• Register Today It's free!

yianni

Reaction score
City, State
oceanside
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer sport v6
hey guys so i just picked up a 1998 ford explorer sport (2 door v6) 88k miles
magically the CEL came on after 250 miles of driving (i know i should have checked to see if it was reset)
codes were P0171 and P0174.
-I ran some injector cleaner thru and dry gas as well, reset and light came back on.
-Checked all the hoses and usual problem valves and didn't see any visible holes, i also sprayed carb cleaner all over the place to check but nothing.
-cleaned air filter.

2 things i noticed were that the fuel filter did look old so i might try to replace that, and that my IMRC valve (located ontop of the intake manifold) the rod piece was disconnected from the motor so i just hooked that back on.
could it be that the IMRC valve being disconnected was giving me lean codes since it wasn't getting the extra air at certain rpms?
any other recommendations? My inspection is expired! anyone in NY that can help me?
thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get the same codes. 1996 4.0 OHV motor. Mine only does it when it's cold out.
Runs fine after it warms up a bit.
More than likely it is the upper intake gaskets needing replacement.
You can try cleaning the MAF and check the fuel pressure.

Cleaning the MAF took care of the same problem for me.

SOHC prob needs intake gaskets. But it could be the maf too. If the fuel trims are high at idle and drop as you pick up speed you have a vac leak or dirty maf

SOHC prob needs intake gaskets. But it could be the maf too. If the fuel trims are high at idle and drop as you pick up speed you have a vac leak or dirty maf
so i just cleaned the MAF, one of the pins was pretty caked up the others not so bad but still dirty, now to pass inspection do i need to disconnect my battery and go thru another drive cycle or will it clear on its own. and do you recommend switching my fuel filter or looking for a possible other problem before going thru another cycle or is the maf most likely the culprit? i havent noticed much change except for the cold start getting better, other than that the only other thing that would happen is very slight uneven idle on a very rare occasion almost like its normal..thanks again

so i just cleaned the MAF, one of the pins was pretty caked up the others not so bad but still dirty, now to pass inspection do i need to disconnect my battery and go thru another drive cycle or will it clear on its own. and do you recommend switching my fuel filter or looking for a possible other problem before going thru another cycle or is the maf most likely the culprit? i havent noticed much change except for the cold start getting better, other than that the only other thing that would happen is very slight uneven idle on a very rare occasion almost like its normal..thanks again
I believe on a 98 you can have 2 emission monitors not ready. There are cheap scanners that can tell you when it is done and you can bring it in. With the weather we are having (maybe a bit warmer down there lol) evap will never run anyway.

It is hard to guess without seeing live data. If the pin was caked up that may solve it. You may not notice a real difference in how it runs because of the compensation. When the CEL comes on the compensation starts to exceed emission thresholds.

Fuel filter cant hurt but need to know freeze frame data to see where the problem happens. If it is at high speed, then it is likely the pump or fuel filter.

I believe on a 98 you can have 2 emission monitors not ready. There are cheap scanners that can tell you when it is done and you can bring it in. With the weather we are having (maybe a bit warmer down there lol) evap will never run anyway.

It is hard to guess without seeing live data. If the pin was caked up that may solve it. You may not notice a real difference in how it runs because of the compensation. When the CEL comes on the compensation starts to exceed emission thresholds.

Fuel filter cant hurt but need to know freeze frame data to see where the problem happens. If it is at high speed, then it is likely the pump or fuel filter.

from what i read in ny im allowed to have 1 not ready :banghead:. So what ur saying is because of compensation i wouldnt notice a difference until i reset the computer right? I dont have the tools to get freeze frame data so i guess i might as well replace the fuel filter and pray, if that doesn't work then i might try and go have someone hook up a smoke machine to check for leaks in the gaskets. I do also have a terrible exhaust leak but its at the muffler so that shouldnt effect my 02 sensors right?

Back