Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I picked up my Explorer Sport Friday and have also noticed the burnt oil smell in the cabin already.

I don't think this is the burnt oil smell either. I didn't smell sulfur. I smelled burnt oil.

Hi Mdanielswv18 and broken strut,

Make an appointment at your dealerships so they can take a look; that's going to be your best first step in getting this addressed. Let me know how things go and feel free to touch base with me if you need assistance.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My appointment is the Wed. after Christmas....Wooohooo

Picking up my Ex at 5pm. They did the tsb on it. Good excuse to drive it hard and see if it is fixed.

*Crossing Fingers* I hope you come back with good news! =)

Lmao.. sorry guys.. it is my wife's car so i dont drive it much. So far no smell but it doesnt happen everytime. When it was at the dealer, they said they thought they could smell it but wasnt sure so they did it just to be safe

Thanks for the update! Cheers!

My dealer said they didnt smell it and that since I only had 500 miles on it, it is the smell of the coating on the exhaust. I even showed them the tsb and they treated me like Im an idiot. Im sure I reallly wanted to get up early on my day off and take my brand new 50 k car into the dealer because I dont know the difference between paint burning and oil or exhaust fumes. Nothing like being treated like an idiot first thing in the morning. If there is a tsb with a ton of people having trouble shouldnt they have just completed the tsb out of safety sake? Glad Im hauling my 10 month old baby around with the possibility of exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Lmao.. sorry guys.. it is my wife's car so i dont drive it much. So far no smell but it doesnt happen everytime. When it was at the dealer, they said they thought they could smell it but wasnt sure so they did it just to be safe

Great news, blwnsmoke! If you need any additional assistance, just give me a heads up.

Crystal

Got my Explorer back Thursday from getting the TSB done, and so far I haven't noticed the smell :). Hopefully that's the end of it....

Got my Explorer back Thursday from getting the TSB done, and so far I haven't noticed the smell :). Hopefully that's the end of it....
Hey JDraper. Is this a new TSB or one that is already listed in the 'Sticky'?

Peter

This is the one that came out about a week ago. See post #498 in this thread.

This is the one that came out about a week ago. See post #498 in this thread.
Thank you. I did read that, however my feeble mind didn't relate one to the other. Just finished snowblowing the driveway and I guess the ol' grey matter hadn't completely thawed out yet.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.:thumbsup:
Hope the fix holds up.

Peter

Gotta ask you... Did your service dept. require you to leave your ex an extended time so they can pull the rear bumper to decipher which (between 3 different parts) they have to replace as stated in the tsb??

I do not understand why service cant order in all 3 parts, as they will most likely need the other 2 for other ex's with the problem.

Mine will go in on 26th...

-ern

Gotta ask you... Did your service dept. require you to leave your ex an extended time so they can pull the rear bumper to decipher which (between 3 different parts) they have to replace as stated in the tsb??

I do not understand why service cant order in all 3 parts, as they will most likely need the other 2 for other ex's with the problem.

-ern

Weird that you say that, they ordered 4 parts for mine.

-ern

Nope..they ordered them ahead of time. However, they did come up one drain valve short for the tailgate. It's on order and the truck goes back in to have it popped in (3 second job) when it arrives.

-ern
Good luck with the fix ern3. I personally try to avoid appointments the day prior to or after a holiday. Season's Greetings to you and yours.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my ex into the dealership and I told my service advisor about the tsb about the smell he don't even have a clue what I'm talking about is there a code or name of better saying it instead of tsb? Thanks folks

Back