Balance Shaft myth debunked!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Balance Shaft myth debunked!!

balance shaft

The balance shaft is put in these engines for harmonics at idle to make up for a lack of room for larger weights on the crankshaft no difference in any other rpm range than idle u can take the shaft out and this engine will run fine in any rpm range but idle , many 2004 and 2005 models had balance shaft tensioner failures in high mile apps and these things shake like crazy at idle and run perfect at all other rpm ranges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 03 explorer 2wd 4.0 sohc K vin

I put in a 2010 ranger 4x4 4.0 sohc engine e vin

I can't get it to run right do these shafts have anything to do with it?

No. The Ranger engine does not have a balance shaft.

Well, I have put about 4-5k on the engine since I removed the balance shaft and the engine is still running fine. With as many issues as these overcomplicated engines have, I am happy there are a few less parts in there.

I am dealing with a warm start issue but there is no way it is related to the balance shaft. Once the engine is running, there are no issues.

That trail to track them down might take you to Germany! I don't think German engineers like to be questioned....

It's an old thread but I had to comment: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A BMW owner.

This maybe a strange one but will it be ok or can I put a 4wd balance shaft engine in a 2wd non shaft sport trac?

balance shaft engine in 2wd vehicle?

This maybe a strange one but will it be ok or can I put a 4wd balance shaft engine in a 2wd non shaft sport trac?

Yes. Some of the early Mustangs with the SOHC 4.0L V6 had balance shaft engines.

Good cause I bought a 2wd with a bad motor. Then bought a good motor out of a 4wd stick and got worried when I seem bal on the engine tag. I had already called the dealer and they confirmed. Original did not have it and newer one does

My motor is still running great without that shaft in there. I think i made the right choice taking that thing out. I didn't want to risk having a failure of those delicate parts.

I'm responsible for three motors with the balance shaft removed and all three still run great

Well I have some more balance shaft info for you as well. You can take a balance shaft motor and remove it and the chain plug the oiling holes and the motor will run completely normal. The balance shaft is not needed. I have a installed a 2002 SOHC balance shaft motor (with it removed) into a 99 Sport no vibrations. I want to know what is really does. because it sure doesn't cut down on vibrations.
Hey Kris I couldnt figure out how to send you a pm but I have an 01 sport trac that I have a 4wd 4.0 out of a 98 exp to put in. I put new timing chains and guides in the 2wd motor but the block is cracked or something and i plan on reacing it with the 4wd motor. My question is can I use the 2wd timing set w/o the balanced shaft in the 4wd motor?

You sure can use the timing parts from the other sohc motor the components are the same.

Hey Kris I couldnt figure out how to send you a pm but I have an 01 sport trac that I have a 4wd 4.0 out of a 98 exp to put in. I put new timing chains and guides in the 2wd motor but the block is cracked or something and i plan on reacing it with the 4wd motor. My question is can I use the 2wd timing set w/o the balanced shaft in the 4wd motor?

Thats great! I will get things lined up to get it done!

Are you planning to run a balance shaft block without the balance shaft installed?

Yes because its going in a 2wd sport trac its not needed

You need to plug the open oil passages where the balance shaft bearing blocks bolt to the block if you do that. If not, the motor won't last long.

While I sold my 99 XLT last october, it is still running great 8 years later without a balance shaft. My cousin is driving it as his first car.

Kris you mentioned blocking of oiling passages or something in your other post whats that about?
That's why I asked if you were going to remove the balance shaft. The easiest thing to do is leave in the balance shaft and just not connect the chain to it. That way you don't have to block the oil passages.

So it wont hurt to leave it in there disconnected?

Exactly, just leave out the chain and tensioner parts. I bought a kit to rebuild my 99 timing parts again, and I chose the 2WD kit to eliminate the balance shaft issue. When I did mine the first time, the OEM tensioner broke during the work of the other parts. It was already broken and hadn't fallen apart yet, all I did was take the bolts out holding it on, and it fell apart in two pieces. I bought a new Ford part to replace it, but that was 2006 when nobody had discovered we could do without it. Resetting the timing of the balance shaft took some time, I think doing without it is a better plan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal i will just pull the chain and time the motor without the balance shaft but really i wont be timing it hust replacing the chains and cartridges in the motor im putting in as a pm to prevent the inevitable. the one in it now doesnt overheat but it blows air bubbles in the overflow. i replaced the driver side head gasket and its still bubbling in the overflow so im going to get the motor out before something happens.

Back