95600 already I ask for warranty now I'm pretty sure the service department would look at me like confused puppies considering most of are just that. I'm waiting for a recall or welding/replacing the converters myself.

Add my 2017 Sport built 06/2017 to the list. When I put the hammer down, I get strong exhaust odor in the cabin. Will be dropping off at dealer next w0eek. For this and other issues.

Got it dropped off yesterday at the dealer. Looking forward to seeing what they do. Better not give me the "unable to duplicate" BS. Will be taking a tech for a ride if that's the case and let him tell me that while the cabin is full of excaust...

Got it dropped off yesterday at the dealer. Looking forward to seeing what they do. Better not give me the "unable to duplicate" BS. Will be taking a tech for a ride if that's the case and let him tell me that while the cabin is full of excaust...

So just heard back from my dealer. The stated they verified the excaust odor but the parts are on back order for repair. When I asked what parts they advised the muffler for the excaust. Does this sound right? Why would they replace the muffler?

......... Why would they replace the muffler?
Check out the last couple pages shown in the link of post #2350 on the previous page.

Peter

Check out the last couple pages shown in the link of post #2350 on the previous page.

Peter

I have read the thread and the TSB. The TSB only shows changing out the muffler tips on the 3.5L ti-vct engine. I have the ecoboost twin turbo.

I have read the thread and the TSB. The TSB only shows changing out the muffler tips on the 3.5L ti-vct engine. I have the ecoboost twin turbo.
It mentions tips but in the parts list and description it mentions Muffler Assembly. I agree it refers to the 3.5L but perhaps that is what the dealer is going to do anyway. It seems very strange that the 3.5L Ecoboost isn't mentioned. Anyway, good luck.

Peter

It mentions tips but in the parts list and description it mentions Muffler Assembly. I agree it refers to the 3.5L but perhaps that is what the dealer is going to do anyway. It seems very strange that the 3.5L Ecoboost isn't mentioned. Anyway, good luck.

Peter

Thanks. I sent my adviser a msg and waiting to hear back. I mentioned the TSB and asked why they were replacing the muffler since mine is the ecoboost and not sealing the parts like the TSB states...

After the latest fix with changing the exhaust to make the flow towards down, there is a big deference but the smell still there.

i did some additional sealing on the back door to make sure there is no leaking point but also the smell is there.

i believe the smell also finds a way to leak inside from the front " fresh air intake"
fresh_air_intake.jpg

since the cat converters is located right next to the engine i think they are our main issue.

i have noticed after every long drive when i go out of the car i immediately smell the same smell from the sides, if i come closer to the front tiers the smell gets stronger. which prove it's a cat converters issue.

i don't know why ford designers put the cat converters is such location , should be right beneath the car like most of the cars, easy to change also will not cause extra heat to the engine room.

i think the best way to fix this issue to change the entire exhaust system from the engine to the end back and relocate the cats to be beneath the car.

also ford needs to check the front a\c fresh air intake this is also may cause the issue.

It Seems no one pay attention to my post.

Well today i can say i'm 99% sure that smell is coming from the front and to rotten egg smell is from the catalyst converter comes from the front . Prove?

Go ahead find an old car that have back exhaust and smokes and smells a lot. park your Explorer behind it and turn the A/C on with a/c circulation ON, without turning on the the rear A/C.
let someone hit the gas in that old car while you are in your explorer and just smell the nice exhaust smell from that old car inside your cabin.

few days ago i parked behind an old car waiting for someone, my A/C on without the rear A/C, A/C circulation ON and that guy in front of me starts to hit the gas without a reason. then i immediately smelled his exhaust inside my cabin !! how come ? there is no way that smell came from behind, both of us are completely stopping all windows are closed . A/C Circulation was ON.at least for me proves the smell comes from the front and there is something wrong the the HVAC, the circulation is not working perfectly which causing this issue.

The rotten egg (sulphur) smell has been around since the catalytic convertor was introduced back around 1975 and it is produced by the convertor, usually when you force a large amount of exhaust through it at one time. It is a different issue than the burning exhaust smell and there is a separate thread on it. The cabin is not sealed and air tight . You are bound to get outside air into it even with the "recirculation" on. Also, just because no one replied to your earlier post doesn't mean that no one is paying attention to it. They just didn't have any comments. BTW, the is what your Manual says about using recirculation......."may also reduce unwanted odors from entering your vehicle". Note that is says may reduce.

Peter

It Seems no one pay attention to my post.

