Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 98 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I just picked up the explorer from the dealer with the updated exhaust. The tips look similar to Black Eyed's above but his appear to be oval. The turndowns are hidden within the tips and look as good as the originals. Only time will tell if this fixes the problem. I will test it on Saturday with the air monitor from work to confirm.

Nice keep us updated for sure!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone. I have a new 2015 Explorer LTD. It has the exhaust fume problem under hard acceleration. The entire cabin fills with fumes and is unbearable to drive. Purchased this vehicle brand new with 200 miles, now has 2500. I have had the TSB done 14-0130, where they change out the left side air extractor and use sealant for the back bumper etc., This has not helped the problem.
I saw this post on the new exhaust.

Can you please tell me if this fix was done under warranty at a Ford dealer and did they state that there is a new TSB for it? I have an appointment to take it back in, but based on the phone conversation it sounded like, it was going to just sit at the dealer as they did not have any other options than what they already did. The revised exhaust tips turning down, makes sense to me as I feel it is the exhaust getting pulled back into the vehicle as it keeps accelerating.

Please let me know if the dealer provided any additional information. It would be great to have some backup before I make the trek back in. Thank you much.

Hello Everyone. I have a new 2015 Explorer LTD. It has the exhaust fume problem under hard acceleration. The entire cabin fills with fumes and is unbearable to drive. Purchased this vehicle brand new with 200 miles, now has 2500. I have had the TSB done 14-0130, where they change out the left side air extractor and use sealant for the back bumper etc., This has not helped the problem.
I saw this post on the new exhaust.

Can you please tell me if this fix was done under warranty at a Ford dealer and did they state that there is a new TSB for it? I have an appointment to take it back in, but based on the phone conversation it sounded like, it was going to just sit at the dealer as they did not have any other options than what they already did. The revised exhaust tips turning down, makes sense to me as I feel it is the exhaust getting pulled back into the vehicle as it keeps accelerating.

Please let me know if the dealer provided any additional information. It would be great to have some backup before I make the trek back in. Thank you much.

This work was all performed at my local Ford dealer under warranty by the field service engineer. My dealer has been helpful during this whole process partly because I went in armed with information like you are trying to do, including CO readings from my vehicle. The vehicle went in for the TSB with 1500 miles on it for the first repair and sat at the dealer for 40 days on the 2nd attempt with the work not being completed. I filed a notice of Motor Vehicle Defect near the tale end of the 40 days and promptly received a call from Ford stating I had to pick up the Explorer and return the loaner. A rep from Ford legal called to schedule the exhaust work performed on this final repair attempt. Check the lemon laws for your state and be prepared to use them!

The work order does not state a new TSB was performed. It states the previous TSB work was confirmed, installed exhaust down turn pipe, update PCM to latest software EB5A-12A650-PD. This is Ford's last attempt to repair the issue before the lemon law kicks in.

During the 40 day stint my dealer did say that Ford has been working on these exhaust tips with a test mule in Detroit. He also said that he had to get my parts ordered quickly before they went on back order. I can't say for certain this is the new "fix" but it seems that way.

Thank you for the quick information. I really appreciate it. I will not settle for anything less than a complete resolution to this matter - no matter what the method. I am willing to give them multiple chances to fix the problem, but short of that -- I am preparing the lemon law route. It is a shame because I really like the car - but, I cannot have my wife, one year old and baby drive around in a car that sucks up and blows exhaust fumes into the cabin everytime you have to pass a car or accelerate on an interstate. I am based in south florida and see that there are many that have this issue, so I am hoping the dealer is up to date. I will of course report back once I go back in. Thanks again.

Thank you for the quick information. I really appreciate it. I will not settle for anything less than a complete resolution to this matter - no matter what the method. I am willing to give them multiple chances to fix the problem, but short of that -- I am preparing the lemon law route. It is a shame because I really like the car - but, I cannot have my wife, one year old and baby drive around in a car that sucks up and blows exhaust fumes into the cabin everytime you have to pass a car or accelerate on an interstate. I am based in south florida and see that there are many that have this issue, so I am hoping the dealer is up to date. I will of course report back once I go back in. Thanks again.

There is no hope for my Explorer...The exhaust problem is just as bad, most likely worse than before.

There is no hope for my Explorer...The exhaust problem is just as bad, most likely worse than before.

So what now? Are you going to turn it in as a Lemon?

This sure doesn't make me feel good about dropping 50k for our Sport that is supposed to come in in 2 weeks. I wonder if they are doing anything differently at the factory or just waiting for people to complain. I guess I better beat the hell out of it on the test drive. Damn it, I wanted to break it in gently.

What RPM do you need to reach to get the smell? Does the rear AC need to be on or any other conditions met to get the problem to occur? I want to test it in the right conditions on the test drive.

Thanks

This sure doesn't make me feel good about dropping 50k for our Sport that is supposed to come in in 2 weeks. I wonder if they are doing anything differently at the factory or just waiting for people to complain. I guess I better beat the hell out of it on the test drive. Damn it, I wanted to break it in gently.

What RPM do you need to reach to get the smell? Does the rear AC need to be on or any other conditions met to get the problem to occur? I want to test it in the right conditions on the test drive.

Thanks
Lemon Law paperwork already filed with an attorney. Mine will choke me out at 3000-4000rpm accelerating from 35-70+ every single time. I would test drive a similar model before you try it on yours. Good luck!

So I took my 2011 in about 3 weeks ago now for the first tsb where they plugged the rear vents and silicone the space between the bumper and body of the vehicle.

Well guess what the smell is back not as strong but is back and smells like it's coming thru the vents. So I got a hold of a rep through this forum and they got the regional customer service manager involved, who is already in contact with my dealership to have this taken care of.

