Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 1banger, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

1. exhaust solution

50.0%
  2. ford explorer 2016 issues

50.0%
  1. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Dwr4door & soloxx,

I arranged for you to be called by the end of the day today. Let me know via PM if you’d like me to forward any more details.

Cory

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. cnsheets

cnsheets Active Member

2011 Explemoner
    JV64..... What did you trade in for?

4. arc40

arc40 New Member

City, State:
    North Carolina
    My 2011 XLT also has the burning oil smell upon acceleration. It is quite embarrassing...not to mention it makes you want to gag when it happens. I'm also pretty sure it cannot be healthy... no amount of persuasion on this aspect is going to convince me otherwise. Exhaust fumes are supposed to be outside of the vehicle for a reason. I am amazed that people are basically being told they need to "deal with it" . I think Ford should offer a trade in without a loss if an affected customer chooses to go with a different vehicle. Since it does not seem to be an issue with all customers, it would at least be a opportunity for Ford to save face on an embarassing situation. I am curious to see how long affected drivers put up with this before someone goes to the press.

5. Dwr4door

Dwr4door New Member

City, State:
    TX
    2011 Explorer
    Thanks Cory,

They did call me. They said there is a new replacement "a" pillar part that has been ordered for me. They will also look at the smell issue....again. I hope it works out this time.

I appreciate your assistance.

6. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Frisco, TX
    2013 Explorer Limited
    Even if aerodynamics are at play here, the real issue is why are the engines producing this noxious odor? The only time any of my cars have produced odors from the engine bay is after an oil change, and that goes away after a day or two.

So either the Ex is pulling its own exhaust into the cabin (deadly), or some chemical is burning off the engine and getting pulled into the cabin (possibly very hazardous). Either way, this could very well be a serious health issue depending on the composition of these gases.

I find it difficult to believe that Ford would think that either of the above scenarios was safe, much less normal, but apparently they do. We need to find a way to have these gases/fumes/odors analyzed to determine their toxicity. This could be something far more menacing than a simply offensive smell.

7. Bill2654

Bill2654 New Member

2012 Explorer
    Report the problem to NHSTA

If Ford won't do anything about this, file a report with NHSTA (if you're in the states).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

8. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    arc40,

I want to see that this issue is resolved for you, so I’ll forward the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. I have your Explorer’s VIN from previous messages, so please send a PM with your contact information, mileage, and dealer name/state.

You’re welcome, Dwr4door. I’m confident the dealer will take care of you.

Cory

9. LM614

LM614 New Member

2011 Ford Explorer, Base
    I have had this problem from the start. My current mileage is approx 4,500. Recently, i took some ford technicians for the test drive and they were able to detect the smell. However, they said it did not smell like burnt oil/ exhaust fumes.

The test was done with the AC and recycle button on. However, when I did the same test with the recycle button off I could not detect any smell.

This seems to be a new development as I am sure that this was not the case in the beginning.

Any thoughts?

10. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I have had my Limited for 11 months and have not experienced that smell nor the 'A' pillar issue (so far).

Peter

11. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    I want to see that this is resolved for you, LM614. I have your Explorer’s details from other PMs, so drop a line and I’ll arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Cory

12. LM614

LM614 New Member

2011 Ford Explorer, Base
    I have been asked to bring my car into the garage so that they can "look at the filters and the evaporator for any mould inclusion".

13. Dwr4door

Dwr4door New Member

City, State:
    TX
    2011 Explorer
    Okay,

I took my 2011 XLT back to the dealership today. They installed the updated "A" pillars. They also said they found what was causing "the smell".

From what I can gather, Pressure was causing oil to get into one of the air filters (still not quite sure which one) and saturated it, and then dripping onto the exhaust manifold. They said that Ford is working on a fix. they cleaned the housing, replaced the filter and told me to pick it up tomorrow and wait for the fix. This is after 38,000 miles of this.

This is probably the same thing that is going on with the rest of your Explorers, but you should take yours to your dealerships service department and have them take a look at that area. I will post more detailed information tomorrow after I pick it up. Also, I hope the "A" pillar problem is fixed too.

At least I have some kind of answer.

More to come....

Thanks Cory,

Ford customer relations has also been working on this and are fully up to date on the situation.

They are trying.

14. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Frisco, TX
    2013 Explorer Limited
    Interesting.... we look forward to hearing more about this. Thanks for keeping us posted.

15. Bonnie Lynn

Bonnie Lynn Member

City, State:
    West, Texas (Central Texas)
    2011 Limited
    I hope this does indeed fix this smell. Please keep us up-to-date, as I have around 10,200 miles on my 2011 Ex, and it still has this smell, but you've had to deal with this for 38,000 miles. Wow!

Cory, will this be an issue every Ford dealership will be aware of?

16. FordService

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    You’re welcome, Dwr4door. I’m confident they’ll get this worked out for you. :)

Yes, Bonnie; the dealer does have resources to find out this information.

Cory

17. Akmechanic

Akmechanic Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Fairbanks, AK
    2012 XLT Ex
    My 2012 XLT build date 11/23/2011 had the smell for about 500 miles. I live in AK and after delivery of the Ex we had the 5th coldest January on record, which means long idle times and heater on full blast most of the time. I guessed the smell was solvents evaporating out of the plastic heat ducts etc since it was worse after idling for a period. Then again, at -50, it takes quite a bit of throttle to make it move too... At any rate, just about the time I was going to take it in, it stopped doing it, so then I was very confident it was the solvents in the plastics. I have tried to reproduce it after reading this thread and it's still good to go. Sounds like I was way off. Lol.

Very intersting thread and I hope Bonnie's dealer has the answer for it.

18. Dwr4door

Dwr4door New Member

City, State:
    TX
    2011 Explorer
    Update:

I picked up the xlt today.

The service department said that, yes, oil was leaking from a tube onto the engine air filter and exhaust due to some kind of a problem with the valve cover.

It looks like Ford is working on a fix. Hope it's soon!

On an even better news front, the new upgraded "A" pillars really do work. Yay! The noises are gone.

I hope Ford gets a fix for the leak soon. I'm just glad the ball is finally rolling.

I don't know why this affects some Explorers but not others. I guess it will all come out eventually.

19. Akmechanic

Akmechanic Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Fairbanks, AK
    2012 XLT Ex
    Dwr4Door,
    Thanks for the update! Out of curiosity (in case I need to look out for mine) what engine do you have?

20. Dwr4door

Dwr4door New Member

City, State:
    TX
    2011 Explorer
    3.5L V6

I think that's the only one other than the Ecoboost.

2011 XLT

Built in July 2011. :)

38,000 miles already! I know. It's a work vehicle and I cover a lot of ground.

21. LM614

LM614 New Member

2011 Ford Explorer, Base
    I mentioned this to my dealer, he said that all fords have this problem i.e. specs of oil spraying on the filter! I guess the problem is much worse with the Explorer hence the smell.

They are currently looking at my filters and evaporator. Will let you know what they discover.