Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bad vibrations?

Discussion in 'Offroad Drivelines' started by fury, May 15, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. fury

fury Active Member

City, State:
    austin,tx
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 ford explorer sport
    Well the problem is I have had a bad vibration/whining noise whenever I get to about 50mph. but as soon as I gun it it goes away but as soon as I let go of the gas pedal it starts to vibrate and whine all over again. It doesn’t seem to vibrate as much when I have it in drive but then my rpms jump up to about 3000. I have been told it is because of the angle that my driveshaft enters the transmission tailshaft. They also told me there is nothing they can really do to make it completely go away. I have looked around the site with little luck since my ex is still 2wd and most of the threads I found spoke about 4wd.
    Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions on who I can get rid this?

I took some pics to help out with my cause
    I hope someone can help me. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jamieh560

Jamieh560 Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    '97 Sport
    I don't know man! I got the same problem... I have 4 inchs of lift... I've rebalanced my tires, rebalance rear drive shaft, and the vibration is still there.... I'm thinking ethier worn hub.... or in your case front bearings.... or defect in tire....

4. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Monroe, GA
    '93 Sport & '96 XLT
    Holy crap, looks like your driveshaft is about to fall out!!! To start, I'd lengthen the driveshaft so there isn't so much pulling out from the trans.

Next, look at this: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html From what some people told me, the axle should look like yours does. But when they described how to set the pinion angle, they basically said to make it the same as the output of the t-case (or in your case transmission) and it ended up looking like it was a bad angle (like in the diagram in the car-craft write-up). Basically, it will look like a terrible angle at the axle, but the 2 angles will cancel each other out and it will turn at the same rate instead of one being fine, and at the trans, the u-joint it going from being close to the yoke and then far from it (because it's angled).

Here is my driveshaft angle: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33166&stc=1 I've been driving it for weeks and there are only vibrations from tires. I was driving down I-85 doing 75 yesterday for 30-45 minutes and had no problems. Hope this helps you out. Good luck

5. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Penobscot, Maine
    '92 XLT
    BMX is right. When I first saw your pick that is the first thing I thought. As the article says, the angles on this type of driveshaft should be equal and opposite. Yours appears to be set up for a CV (or double cardan (sp?)) shaft on the tranny end. You may even need to point in down a degree or two from equal because you'll probably get some upwards rotation with the SOA. The reason for this is because 1 u-joint at an angle doesn't keep the velocity constant on the output side. I saw this on Bill Nye the science guy about 10 years ago. The put a gear on the output side and ran an electric motor (constant velocity) on the input side. The put a playing card on the gear to make noise and the noise pitch changed back and forth because the gear was changing speeds. When you have two u-joints and equal and opposite angles this is offset. Pretty cool stuff.

6. Hotweels

Hotweels Active Member

City, State:
    Calgary,AB
    '92 EB
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

that pic probably exagertaes the angle but from the way the yoke ears clear the flange i know that is way too much angle.... you need to take it to a GOOD shop that does alot of work with 4wd's and see what they can find in the way of a double cardan joint.... that setup is going to cost you a fortune in u-joints and what ever else lets go....

i know in my rig i run my rear u-joints about 4* out of phase and i have yet to have an issue but wow that look's like the pinion is pointing straight at the output of the tranny...