1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by bats, November 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 Bronco II
    I really blame myself. Can't leave well enough alone and gotta to tinkering and tempting fates.

Dropped the fluid over the weekend, saved most of it. From what I can figure out, the springs in the locker weren't providing enough tension to keep the teeth locked. The ice in a blender noise was the teeth on one half just grinding, but not locking, on the other. Exact same thing happened a few years ago. Two thumbs down for the Powertrax No-Slip. Summit sells a spring kit for $15 but I'm not about to get let down again in a year or two.

Picked up a Spartan locker for around $200 with Amazon sale and a rebate. Instructions were garbage so I found a video online. Piece of cake. If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll try and get back out there to seal everything up.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    I have the Spartan in the work rig. Be prepared for some super scary, super loud snaps, coming from the rear when you first use it. It's common for them, and won't do it for long. Scares the ever living crap out of you when it happens, and you will feel the need to pull the cover to inspect!

The video's are how we ended up figuring it out too. Instructions are useless. Mine clicks louder on turns, than the others I have, but it definitely works well.

4. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    88 Bronco II
    Weekend update: I need more rum or Advil or some cocktail of both.

Gman, the first five or so miles it sounded like I was about to break something but it quieted down after some 'light' break in with the skinny pedal. Works excellent. Really missed the skrtskrtskrt when turning!

Took it on a quick joy ride. No problems going into any of the gears. Gear ratios definitely different from the A4LD but it still wants to beat up people who wear socks with sandals and shoplift from Tesco. Living proof that putting a manual in a slow sh!tbox makes it infinitely more fun. Handles MUCH better with the stiffer springs even though it has a Jeep JK rake going on.

Rear main seems to be leaky even though I did it when I did the trans. Carry spare oil. Timing still a hair off under load. We're getting there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    88 Bronco II
    Took the Bastard in for its annual state inspection and... seems like I thrashed on it harder than I thought. Balljoints worn out already and the spindle nut worked itself loose and caused some kind of premature bearing wear. Wasn't there for the tear down but I trust my mechanic. But it stops and the turn signals work!

That being said, I think the next phase is going to be swapping D44 knuckles on so I get the benefit of bigger balljoints. This thread popped up recently saying some minor reaming of the lower TTB balljoint is all that's needed to make it work. I'll start gathering parts for that and tackle it later in the summer since I have another project occupying the garage.

I know I'm being stubborn by keeping the TTB and all the annoying quirks that come with it BUT the IFS is so much more controllable and fun when you're hitting whoops at 50 MPH. Or thereabouts. Not sure since the spedo stopped working.

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune Flood season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    7B Panhandle
    B2 Mod
    The road my my house is 2+ miles of rocks, dirt, mud snow, ice, river, whatever Idaho decides to hit us with. The good news? No neighbors for miles.
    The more good news? TTB!!
    Solid axle I would have to be going waaaaay slower I know because we drive the F350 and Excursion in and out weekly. The E350 van (still 2wd beams) the Bronco II and the wifes FJ cruiser all take this road like it was built for it, why? IFS!! Long travel IFS to boot...
    I will never give up my TTB now! In fact I am considering the whole d44 ttb conversion for more width (cheater travel) so I can really use the BII on my "driveway"

Glad you are getting this sorted out, you keep saying the timing is off, is this a cam position sensor issue? Any codes?
    Are you still using the A4LD computer?

Keep up the good work! BII with a 4.0 and 5 speed = fun fun fun fun

7. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    88 Bronco II
    TTB crew represent!

I thought about the D44 TTB conversion but aren't those brackets rarer than hen's teeth? Cut n turn D44.... I can dream...

Was able to find a manual computer from the same year Explorer so that's what it's been running on since the new trans went in. KOEO codes give me EGR errors since it no longer exists. Tried doing the KOER codes but the CEL never flashed. Gave up for the night since the skeeters started coming out.

8. 410Fortune

410Fortune Flood season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    7B Panhandle
    B2 Mod
    ah ha! With no egr present it can buck and miss that is for sure
    We need to get rid of all codes before we can expect a super smooth pushrod