Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Baffled at the power steering

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by dleague, August 30, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dleague

dleague New Member

City, State:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Explorer EB Edition
    Ok Im a little baffled at the power steering issue I have going on. I own a 04 Explorer EB 4.0 V6. About 2 weeks ago I noticed its feels like the power steering is starting to go out. If I turn the wheel slightly to the left or right it almost feels like its starting to whine/squeal but it still keeps the power steering and is easy to maneuver. It doesnt get tight or anything. If it drives right in the middle, aka the sweet spot, it drives fine and there is no resistance or anything. I have checked the belt and it seems fine (no cracks or sheen). I also have been keeping an eye on the reservoir to see if Im leaking any fluid and its not. Spoke with another person and they seem to think it could be the bearings going bad in the pump??? So Im debating if I want to replace the pump. Nervous that may not fix anything. If I do replace the pump, how easy is this? I dont mind doing the work and I replaced one before on a Durango I had but have never done it on my Explorer.

Just baffled and dont want to throw money at something that isnt going to fix the problem. :scratch::feedback:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.