1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up

Discussion in 'Bronco II Registry' started by bats, November 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 Bronco II
    Mmm supercharger. Brett's thread was where I started my reading and found another guy on here who laid out all the little details.

Trans will be fine. The rebuilt 5spd I got came from behind a SOHC according to the ebay seller and extra bolt hole.

The whole running off the OHV computer really tickles me and I think it fits nicely with the theme of this build. I took a read through Sticos thread and he went fancy and swapped the newer wiring harness. Nah, that's not my style.

I've had a few second gens and I think it motivated them pretty good. Now in a vehicle a few hundred lbs lighter... hoowee!

So we can't talk about the SOHC without talking timing chains...I guess if I luck out and can hear the donor engine run I'll chance it? It doesn't look like a difficult job, just a bunch of tedious little steps. One day at a time.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    A couple other things to consider...

M5OD-R1 might not handle the higher HP too well. I would want a fresh rebuilt unit with a racing clutch setup. Or, get the manual made for the SOHC? No idea if you can convert the R1 or not.

SOHC chains take special expensive tools, to install them ( so I heard).

Could buy a 5.0L donor for the price of the SOHC rebuild?

4. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    88 Bronco II
    gman, the manual in there did come from behind a SOHC. It has the extra hole (giggity) for SOHC mounting purposes. I bought it rebuilt and I'd really like to keep it if I can.

It's tough finding donor vehicles around here. Anything wrecked gets snatched up by the scrappers within hours of posting and anything that sort of drive goes for close to $2K. Going to have to expand my search radius.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I understand wanting to keep the manual. They make the experience of operating it, feel like your part of the machine. Plus it's safe from thieving youngsters that can't drive a manual. Lol

Have you tried search tempest? You can set the search radius on it, and it finds your keywords in a variety of sale sites.

6. bats

bats Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    NY
    88 Bronco II
    After many failed attempts at dealing with Craigslist and FB marketplace I finally have a solid lead on a motor. People, man. What a bunch of dumba$$es. We'll get to that later this month.

Removed everything I could off the firewall to assess the damage:
    [​IMG]

Not pretty. The rain channel in the cowl was clogged with dirt which led to it rusting right at the seam. If not for the steering column/brake booster bracket I peal back that part of the firewall. Also, it looks like some dumb kid butchered part of the firewall trying to make the Explorer steering column fit...what a dummy. Plan plan is to make one or two panels and pop rivet em in place. Rustoleum everything back up and call it a day.

The big white white plug (BWP) was flopping around and was starting to wear through some wires. I removed the entire harness but had to dremel off the retaining bolt on the BWP. Slimmed down the harness a bit. The ABS stuff takes up a lot of wires. Started at the BWP and pulled the unneeded wires back as I identified them. Left the power leads. I'll tidy them up and dead head them until I have a use.

That bundle of red wires is for the wiper motor. They're hard wired to a switch that gives me simple fast-off-slow. Through dumb luck I made this all work and the ONLY thing that I couldn't get going with factory wiring was the wipers. Not too shabby.