Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

53.8%
  2. ford explorer 2016 issues

46.2%
  1. doinit10

doinit10 New Member

City, State:
    Harrisonville, MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Limited 4WD 302A
    What is the "PTU" fluid and what does it have to do with the smell?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dwr4door

Dwr4door New Member

City, State:
    TX
    2011 Explorer
    After a year and a half the smell is finally gone! Looks like the fix "fixed" it. Too bad it took sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long. ;)

I dropped it off at the dealership in the morning. They furnished me with a rental. I picked up the Explorer in the afternoon and the smell was finally gone.

Thanks.

4. Bryceb

Bryceb Active Member

City, State:
    Acworth, GA
    2013 Explorer Limited AWD
    The PTU is the Power Transfer Unit. Sort of like the equivalent of a transfer case on our Explorers.

5. wcharon

wcharon Active Member

City, State:
    Puerto Rico
    Explorer Limited 2011
    Can you detail what exactly was made to the truck?????

6. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Thanks for keeping us updated, Hazegray. It sounds like you're in good hands at your dealership. Let us know how things go in the coming weeks!

I'm glad to hear that this was resolved for you, Dwr4door! May you have many fresh-smelling journeys ahead of you. :D

Crystal

7. djstatix

djstatix Member

City, State:
    Killeen, TX
    2001 explorer sport
    Ok, what do i tell the service department to describe the situation. Is there some kinda service number or other means to get this issue addressed?

Thanks in advance!

8. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    McVeytown, PA
    '18 XLT
    It's posted in the thread in several places..

9. Arc446

Arc446 New Member

2011 Explorer
    Glad to hear your smell seems to be resolved. I take mine into the dealer again on Monday for a ride a long. Too bad Texas is too far or me to drive right now because I'd take it to your dealer !!! All my dealer has done so far has been given me the "deer in the headlights " look when I describe the smell to them, they don't know the TSB # and can't find it , and neither can the Regional CSM...pretty sad.

10. CajunFordEx

CajunFordEx Active Member

City, State:
    Cajun Country La
    2017 Kia Sorento LX
    Callsign:
    KC5OAO
    It looks to me like you need to PM Crystal and get a Ford Regional Rep involved. Also take it to a different dealer.

11. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Did you give them the TSB number? (12-12-4)
    Maybe you should print off the post #12 in the Exhaust Smell thread and bring it along.

Peter

12. Arc446

Arc446 New Member

2011 Explorer
    Yep. Got Crystal involved and she got the regional rep for my area involved. He's the one who also couldn't find the TSB. It would be rather funny if it wasn't so darn pathetic. I will most likely print it off for them as well. However They apparently have to smell the problem first before doing anything. Hence the ride along on Monday.

13. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Eat a lot of beans tomorrow. :D

Peter

14. tryan1977

tryan1977 New Member

To the top you go. This is a flawed vehicle. Thanks 'ford'. Lower case because you just got your ass handed to you by Hyundai. Haha Hyundai? I wish i could see the faces in the boardroom. Poor sacks.

15. gpzrider

gpzrider Active Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2012 Limited 4x4
    My Ex is at the dealer right now getting the exhaust smell TSB done. I'll report on that when I pick it up. I've suffered with it for over 10k miles. Also, took the tranny mechanic for a little test drive to show him the "transmission bump" issue. I went less than 400 yards from the service bay and he said, "I've seen enough, no need to drive more". This of course is after they fixed it once before with a "software" upgrading.

16. Arc446

Arc446 New Member

2011 Explorer

Lol !! :eek:

17. HughCares

HughCares Active Member

City, State:
    Ontario
    2012 Explorer Limited

feel better now? (all lower case just for you)....wish I could see your face...poor sack....go buy a Hyundai.

18. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Not sure what this is all about but the Hyundai-Kia group has put out some of the best vehicles in the past few years. They are a very serious force in the automotive industry and have taken sales away from many of the more established manufacturers.
    As the Explorer being a 'flawed' vehicle, I'm not sure what you are basing that opinion on. It like many redesigned vehicles has had some issues, just like many others have. Mine has been virually flawless and has performed as expected. It has been a solid vehicle for me and the owners of other Explorers I have spoken to are also very happy with theirs. I have excellent service from both the vehicle and the dealership and wouldn't hestitate to do it all over again.
    Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. (FYI. the penny production stops Feb. 4th here in Canada)

Peter

19. tslate

tslate New Member

2013 Explorer Limited
    I was actually trying to find information on poor acceleration of the 2013 Explorer but found this. Which is ironic since the burnt oil smell happened to me right after I floored it. The two times I did this I was going probably 50-60 and was trying to pass. Both times not only did the truck not respond as much as I'd like after all the the whining of the pistons I ended up with the smell. So good to see there's a resolution but am I expecting too much on the acceleration issue? Also it's winter now (about 20-30) in the mornings and it really seems to take a lot of warmup to just go. Owned a 1988 Explorer for 13 years before colliding with a deer, hence the new truck, about 6 months old. I never used to go this long without an oil change but have kept to the every 5K miles(I'm almost at 10K now), so opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum tslate.:wavey:
    Sorry to hear about the smell issue. I have a 2011 and have used the 'passing gear' several times and all is good. Lucky maybe?
    No problem with get up and go either. It was -18F for a few days last week. Crazy weather all around. It is supposed to reach 54F tomorrow with rain.
    Opinions on oil changes are all over the map. Everyone has their own. I do mine every 6 months or 5000 miles. Since I only have aound 8000 miles in almost 2 years, the time interval always comes first. I'm retired and do mostly short trips around town.
    Happy motoring.

Peter

21. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi djstatix,

Just a heads up that I responded to your PM. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the endorsement, CajunFordEx!

Let me know how things go at the dealership, Arc446. I'm happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM; just send me a PM with your updated mileage and I'll do the rest.

Hi tslate,

Making an appointment at your dealership is a good first step to get the smell and acceleration concerns addressed. I'm happy to see how I can help as well; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal