Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ball Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by hotrod_ron, July 1, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. hotrod_ron

hotrod_ron New Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 Explorer Sport
    Hi All, I have a 96 Explorer Sport...4.0 ltr 2 dr 2 wheel drive....i need to replace the upper and lower balljoints...wanted to know if anyone has had any problems doing so...what tools are needed, are the balljoints pressed in(i didnt see any rivets)...any help would be great....Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    2004 Acura TL
    The lower ball joints are pressed in. The upper ball joints come as a whole control arm. The top aren't bad to do and neither are the lowers. Just be sure to get an alignment afterwards

-Drew

4. Kirby N.

Kirby N. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1991 Ranger
    Borrow a little ball joint press from auto zone. Be sure to get the ball joint attachments too. It is a fairly easy job with the help of those tools.

5. hotrod_ron

hotrod_ron New Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    96 Explorer Sport
    Thanks guys. I have replaced ball joints on older cars...never on anything newer than 1970....thanks again for the help.

Last edited: July 2, 2006
  6. esuvee

esuvee New Member

City, State:
    Albertville, AL
    1997 Ford Explorer 2x4
    I replaced my lowers last week. I used the ball joint press to put the new ones back in. It was kinda a pain in the butt. To get them out i just beat them out with a hammer.

7. drshakenbreak

drshakenbreak New Member

City, State:
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    '92 Sport
    would I have to get the whole control arm on the uppers for my 92 sport 4wd?

8. Runnin'OnEmpty

Runnin'OnEmpty Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Southeast USA
    2000 Sport
    Guys, here's a tip for replacing those lower ball joints:

Put the new ball joint in the freezer for about 2 hours before installing. This will shrink it very slightly, and make installation much easier.

ROE

9. brownbagg

brownbagg Member

City, State:
    grand bay, al
    96 xlt
    another question related to the 2wd upper ball joint. the right side has the two piece bar type ball joint. are they replacing with the oem type two piece or going with a one piece with a caster kit. they as in the public.

10. btickell

btickell New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    2000 Explorer XLT
    Amazing trick, thanks ROE!

Replaced upper and lower ball joints for my neighbors 2000 XLT explorer.
    Fun little story, it failed inspection due to ball joints that were broken.
    I bought all parts ahead of time from Advanced Auto, and borrowed the ball joint removal tool. Went to do the driver side first and found out that they sold me what I thought was two wrong upper ball joints. Long story short is that they sold me two passenger side ball joints. I thought they would have been the same on both sides, I didn't even check the passenger side before I returned the parts. I ended up swapping them with two driver side upper ball joints.
    Then when I went to the passenger side I realized that the part I first bought was correct but only for the passenger side.
    The lower ball joints were much trickier than the upper ball joints. I took a hammer and hit it out of the bottom, and used the tool to press the new ball joints into place. I went ahead and followed advice from ROE previously (but only for the passenger side) in this post about putting the ball joint in the freezer. Without putting the lower ball joint in the freezer for the driver side, I ended up breaking a tool, and felt like a monkey trying to get the ball joint in place. One thing I had to do to get the ball joint to get pushed up was I used the ball joint installation part for the bottom, and I put the floor jack under it to push up on it. I then took the hammer and tapped around the opening, and it slowly came up. But when I went on to do the passenger side lower ball joint which had been frozen, I was able to easily tap the ball joint into place, and then was able to use the tool to push it the rest of the way up(with ease). It was so much easier, I am surprised that there are not instructions in the box saying for better easier results, place ball joint in freezer to shrink the part just enough to make a huge difference.
    Just wanted to say thanks to this forum, and many thanks to Runnin'OnEmpty for the advice!:thumbsup::D

Last edited: July 23, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
    1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
    Outstanding suggestion. I use that method to press transmission gears on mainshafts. It's amazing how well it can work.

12. Robert0518

Robert0518 New Member

City, State:
    Blythe
    03 4.6 Eddie Bauer
    I have an 03 4.6 explorer and I kinda crashed in a ditch and now my driver side tire rubs on my fender really bad (not drive able) took the tire off and notice like a bar bent any ideas what it is

13. intelisevil

intelisevil Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Sandy, OR
    '00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
    There are a few parts that could be bent. Post a picture so we can see what you are talking about.