1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad Vibration / humming in 2003

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tapoka, December 14, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tapoka

tapoka New Member

City, State:
      Avonmore, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '03 XLT
      Please help!! I have a 2003 Explorer with 20000 miles on it with a very bad rear vibration/humming noise over 60 mph! Dealer has already reaplaced rear end and drive shaft. Anyone else with this annoying problem? Truck will be back in shop next week for same thing!!!
      Many thanks!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Hello!
      I have an '03 sport that has only 9K on it. Had it in the shop for a 'whirring' sound between 1st and second gears only. Turns out there is a TSB on it and they ended up doing 1800 in work on the trans. I also have a vibration/shuddering sort of thing at 45 MPH in O.D. and 1500 RPM....Anything sound familiar? Cant think of a better descriptive other than 'shuddering'...kinda like a resonant frequency thing that stops as soon as I let off the gas or go above 50MPH.
      MCTOY

4. tapoka

tapoka New Member

City, State:
      Avonmore, PA
      '03 XLT
      Thanks for your insights! I'm so disguisted with this vehicle and FORD, thats why I turned to this site to get HONEST advise. Thank you

5. tapoka

tapoka New Member

City, State:
      Avonmore, PA
      '03 XLT
      DEAR MCTOY,
      Once again my Explorer is in the garage...only this time FORD is sending a service engineer to site to look at it. Dealer does NOT know what to do next. I have been a lot of research on this and FORD is getting swamped with LEMON LAW suits for this exact problem and even paying for the customers lawyers!! KEEP YOUR FIGHT ALIVE

6. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Tapoka,
      Thanks for the info....Please keep me posted or PM me when (if) you get any satisfaction or more info.
      Thanks
      MCTOY

7. -=c=-

-=c=- New Member

City, State:
      Tulsa, OK
      '98 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
      tapoka,

I guess everyone has ruled out something as simple as a wheel out of balance?

8. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

No, definitely drive train noise. I think it is differential noise or mis-alignment....After spending 3 hours to clean up the last mess the dealership left me with, I am hesitant to take it in again (But probably will) I am going to try synthetic gear oil in the hopes that it will quiet it down, and if nothing else at least point me in the right direction.

9. tapoka

tapoka New Member

City, State:
      Avonmore, PA
      '03 XLT
      Hello again, My truck is still in the garage and completely taken apart!! They have replaced the rear end (AGAIN) and still have not got rid of the vibration and now are thinking transmission!! UGH!! I have even called FORD CUSTOMER RELATIONS and was told to work directly with the service manager at the dealership!! I have been without my truck for 8 days and still counting!! Anyone know a lawyer?
      Wishing all a great New Year!!

10. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Hang in there man! Sounds like your dealership is working with you at least. Lots of folks have gotten the "It's normal" diagnosis and nothing more. Please keep me informed here or by PM of your outcome. I think that what I am hearing may be a mis alignment issue, or pinion gear problem. Time will tell. Havent gotten around to changing the diff. oil, but will let you know what happens....
      MCTOY

11. mick doyle

mick doyle New Member

City, State:
      brisbane Australia
      2000 xlt
      tyers ive the same problem and am told to replace 4 new tyers dealer is telling me 1 mabee 2 tyres are faulty this is causing all wheel drive to cut in intermittantly causing it to shudder .

12. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Tapoka
      Replaced the gear oil tonight with Mobil1 synth. No joy, altho overall the truck seems quieter. ('Course the wife WASNT in the truck at the time of the test either!!!) Have you had any luck yet?

13. tapoka

tapoka New Member

City, State:
      Avonmore, PA
      '03 XLT
      Hey MCTOY!!
      Sorry for not posting lately...have no news yet. Truck was back in at end of Jan with same complaints and got same results. So I am now calling to make an appointment once a week for this until I get satisfaction. I will let you how this route goes!! Thanks for keeping in mind and I will definitely keep you posted with this trail and error process that I have just started.

14. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

10-4 Bro!
      The noise I have, I am now trying to isolate myself. I really dont want to spend another whole day clay barring and cleaning the truck up again after the dealer 'looks' at it again.... Gonna replace U-joints with greasable ones, and get the tires balanced AGAIN....(at a different shop to see if they find any unbalance) Need to rotate anyways - 10K. I have heard of some folks getting a free 100K mi.-10 yr warranty from Ford.......Thanks for replying. Hope you find out something that both of us can use!

15. c57asey

c57asey New Member

City, State:
      cincinnati ohio
      91 and 94 xlts
      humming

If your lemon law is applicable; USE IT!!!!!! Since I thought of myself as somewhat of a motorhead; with a history of owning several FORD trucks,vans, and mustangs that were very reliable; I worked and worked with the dealer's service dept to get my shimmy problems and a ton of other "bad unit" problems ironed out with my ordered new Explorer. Finally having enough and actually fearing that the cocktail shaker was going to kill me I asked them to exchange the vehicle. whoops! you are past the limits of time by the lemon laws; Their regional butthead backed them up. I had to hire a lawyer to even get them to work out a decent trade. They didn't want it. I will never buy another new Ford again. DO NOT TRUST FORD: they do not care.

16. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

I bought mine from a dealer other than ford with 8k on it. I dont think I could go lemon law if i wanted to because of this. I dont want to get rid of the truck. I love the thing. The only other one I'd be interested in would be a 4 runner or sequoia, both of which are TOO DANG EXPENSIVE!!! Besides that, I returned a Tundra at only 6K because of too many problems with the V-8 and brake issues. So even the 'holy grail' (Toyota) of reliability has its problems too! So far, at least my dealer has been working with me. Although they dont know yet that I still have all the problems I started out with $1800 (warranty) dollars ago.... My vibration isnt teeth rattling, it's just...there, and I know it's not right. Dont want to replace a trans. or rear end on my nickle after warranty runs out!