So I have my appointment tomorrow and I am a little skeptical if they can fix this issue. I hope they get it fixed since I haven't even made the first payment on the vehicle and my wife is pregnant with our first child and as we all know carbon monoxide poisoning is not something that should be taken lately.

I shall see what happens or how long it takes for them to fix it.

Thanks

Doesn't appear to be a systematic problem with the 2016s...yet!
I've had mine for almost a month now, albeit only driven about 1100k km and have done more than my fair share of WOT.

3000rpm shift points is a daily occurrence, in which only the present of the common sulphur smell that dissipates quickly was ever noticed.

Thanks

I have over 10k miles on my '16 and noticed the sulphur smell for a short span, but it always quickly dissipated. Now I do not even have a hint of smell in the cabin, no matter what driving conditions. I think it was just the CC burning off when I was breaking her in. Everything is great so far. I would not worry unless I had to. Break it in like normal and without worry.

I didn't smell anything in the first two 16 Sports we drove. I didn't beat om them too much, but definitely hit 4500 at 3/4 throttle a few times. Just got word from the dealer that ours is passing through Indiana and should be here the 10th-16th. I can't wait. Our 2002 is on its last legs. I sure hope Ford gets this taken care of for everyone!

I have over 10k miles on my '16 and noticed the sulphur smell for a short span, but it always quickly dissipated. Now I do not even have a hint of smell in the cabin, no matter what driving conditions. I think it was just the CC burning off when I was breaking her in. Everything is great so far. I would not worry unless I had to. Break it in like normal and without worry.

Like you I noticed it on our 16. Now we have about 2,000 miles on it and nothing now. The weather is much cooler here now, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Like you said I hope it was just the CC burning the new off. I am paying attention too it and we will see this spring if it is related to outside temps or just the CC burning the new off.

For what it's worth, my 15 Sport smelled bad enough to have the wife and daughter strongly complain. But now at 20 thousand kilometers, I get just a hint when thrashing it. Seems it has all but faded away.

For what it's worth, my 15 Sport smelled bad enough to have the wife and daughter strongly complain. But now at 20 thousand kilometers, I get just a hint when thrashing it. Seems it has all but faded away.
A few others have reported the same thing.

Peter

I've got 1500 on my 2016 Sport now and I haven't yet smelled anything like what others are complaining about and I've been a little hard on it a few times checking out the twin turbo's. The only time I smell exhaust is when a old piece of junk clunker with muffler issues gets in front of me and I then turn on the interior air circulation and it goes away fast. I usually keep my climate control set to Auto and the rear climate control fan set on low. I also wonder with the new exhaust tip design that they put on the Sport and Platinum models makes a difference?

I've got 1500 on my 2016 Sport now and I haven't yet smelled anything like what others are complaining about and I've been a little hard on it a few times checking out the twin turbo's. The only time I smell exhaust is when a old piece of junk clunker with muffler issues gets in front of me and I then turn on the interior air circulation and it goes away fast. I usually keep my climate control set to Auto and the rear climate control fan set on low. I also wonder with the new exhaust tip design that they put on the Sport and Platinum models makes a difference?

If you look inside the angled chrome tips, you will see that the muffler pipe (for a lack of better words), is just sitting short behind the angled chrome tips.
By design, it is susceptible to filling the back cabin with exhaust fumes, as it does not sit at the edge of the rear bumper as most traditional exhaust setups.

As far as having turndowns installed into the tips. For goodness sakes take the factory tips off and just go with the turndowns as is. They would look fine in black or SS out the back. I do get the theory about exhaust not being swept out and being too recessed but c'mon.

It would be so cheesy to see steam coming out of the bottoms of those tips, ridiculous actually. I'd be friggin laughing my ass off if I saw it!

FL Lemon Law Update

Just a quick update on my FL Lemon Law case with the BBB. Without a lawyer, I went in front of the arbitrator and both Ford and myself stated our cases... Long story short, the arbitrator SIDED WITH ME!! Our new 2016 Explorer Sport will be here within 45 days! Granted, we have to pay around $3.2k for the mileage charge (around 8000 miles on it already), but we're very happy to get rid of the potentially deadly vehicle we had!!
Good luck to you all and the best advice I can give is to keep your head down and keep doing everything by the book. That's what I did and I'm getting a brand new car that doesn't have the defect because of it!
:)

Just a quick update on my FL Lemon Law case with the BBB. Without a lawyer, I went in front of the arbitrator and both Ford and myself stated our cases... Long story short, the arbitrator SIDED WITH ME!! Our new 2016 Explorer Sport will be here within 45 days! Granted, we have to pay around $3.2k for the mileage charge (around 8000 miles on it already), but we're very happy to get rid of the potentially deadly vehicle we had!!
Good luck to you all and the best advice I can give is to keep your head down and keep doing everything by the book. That's what I did and I'm getting a brand new car that doesn't have the defect because of it!
:)

Congrats.. I am curious on what was Ford's side on this? Also, did they fly a rep in or did they do it over the phone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as having turndowns installed into the tips. For goodness sakes take the factory tips off and just go with the turndowns as is. They would look fine in black or SS out the back. I do get the theory about exhaust not being swept out and being too recessed but c'mon.

It would be so cheesy to see steam coming out of the bottoms of those tips, ridiculous actually. I'd be friggin laughing my ass off if I saw it!

The redesign of the tips didn't work as promised which makes some of my points I am going to make here moot. However, those of us with the affected vehicles would have been overjoyed if a simple exhaust tip solved the problem. I couldn't disagree with you more that some 1989 Crown Vic black or Auto Zone special fake me out SS tips would look better in the rear valance cut outs. Really?

The greatest part would be when I look in the rear view and see you laughing your ass off knowing at that point you are the one choking from this death machine.:) I can't wait for the day when this is resolved.

Back