bamachips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spencer785

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 EB 4x4 V6
hi there im suppose to receive my bamachips tuner in 5 days for my 08 explorer eb v6 just wondering will i notice a really big difference even with the 87 performance. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like what will i notice if you could explain thanks.

Unfortunately they having figured out how to change the transmission tuning on those yet, which is a big benefit of the tuners and one of the things I love most about mine it went from slow sloppy shifts to nice firm ones. So the big changes you will see is a little more power and better throttle response.

okay i received the tuner today and installed the 87 performance and to be honest i really dont notice a difference. is it just me or did the tuner not work or something. also i have 22" wheels on it so i know that slows it down a bit. thanks

Do you have any other mods done to your truck? With just the tune you aren't going to see that much. If the rest of it is stock then its still limited by the intake and exhaust. I would get an intake and a decent exhaust, then get a new program for your tuner to take advantage of that. Still, you aren't going to see a huge jump in performance, but it will be noticeable.

yes i have a kkm intake and magnaflow muffler soon to be full cat back system. and also i have the 93 performance and torque custom tunes. okay another question if you guys know when installing the custom tune with the xcal3 and i pressed select 87 performance it gave me 3 choices keep prev settings,adjust settings and skip i pressed skip because i didnt want to fuel around with the settings. did i install the tune right and since i didnt adjust any settings is my tire size and all the other settings that the custom tune still there. and also my truck has 22" wheels you that would also make a difference right because they weigh more and stuff. sorry for asking some many questions. thanks

You should notice a little difference, but the larger wheels might be negating it. The biggest difference, as mentioned, is the transmission shift points and shift firmness. Even without the tranny being tuned the intake, exhaust, and tuner should give you a little boost in performance, even with the big wheels. If you lived near me I'd give ya a ride in mine so you could see the difference with the transmission.

spencer- i have the v8, but with mine, the 87 tune I noticed the throttle tip in was much improved, but as far as performance not much difference. I attribute this to the fact that most of the gains are by them programming the computer to utilize the higher octane gas (they can advance the timing) with the 87 tune, they can't do a whole lot. so if the tip in on the v6 wasnt bad to begin with, you probably arent going to feel much difference. go on a road trip, empty your tank, fill up with higher octane and enjoy the performance you will notice with an 89, 91, or 93 tune. that is where you will notice the difference.

yes if you skip that step all that does is let you manually adjust settings, the settings you requested from the tuner (bamachips) will be loaded when you select the tune.

when i pressed skip it just went right to programming the truck. so what do you mean by it let me manually adjust settings. also after i pressed the 87 performance and it said keep existing settings,adjust settings and skip what would the keep existing settings be from going stock to 87 performance. because the first time i tuned it i didnt have that keep prev settings there.

when i pressed skip it just went right to programming the truck. so what do you mean by it let me manually adjust settings. also after i pressed the 87 performance and it said keep existing settings,adjust settings and skip what would the keep existing settings be from going stock to 87 performance. because the first time i tuned it i didnt have that keep prev settings there.

When you skip it just uploads the tune just as bamachips sent it. But if you make changes to the tune then it will remember those changes and apply them the next time you upload the tune should you choose to do so.

okay so that keep prev settings was just the settings that the tune used last time and pressing skip didnt use the prev settings and just used the tune just like bamachips sent.

man you guys are so helpful i really appreciate this help if you guys lived near me id take you guys all out to the bar or something man.

so do you guys think i will notice a big difference with the 93 octane programs and whats better to use for a daily driver torque or performance.

you will notice a difference with the 93 tune, I promise you.

Like i mentioned before, I have the v8, so the characteristics are different, but i prefer the perf tune, the v8 has plenty of low end torque on it's own, so the perf really kicks things up in the higher rpm range. the torque tune has monster torque but fizzles as the rpms increase.

try them both, see which you prefer. Depends on your driving style. if you tow, the torque tune will be beneficial. or maybe you have a lot of hilly terrain. if you like to stand on it, the perf tune will prob be beneficial.

don't be discouraged, just empty the tank and get some 93 in there, you will feel it.

Sorry for the confusion on the settings, but the other poster cleared that up.

i scrolled through the options but never changed any, i figure leave it to the pros, they know what they are doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi there okay but since there was 87 octane is my tank before should i add some octane booster to make sure that theres no 87 octane left in the tank.

Back