Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

53.8%
  2. ford explorer 2016 issues

46.2%
  1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Do you get those high readings at full throttle with the windows closed?

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. PrettyToughGirl

PrettyToughGirl New Member

City, State:
    Ramona, CA
    2015, Ford Explorer Sport
    Nope. Ford has performed all of the Tsb's and sealed the car up pretty well I guess?? But still not sure why the exhaust is being sucked in when the windows are open.

4. marksmith9

marksmith9 New Member

City, State:
    boston
    2017 Ford Explorer XLT
    My local ford dealer told me 2018 explorer does not have this smell issue. But I doubt it. Does anyone still have this issue with 2018 explorer? Thanks.

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
    No one here has a 2018 yet. From what I gather only a very few dealers have received them.

Peter

6. stillmarried

stillmarried Member

City, State:
    South Dakota
    2017 FordExplorer Limited
    Dealer finished the 17N03 service for my 2017 today, then they took it out for a test drive and they still smell exhaust in the cabin after the service. The dealer is waiting for Ford to provide additional processes. The dealer will contact me when they have an update from Ford.

7. gypsy321

gypsy321 New Member

City, State:
    Ontario , Canada
    2015 Explorer LTD

If you burn fuel by any means ...........carbon monoxide is created.............you silly person. If subjected to it long enough and at strong enough levels YOU will be DEAD

8. stillmarried

stillmarried Member

City, State:
    South Dakota
    We have our usual hill that we climb when we come into town, and while one drives; the other pulls out the CO meter to see what the CO readings inside the cabin are. In both the 2015 and 2017, the typical range was a low of 4 up to 17 ppm CO. One concern was that sometimes get the exhaust odor and a high CO reading, other times we smelled exhaust, but we did not get a high reading on the CO meter, and other times we did not smell exhaust and get the 17 ppm on the meter. Well today, we recorded a reading of 114 ppm CO on the meter, but did not get the exhaust odor in the cabin. I took a picture of the screen on the meter to show the dealer. Last year when I tested the meter, this 114 ppm CO was about the reading I got right at the exhaust pipe. I contacted the dealer last week to see what Ford repair was available since the recent 17N03 service did not fix the problem, and the dealer did not have any updates from Ford at this time.
    Oh well, good thing my Ford stock only went down 7% this week.
    I am going to try Black Eyed's suggestion to cover the fresh air intake louvers to see of the smell goes away. Will report back.

9. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    Yes, I have a 2018 and I have noticed the smell. I have the 2.3 Ecoboost.
    I am just seeing this thread now, have 1700 miles on it. I have not read all the comments.
    Is there a recall on th8s issue? By the way, I my $47,000 Explorer is also leaking transmission fluid. This is a company vehicle, and I can’t get any dealer in the SF Bay Area to get me in for 2 weeks. Great Flleet service from Ford.....

10. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    No 'Recall' but there is a thread here on this issue but I don't know if it covers the 2018 models. Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Peter

11. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
  12. Explorer XLT 17

Explorer XLT 17 Member

City, State:
    Plant City, Florida
    2017 Explorer XLT
    As to your Tranny fluid leak, my 2017 was leaking as well. It was caused by a loose fitting into the transmission. Service manger stated he has seen quite a few in for this problem. Hopefully yours will be the same.

13. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    Thanks, I hope it is something as simple as a loose fitting. I will mention it to the Service Advisor, I have an appointment 2/14. I am still noticing a burnt exhaust smell after acceleration. My wife was in the car with me yesterday and she smelled it. I just know it can't be healthy
    air with that smell. You would think Ford would have this generation Explorer figured out by now....

14. swtbrad

swtbrad New Member

City, State:
    Georgetown
    2017 Explorer Limited
    I took my 2017 explorer to the dealer today for the 17N03 repair after experiencing the exhaust smell in the cabin and and 26 ppm on a CO meter. The dealer completed the repairs and after two test drives I have not had the smell or registered anything on the CO meter.

• Like Like x 2
  15. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Good news!

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  16. dx492

dx492 New Member

2017 Explorer LTD
    Would you please share what CO monitor you have? I bought a basic $20 unit that lacks digital readout; would like to get a better one. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dx492

dx492 New Member

2017 Explorer LTD
    I had the "Customer Satisfaction Program" 17N03 completed on my 2017 3.5L 4WD LTD Explorer (3900 miles). I still smell something on hard acceleration. I brought it to the dealer today, and they said that if Ford will approve it, they'll replace the muffler.

I've found two TSB's related to this: 16-0166 and 17-0044 (in addition to the 17N03 program--is there a separate TSB associated with 17N03?). Both TSB's advise to replace the muffler with one that has down-facing exhaust ports if the initial procedure fails to fix the problem.

I've got zero confidence that this will make any difference. I'm fairly confident that the issue is that exhaust is leaking into the engine compartment and getting into the fresh air intake.

Have people had success with just getting 17N03 and also having the muffler replaced?

18. HamHands

HamHands Active Member

City, State:
    Atlanta, GA
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    I'm going to tell everyone here what finally eradicated the Wide Open Throttle response/carbon monoxide, "Smell" in the cabin... The problem exists because the stock engine/tune runs too damned rich! For those that don't know what that means do some research on what: "Running Rich" in an internal combustion engine means... I got an "SSI" Performance 93 Tune Computer Tuner Kit; installed it... and no more stink. It leaned out the mixture to say it simple! The "Tune" leaned out the mixture of fuel to air ratio and I literally have zero cabin smell under wide open throttle. I gained probably 75+ horses and even more torque... all the while gaining 1.1 miles per gallon as well; and the Explorer Sport runs like it should have from the factory... FAST! I smell no more of the toxic crap anymore and I'm enjoying the Sport Truck the way she should be now.

19. stillmarried

stillmarried Member

City, State:
    South Dakota
    Appreciate you providing this info. I looked up the website for SSI, but it is over my head; will need to do some studying.

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Getting rid of the 'smell' doesn't mean that carbon monoxide isn't still entering the cabin since it is odourless. If the exhaust smell was there at one time then that indicates there are openings that allowed it to enter the cabin.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Peter is exactly right. The problem isn’t really the smell, it’s the intrusion of gassed into the cabin. Even with an extremely clean burn there’s CO in the exhaust.

Besides, I don’t think a true solution is having to run 93 octane. I’d be willing to bet running leaner, and at 75 more HP the longevity of the motor, and other components like the PTU would be reduced as well.