Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
The redesign of the tips didn't work as promised which makes some of my points I am going to make here moot. However, those of us with the affected vehicles would have been overjoyed if a simple exhaust tip solved the problem. I couldn't disagree with you more that some 1989 Crown Vic black or Auto Zone special fake me out SS tips would look better in the rear valance cut outs. Really?

The greatest part would be when I look in the rear view and see you laughing your ass off knowing at that point you are the one choking from this death machine.:) I can't wait for the day when this is resolved.

But it's getting sucked back into your cabin, versus expelling out to the atmosphere...who's laughing at who? Lol
On a serious note, it may be time for you to cut your loss and get rid of the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thinking out loud here, I am wondering if this is more of a rear hatch seal problem, then it is the turn down of the exhaust. A simple test of the rear seal to see if there are any gaps, is to use a new dollar bill, and close the hatch in a way that half of the bill is outside of the hatch when closed. If the seal is tight, you will have difficulty pulling the bill out. If it comes out easily, then the rear hatch isn't sealing properly. You will need to try this in more than a few places to verify the seal is sealing properly all around. This used to be a common problem with station wagons in the old days, until the car manufacturers started putting a "wing" at the top of the hatch to direct a flow of fresh air onto the rear of the wagon door. The air moving across the rear area pushed the exhaust downward toward the pavement and away from the car.

..... A simple test of the rear seal to see if there are any gaps, is to use a new dollar bill, and close the hatch in a way that half of the bill is outside of the hatch when closed........
But we don't have any dollar bills here. Would a fifty do?;)

Peter

Congrats.. I am curious on what was Ford's side on this? Also, did they fly a rep in or did they do it over the phone?

I can't say much until I get into my new truck, but there statement was that they performed all the fixes and I never brought it back in after 4 repair attempts so they didn't know the problem was still occurring (even though I was fully going through the lemon law program :mad: )
And rep conferenced in over the phone.

My '14 with the 3.5L NA engine never had the smell, but my '16 with the 2.3L Ecoboost has it under hard acceleration. I only have 600 miles on the vehicle, so it may still be burning off the cats. Time will tell.

My '14 with the 3.5L NA engine never had the smell, but my '16 with the 2.3L Ecoboost has it under hard acceleration. I only have 600 miles on the vehicle, so it may still be burning off the cats. Time will tell.

Interesting... this thread has really died down and don't really see any 16 owners complaining about it. Curious if it is indeed burning off. You will generally get a burning smell as well on a turbo motor as it breaks in being it is brand new and the temps of a turbo get very high.

Interesting... this thread has really died down and don't really see any 16 owners complaining about it. Curious if it is indeed burning off. You will generally get a burning smell as well on a turbo motor as it breaks in being it is brand new and the temps of a turbo get very high.

My 2016 does have smell with the V6, 6500 miles. Very disappointed as my 2013 did the same.

My 14 Limited 3.5L N/A has it under hard acceleration with the AC on. It doesn't do it with the heat on......

I thought I smelled it a couple times early on when I was still breaking it in when I stepped on it about half throttle but lifted by 4k. I haven't smelled anything since breaking it in even with many WOT runs. Climate is usually on auto, so I don't know what mode it was in.

I am not reading through all of these posts since so many are repeating the same details over and over and over again. I am curious if anyone else has received that class action suit letter from Ford about this issue? I did and it states to do nothing at this time if I want to be added to the list as plaintiffs. One needs to sign the release in order to be removed from the grumpy list.

After all the smoke clears, (literally and figuratively) I bet I get a $10.59 check.

I have 15K miles on my ride. It still smells the same as mile number uno. My ford focus, fusion and escape, all new models,(less than 3 years old) smell too, but very rarely. The smells are all similar. Poor Ford is getting beat up pretty good by all this.

Not sure why the early posts that I used to follow stated that recirculate has to be on...I have the smell occur in almost any configuration with my environmental system in the explorer sport.

Buzz

Lemon Law Success

This is an update on my previous posts. I successfully arbitrated my case through the right channels and Ford bought back my 2015 Sport. It was replaced with a 2016 Sport WITH adaptive cruise (at no extra cost except for tax!)
Review your applicable states lemon law rules and carefully prepare your case. I started the case in June, with the 4 repair attempts, and didn't get the new car until January, but I got a brand new car.
The 2016s are much better! Also, if the arbitrators say that Ford had to replace your car, but you have to pay a lot in mileage fees, Ford will negotiate with you. Mine went down $2000 after I negotiated!
Again, this is a known issue. The BBB Autoline arbitrator rode in the car with me and advised he could smell the smell and it was a dangerous situation to stay in. Do the research and put forth the effort and hope for the best!