17. c57asey

c57asey New Member

City, State:
      cincinnati ohio
      91 and 94 xlts
      Ok at least I got the chance to bad mouth FORD; I live for it. A couple off the wall thoughts. 1. It took five radios for ferd to find one that worked for me; how about a problem [that sounds like a drive shaft to me] being two miswelded shafts in a row from the factory or joe mechanic just said he replaced the shaft....I caught up the dealer playing that game with me after they got tired of seeing my face. Another possible; #2 if someone earlier [not a gen-u-ine certified ferd mechanic] blew a u-joint and whipped a new one in but didn't put the shaft in on it's balance mark. You know how it is; decided to hit the boonies; blew the shaft sent Willy back for a u-joint from pepboys while he polished off the cooler and then figured he would get a-round-toit sometime or just didn't care, I see kids do it all the time. Would take a day to rotate it around but it's a low budget check. #3Another something to ask yourself; any chance somebody "lifted" it and didn't get it done right or put it back with the shaft a little long etc. #4 My brother in law had a problem with his link-con; after much hassle it turned out the lug nuts were not tightened equally and were pulling his wheel's mount plates out of true. good luck

18. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Nah,
      I have met the original owner, and he is as **** about his cars as I am! He gets a new one every year, hence the low mileage. I have been thinking driveshaft/u-joint myself. Gonna replace the u-joints w/greasable ones and see what happens. Want them anyways. Also going to have the tires balanced/rotated. (10K) Maybe one or both of these will help. I hear ya tho' about ford (And everybody else these days) 'quality'... No one cares about anything except gettin' your signature on the bottom line. Drove an ol' ugly 69 Dodge p/u trouble free over 300K...94 Chev. p/u 175K no problems. 72 Chry. newport 250K.... Brand new $28K Toyota Tundra ...6500 mi, warped rotors, manifold crack, slipping trans and computer problems.....What are ya gonna do? Thought Id try to fix this one (explorer) myself, and keep it.

19. rd_turbo

rd_turbo Active Member

City, State:
      Mississauga, ON
      '98 B3000 4X4
      vibration

MCTOY "I am not ashamed of HIM in whom I have believed". - I love it

I was reading about your problem and your experience with the dealer is almost identical with mine. Before I bought my Sport Trac I did some research and this vibration issue was talked about quite a bit but mostly on 4WD. I drove some 4WD and there was one in particular which had it something nasty. I opted for a 2WD but can't say it's been a bed of roses. I've had my share of warranty claims and I just love the "it's a normal characteristic of this vehicle". It kills me!!! I've even had Ford Customer Service say "really sir, what would it take for you to take care of it yourself?" This is my first and last Ford. I simply love the truck for its styling but nothing else. My transmission is acting up really bad now....have gotten great advice from the 911 forum but still, I'm at 50k miles.....I've owned mostly Japanese and they're not without problems....but the build consistency and statistical capability seem better and they don't disrespect their customers - the big three need to understand that current market share is one thing....retaining your customer base is another

Last edited: February 24, 2005
    20. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

I hear ya rd!!! Up till the Tundra I wouldnt even look at anything but a Toyota. What's really bad is that the old wonderful service that they were known for is GONE! There were already aftermarket brakes available (Heavier rotors to stop warping) for the Tundra when I brought mine in... Me.." I think I have the dreaded rotor warping that everyone is having" Service Mgr: "Oh really, I havent heard of any troubles like that". When I handed him the TSB from toyota he replied "Ohhh, THAT warping problem...." Guy's on the Tundra site are all experiencing the same thing all over the country. Been goin on for about 5 yrs now.... Oh yeah, the "cure" for it (On a brand new 28K truck) ....Machine the rotors and replace pads with the same thing!!! :thumbdwn:

21. rd_turbo

rd_turbo Active Member

City, State:
      Mississauga, ON
      '98 B3000 4X4
      Agreed 100%. Nowadays we're dealing with a global village mentality so any supplier can bid on components or sub-systems regardless of OEM. Sadly though there's been a decline in overall quality where even the perennial leaders are now faced with unprecedented recalls and poor quality score cards. Some blame it on the North American content, some blame it on a changing culture and others blame it on the rush-to-market mentality which is especially challenging with increasing system complexity. Mercedes is now simplifying and reducing all the electronic wizardry in the hope of reducing complaints and failures. I'm giddy with anticipation when I think about what the next decade could bring....

Brake rotor vibration is often a result of DTV (disc thickness variation) and not so much a warpage issue although warpage seems to plague many OEMs. Pad material is sometimes to blame there, but regardless, when you get that kind of attitude from any dealer, it's frustrating and there really is no call for that....after all, the people who work there are consumers themselves so they should know full well what it's like to be treated disrespectfully.

22. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Latest trial and error....Rotated tires and had balance checked again with no luck! Will try disconnecting the D/S and rotating it 180 deg. and see what happens. Wanna put upgraded u-joints on anyways...Truth be known...I actually believe I have a bad T.C. and or O.D. solenoid...something along that line. It only happens in O.D....1500 rpm, and 45-50 mph.

Last edited: February 27, 2005
    23. c57asey

c57asey New Member

City, State:
      cincinnati ohio
      91 and 94 xlts
      and?

and so? Any luck?

24. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

Nope...back to the dealer today! Tranny tech, rode with me and thinks it may be a combo tranny/driveshaft and or rear end....DUH! Anyways, they are gonna drive it some more, and know all the things they have done in the past along with what all Ive tried, so maybe I'll end up with a whole new driveline! :D