Battery / charging light still on.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery / charging light still on....

JusWannaMudd

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS 4x4 4.0L
There is a couple of semi-related posts, but no solid answer.

Here's the deal - a couple of days ago I was driving and the lights dimmed, several warning lights came on, sputtered and bucked a little, hit the brakes and the radio went off. Parked it.

Suspected alternator. Towed to house, pulled alternator and battery, had tested at local auto parts store. Battery fine, alt. bad.

Replaced with Palladium (re-manned), same 130 amp.

Now battery / charging light won't go off. Never was on before alt crapped out. Runs/starts fine, system tested at store, everything ok. Battery, volts, amps, load and no load.

Ford even has a TSB, with no fix of course.

2003 Ford Explorer
Bulletin #: 16703
Sequence #: 10001946
Date: 03/01/2003
Component Name: 110000 electrical system
Make: Ford
Model: Explorer
Year: 2003
Summary: Battery light on or an alternator that is not charging. *tt *jb

Can anybody help??? Thanks in advance.

If I remember right that light is connected right to the alternator. Its the single slip on connection in the back. Either there is an issue with that wire or you got a bad alternator. If you have a volt meter just start the engine and check the battery voltage. It should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts or just go to autozone and have them check the whole system.

Thanks for the response. I've had it tested at Advanced Auto twice now, both times they said the readings were great. Battery was putting out 653/650 cold crank amps, voltage read fine both under load (brights and blower) and not under load. :dunno: After some attitude from the local Ford dealer, I got some info about the TSB. Says it's related to the connections, either the plug or screw. Tried messing with plug, no luck though.

Back