Battery issue? Dim Readout and Radio goes out when key-on acc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery issue? Dim Readout and Radio goes out when key-on acc.

sync58

Reaction score
City, State
Monterrey, Nuevo León
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2010 Limited
Hello, I find this odd issue super odd and wanted if you guys could provide some insight. So here's the deal.

My truck is having this weird issue that just started coming up a couple of days before. Now, after a very light rain I try to start my truck and the starting motor feels very labored. Took 3 tries to start and fired up but my dashboard lit up with errors and an SRS light too. Restarting the engine cleared them up though. Now here's where things get weird, I went to Autozone and asked them to perform a battery test and the battery had from the 850 Amps just 459 Amps. The test deemed the battery in need of a replacement, so I had to get some money. In the meantime I still drove the truck but I find weird that the engine cranks OK even when cold. Other odd thing I found is that when I put the key in accessories the dashboard readout looks very dim and shortly after the GPS screen turns off. I find this weird because although it looks like the battery isn't gonna have enough juice to crank the engine it STILL DOES!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any aftermarket equipment installed? Remote start, upgraded stereo, etc?

Nope, everything is completely stock.

Well if you have a voltage meter check the battery voltage after its been sitting over night if it's under 12.4v the battery is draining (I would say in your case bad battery do to the 459 CCA on the test). The car may still crank and start all the way down to around 10v also batteries tend to only have a life span of around 5 years so if it is older than that it's probably time to replace it anyway.

I'm gonna perform your test tomorrow Rcflyer, see if the battery voltage drops. Battery was purchased and installed at a battery center, it's 2 years and 10 months old. I noted a puff of corrosion but it's at the base and not affecting any contacts, could it be an acid leak at the posts? It was at the positive post.

Results are in, truck would not start. Battery gave away, fixing it up tomorrow! We'll update if issues get resolved.

Back