Well today i can say i'm 99% sure that smell is coming from the front and to rotten egg smell is from the catalyst converter comes from the front . Prove?

Go ahead find an old car that have back exhaust and smokes and smells a lot. park your Explorer behind it and turn the A/C on with a/c circulation ON, without turning on the the rear A/C.
let someone hit the gas in that old car while you are in your explorer and just smell the nice exhaust smell from that old car inside your cabin.

few days ago i parked behind an old car waiting for someone, my A/C on without the rear A/C, A/C circulation ON and that guy in front of me starts to hit the gas without a reason. then i immediately smelled his exhaust inside my cabin !! how come ? there is no way that smell came from behind, both of us are completely stopping all windows are closed . A/C Circulation was ON.at least for me proves the smell comes from the front and there is something wrong the the HVAC, the circulation is not working perfectly which causing this issue.

Cabins are not sealed.. they can't be 100% sealed otherwise you would blow your windows out when you go to close your doors. There are vents in the bodies of all vehicles to let the pressure out when you close the vehicle.

Hell in the back of my F350 there are 2 black vents in the rear of the cab installed specifically for this. I smell old vehicles in front of me in every vehicle I've ever driven.

Heck, wouldn't you run out of oxygen if the vehicle was completely sealed?? Think about it.

I heard back from my service advisor who stated there is another TSB out and it requires changing out the muffler system and changing out 4 grill shutters... The parts are backordered but they hope to have them next week sometime.

Well that's great. These idiots don't seem to know what their doing. Now I'm not sure I want them touching my vehicle.
On item 34 of TSB 17-0044, mentions to replace as needed the rubber flap assemblies back on the left and right rear quarter panels. This part, BB5Z61280B62B, is referred to as an air extractor in the TSB and as a grille assembly on the service ticket.

Cabins are not sealed.. they can't be 100% sealed otherwise you would blow your windows out when you go to close your doors. There are vents in the bodies of all vehicles to let the pressure out when you close the vehicle.

Hell in the back of my F350 there are 2 black vents in the rear of the cab installed specifically for this. I smell old vehicles in front of me in every vehicle I've ever driven.

Heck, wouldn't you run out of oxygen if the vehicle was completely sealed?? Think about it.

Totally agree and i'm aware of that no car is Sealed 100%. but my point is the circulation is not working perfectly and the HVAC keeps sucks air from outside otherwise i should not smell the exhaust immediately.

if you check my previous comment i have mention the catalytic converter location causing this issue. if they didn't seal the front and fix the A/C circulation, they will not solve this issue and there will be only one solution which is relocate the catalytic converter to right beneath the car

The rotten egg (sulphur) smell has been around since the catalytic convertor was introduced back around 1975 and it is produced by the convertor, usually when you force a large amount of exhaust through it at one time. It is a different issue than the burning exhaust smell and there is a separate thread on it. The cabin is not sealed and air tight . You are bound to get outside air into it even with the "recirculation" on. Also, just because no one replied to your earlier post doesn't mean that no one is paying attention to it. They just didn't have any comments. BTW, the is what your Manual says about using re circulation......."may also reduce unwanted odors from entering your vehicle". Note that is says may reduce.

Peter

Thank you for your reply Peter. you have been helpful all the time.

Note that is says may reduce.

I didn't see that in the manual but this is a bad news. re circulation will be never fully closed so they have to go for the relocate the catalytic converter which is not easy.

if you are smelling exhaust from the front of the vehicle I would find the source of the leak, no smell should be emitting from the engine compartment area whatsoever. Kind of like saying its annoying to repeatedly fill up your tires when they have a nail stuck in them.
Many cars have the catalytic convertors in the engine compartment.

if you are smelling exhaust from the front of the vehicle I would find the source of the leak, no smell should be emitting from the engine compartment area whatsoever. Kind of like saying its annoying to repeatedly fill up your tires when they have a nail stuck in them.
Many cars have the catalytic convertors in the engine compartment.

After a long drive or hard acceleration, if i step down of the car while the engine is running, i do smell that rotten egg smell from the front close to the tiers in both sides of the vehicle. which means they are the Catalytic converter smell, the exact same smell that appears after hard acceleration inside the cabin which mean there is a leak maybe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard back from my service advisor who stated there is another TSB out and it requires changing out the muffler system and changing out 4 grill shutters... The parts are backordered but they hope to have them next week sometime.
As mentioned by member stillmarried and as an after thought, it may not be the 'Active Grill Shutter' that they plan to replace. After my reply I was wondering if there were other 'shutters' in the vehicle.

Peter

Back