Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

53.8%
  2. ford explorer 2016 issues

46.2%
  1. JDC81

JDC81 New Member

City, State:
    Forney, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 Explorer XLT FWD V6
    The Dealer still has mine. Spoke with the advisor today and it sounds like the whole TSB is being done. I'll know for sure when I get it back end of the week, but they had to do the whole process. Parts were ordered and took a while to arrive, sounds like a fair demand for them. I hope after all this that it's gone.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. stillmarried

stillmarried Member

City, State:
    South Dakota
    2017 FordExplorer Limited
    Be skeptical, my ford dealer, Scott Peterson Motors, told me they did the whole 17 pages of the TSB. When we came it to pick up the Ex, I asked if they also replaced the exhaust parts of the TSB, and they said NO. I guess I do not understand FORDspeak. By the way the exhaust odor is still there after the first part of the TSB was done, so back to the dealer for me!

• Like Like x 1
  4. CommandPresence

CommandPresence Active Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
    Everyone please see the following PDF that was done on my vehicle: http://www.mfmafleet.us/Doxs/17B25 - Technical Instructions.pdf

It should be noted that my vehicle WAS used for Police work in the past before my purchase, and all upfitting holes were previously plugged after equipment was removed.

Had all the "new" work done via the customer satisfaction repair number 17B25 about 3 weeks ago, they welded small turndown tips on the existing mufflers. In addition all the other repairs were done to try and fix the fumes, no improvement in the issues. I gave Ford the time, but unfortunately I am getting rid of the vehicle as soon as I settle on a new truck from a different manufacturer.

5. JDC81

JDC81 New Member

City, State:
    Forney, TX
    2015 Explorer XLT FWD V6
    Just got it back from the dealer. The 1st part of the TSB was done. I haven't smelled anything yet, but I couldn't lay into it while in traffic. Tomorrow I will and report back

6. JDC81

JDC81 New Member

City, State:
    Forney, TX
    2015 Explorer XLT FWD V6
    It seems to be much improved, not nearly as strong, but its not completely gone either. I'll have to make another appt. I also noticed after hard acceleration, the climate control switched from recirculate to outside air. I'm going to test this more on the way home tonight to confirm it.

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Automatic switching will only occur if you have the Climate set to Auto and then it is only to regulate the inside temperature.

Peter

8. PrettyToughGirl

PrettyToughGirl New Member

City, State:
    Ramona, CA
    2015, Ford Explorer Sport
    I bought a CO monitor and tried it out today. I had the Tsb performed last week and as soon as I accelerated above 3500 rpms the exhaust smell filled my cabin. I had a rental car for a few days and tested out the monitor in that first. The levels stayed at 5 or 6 ppm no matter how high I brought the RPM's up on that Cherokee. Put it in my Explorer today and the second I brought my rpms up above 3500 the monitor went up to 26ppm. This is after Ford supposedly fixed my car.

9. bigtexan99

bigtexan99 Active Member

2016 Explorer Sport
    Can you tell us which brand / model of CO monitor you have?

As far as the HVAC switching from RECIRC to FRESH, I believe they are now reprogramming the HVAC to switch to FRESH after it detects hard acceleration.

10. PrettyToughGirl

City, State:
    Ramona, CA
    Oops! It's the Sensorcon Inspector. Also, I took the car out again and tried a bunch of different scenarios with it. It skyrocketed with the A/C on in recirc as I expected (it actually went up to 56ppm) but surprisingly it also went up with no A/C on, with the A/C on but not in recirc. And with the whole climate system turned off and windows and sunroof open.

Last edited: October 14, 2017
  11. Summers22

Summers22 Active Member

City, State:
    Kansas
    2016 Limited 4x4 3.5
    What TSB # are you referring to?

12. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
    KC MO. area
    2013 Explorer Limited AWD
    TSB17-0044

13. Summers22

Summers22 Active Member

City, State:
    Kansas
    2016 Limited 4x4 3.5
    Thanks tinner, we meet again!

14. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
    KC MO. area
    Get back on the F150 Forum, lol.

15. Floatman

Floatman New Member

City, State:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    2017 EX, Ltd, 300A, V6
  16. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
    KC MO. area
    I don't think Ford would have done the recall if the Feds hadn't put the heat on the them. This issue has been going on for years and Ford did what, keep on selling them -status quo. It took police depts. to rank them off the streets and national news and then Ford finally stepped up. Miracles do happen.

17. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    This isn't a recall, and further, the investigation hasn't ended from NHTSA. We may still see a recall even after the customer satisfaction program action.

18. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
    KC MO. area
    My bad - I had recall on the brain today after finding out Ford is recalling F150s for faulty door latches, which includes 15-17MY and that's me. So the Ex. and the truck will be going to the dealer in the near future.Good times.

19. BMB

BMB New Member

City, State:
    Louisiana
    2017 Explorer Limited
    I bought my 2014 Explorer brand new from the dealership a few years ago and I have the exhaust issue, but your post got me thinking. My wife was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. To date, doctors can't determine what causes MS but the current thinking is that environmental factors affect those with pre-existing markers. We take my vehicle everywhere and your post got me wondering if the two could be connected.

Also interesting, is the fact that after my last service Ford called me and offered to buy my vehicle back out of the blue. Said they're having trouble finding Explorers that are in good condition that they can recertify and because of this can make me a good deal. They don't know anything about my wife's diagnosis and I don't think I ever reported the exhaust issue to them. I am planning on meeting with them this weekend to see what they have to offer on a new 2017.

Anything I should be concerned about here?

20. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis.
    As for the call from Ford, that is just a chance for them to sell you a new vehicle while getting an older one in good condition in return. I lease my vehicles and both my 2011 Limited and 2014 MKT never saw the end of the lease due to the dealership wanting to get them back. Mine always have very, very low mileage on them. I doubt my current one will see the end of its 4 year lease as well. I'll have it a year on Halloween and by that time I should have about 3,000 miles on it.

Peter

21. PrettyToughGirl

City, State:
    Ramona, CA
    The 2017's have the same exhaust issue- I wouldn't buy one unless you go in with a CO monitor that displays low levels of CO and take that thing out full throttle over 3500 rpms and make sure the levels test out ok.