I've had my 2015 Explorer for about a year now. First 9 months would only get a hint of foul odor and then only when pushing it hard. Then for 3 months no odors. Yesterday I drove the Explorer and for the whole 30 mile trip the odor was terrible. My eyes watered and I had to open the windows to get fresh air inside. HVAC set on auto and everything else as usual. Didn't even push on it at all. Now have 6k miles on it. Already scheduled for a service on 3/29, so I will talk to the dealer then, but don't anticipate any fixes yet. I have driven new Ford products exclusively since my first new car in 1970, maybe time to look elsewhere? (hope it doesn't come to that)

Craig

Seems to be fairly quiet on the 2016 front. Looks like a good sign, so far.

Peter

Seems to be fairly quiet on the 2016 front. Looks like a good sign, so far.

Peter

No...it's still there. Just not pushing on the gas hard. Have had it a couple times on my Platinum now. Mostly when I first picked it up to see what she had in normal gear selection and when using the paddles.

The other day as I was coming to an intersection in my Jeep I smelled that familiar smell and laughing thought "there must be an Explorer up there" and there was!

Embarrassed of my Explorer. Last Thursday we used my 2015 Explorer XLT for a relatives funeral procession. Driving from the church to the cemetery it stunk so bad we had to open all the windows. Everyone was coughing and had watering/burning eyes. Weather was low 30's and raining. Powers to be at Ford should be as embarrassed, as I was that day. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't get a 6000 mile new Explorer to stop stinking like a fat old coonhound fart. Going in for routine service 3/29 and I will talk to them again about any fixes. As far as I am concerned they can keep it. Sounds like I have a new nickname for the Explorer "Coonhound fart" .

Craig

I am not reading through all of these posts since so many are repeating the same details over and over and over again. I am curious if anyone else has received that class action suit letter from Ford about this issue? I did and it states to do nothing at this time if I want to be added to the list as plaintiffs. One needs to sign the release in order to be removed from the grumpy list.

After all the smoke clears, (literally and figuratively) I bet I get a $10.59 check.

I have 15K miles on my ride. It still smells the same as mile number uno. My ford focus, fusion and escape, all new models,(less than 3 years old) smell too, but very rarely. The smells are all similar. Poor Ford is getting beat up pretty good by all this.

Not sure why the early posts that I used to follow stated that recirculate has to be on...I have the smell occur in almost any configuration with my environmental system in the explorer sport.

Buzz

I have about 15,000 miles on my 2015 Explorer XLT and for as long as I can remember, I smell exhaust fumes every time I accelerate hard. I keep my rear air turned off and I turn recirculate mode on practically every time I crank the car. (I really hate having to press it two or more times to turn it on. Why couldn't they have made it remember how it was set when you turn the car off?)

I've been searching for info on the exhaust smell and finally found the service bulletin TSB 14-0130 yesterday. I e-mailed the local service manager and today he called to let me know they are ordering the parts to perform TSB 14-0130. Apparently, he didn't know about the service bulletin until he read my e-mail. I also told him about the wind noise and he said they will replace the windshield cowl. He did seem to know about the wind noise.

Will TSB 14-0130 fix it or is the problem somewhere else?

I have about 15,000 miles on my 2015 Explorer XLT and for as long as I can remember, I smell exhaust fumes every time I accelerate hard. I keep my rear air turned off and I turn recirculate mode on practically every time I crank the car. (I really hate having to press it two or more times to turn it on. Why couldn't they have made it remember how it was set when you turn the car off?)

I've been searching for info on the exhaust smell and finally found the service bulletin TSB 14-0130 yesterday. I e-mailed the local service manager and today he called to let me know they are ordering the parts to perform TSB 14-0130. Apparently, he didn't know about the service bulletin until he read my e-mail. I also told him about the wind noise and he said they will replace the windshield cowl. He did seem to know about the wind noise.

Will TSB 14-0130 fix it or is the problem somewhere else?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If I recall correctly, that TSB had various results from no difference, to a little better, to fixed. I wouldn't get my hopes up to much but good luck. I hope it works for you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone explain what is TSB 14-0130 fix ?
Check out posts 1572 and 1308. I found these by going to the start of this thread and using 14-0130 in the "Search this Thread" function.

Peter

Back