Battery Issues | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Issues

Hi,

I new to the board. I have a 2013 Limited. I also had a 1996 XLT that I loved and put close to 200k on.

Just the last couple of days when I start my Explorer after about 20-25 seconds I get a "Check Charging System" warning and then the "Battery" light comes on and stays on...

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your loyalty to Ford! Like Peter suggested, it sounds like a trip to the dealership is in your future. Come back and tell us how your visit went; I'll be here if you need my assistance.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery started dying in my 2011 Explorer in January.
Had the alternator checked, and a new battery installed by the Ford Dealer.
3 Weeks later, new battery is dead too. Dealer has no idea why...

Welcome to the Forum snokite.:wavey:
Perhaps something isn't turning off when it should. It could also be a bad replacement battery. There are posts where members have had to replace their battery a few weeks after getting the vehicle. Some of the models probably have a higher drain on the battery due to all the electronics on board, some of which require a small but steady current even when the vehicle is shut off.
It would also help if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in the margin.

Peter

...Had the alternator checked, and a new battery installed by the Ford Dealer. 3 Weeks later, new battery is dead too. Dealer has no idea why...

Welcome to the forum, Snokite. What’s the current odometer reading? Please send it over; I’ll check the available resources.

Kwasi

Took my Ex into the dealership about a month ago. Vehicle goes into power save mode very quickly... sometimes after only 5 minutes (and has never lasted more than 45 minutes). I even have the upgraded battery / alternator (comes w/ the tow package). Tech checked the battery, alternator, and did some spot checking. Everything checked out fine. However, he acknowledged that the radio should not be draining the battery that quickly. All previous cars I've owned could go hours with the radio on, all with *much* bigger sound systems.

The dealership finally called me to further investigate the issue. Ford instructed them to reset the BSM and do some more spot checking. Fingers crossed, but not expecting results.

As with the Explorer I had, I'm charging the battery in the MKT about twice a month. I firmly believe it is because it isn't driven enough or for a long enough time.

Peter

Nothing to do with my issue, Peter. This is my daily driver.

Battery drain this past weekend

I purchased my Ford Explorer about 16 months ago brand new. I've never had an issue with it and absolutely love my car. However, this past weekend, we drove out to a festival and parked. After a couple of hours, we went back out to have a picnic in the vehicle with our kids. We put the car in accessory mode to keep some moving air in the car and the radio on. Within 20 minutes, the car was clicking and many of the accessories were turning on and off randomly. The speakers were just going crazy and the radio was completely off. Sync keep saying it was performing a systems maintenance update but when it was finish, the car would not turn over. We ended up having to have the vehicle jumped by a passerby. I should mention, we just had the vehicle in for service on 02/13 and the battery tested great. After the jump, we allowed the vehicle to run for a while and then went back into the festival. When we came back out, 4 hours later, it started up just fine. Should I be contacting the dealer and trying to figure out why it did this?

Welcome to the Forum Amber7669.:wavey:
If I remember correctly from an other post, those seem to be the symptoms of a dying battery, or better put, a draining battery. It would help somewhat if you would add the 'trim' level' (Base, XLT, etc) of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin. The newer models have many more electronic circuits that are always on and drawing a very small amount of current, even with the ignition off. I would think that the higher trim levels in particular are guilty of that. It wouldn't hurt to have the battery tested the next time you are at your dealer if it continues to work fine in the meantime.

EDIT: By the way, you don't need to put the ignition into accessory to turn the radio on. You can turn it on at any time with the ignition OFF.

Peter

We put the car in accessory mode to keep some moving air in the car and the radio on.

Are you sure you were in accessories mode? In that mode, you can't turn on the fans/ A/C at all because it would drain the battery in no time. If you had any sort of car fan on, it would drain the battery no matter what car you're in.

As with the Explorer I had, I'm charging the battery in the MKT about twice a month. I firmly believe it is because it isn't driven enough or for a long enough time.

Peter

If you are charging your battery consider a charger with a desulfator. I have a bunch of equipment that I only use occasionally and was going through batteries way to fast. Picked up a batteryminder with desulfator from amazon for $40 and it is amazing how it brings the battery back. I have already saved two tractor and one jeep battery since I got it.

If you are charging your battery consider a charger with a desulfator. I have a bunch of equipment that I only use occasionally and was going through batteries way to fast. Picked up a batteryminder with desulfator from amazon for $40 and it is amazing how it brings the battery back. I have already saved two tractor and one jeep battery since I got it.
Right now I'm using a Shumacher charger but am looking to upgrade to one of the CTEK line chargers.
http://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

Peter

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport and put in the 3Rd battery today. I only have 35000 miles . The mechanic put on a tester said everything was reading fine. He also told me about a battery management system that tells the system when the battery is older to charge more to keep it in spec. Could it be over charging the battery that is new ? I had the first battery change by the dealer and they never did anything to the computer. It shows the battery is like 1500 days old.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport and put in the 3Rd battery today. I only have 35000 miles . The mechanic put on a tester said everything was reading fine. He also told me about a battery management system that tells the system when the battery is older to charge more to keep it in spec. Could it be over charging the battery that is new ? I had the first battery change by the dealer and they never did anything to the computer. It shows the battery is like 1500 days old.
I believe the Battery Management System has to be reset when a new battery is installed. It was posted on the Forum somewhere but I don't recall exactly where it was.
If the system wasn't reset then it sounds like it figures the battery is just over 4 years old.

Peter

I believe the Battery Management System has to be reset when a new battery is installed. It was posted on the Forum somewhere but I don't recall exactly where it was.
If the system wasn't reset then it sounds like it figures the battery is just over 4 years old.

Peter
Thank you . That is what I thought . You think if you had changed at the dealer they would know this

Too many dealers are clueless about the BMS, frustrates me. You can also reset it DIY with FORScan. It's an incredibly quick procedure.

Although the "age" parameters will not change, the hall effect sensor that tracks current drain/charge recalibrates itself after 8 hours of the vehicle sitting undisturbed. Ford definitely envisioned that people would forget the BMS reset... so while you might be losing a slight bit of benefit, it shouldn't be fatal for the battery.

I run a Red Top 34 in my Vette.
Had the issues with the door not unlocking in the truck, dealer said they tested my battery, and said it was weak...never had any issues with it, no slow starts etc.

So I ordered a Red Top through my buddies body shop. As they are installing it he comes over to me and says its smaller than the Ford. Oh well, I can live with that. Minute later he comes back to me and says the Ford cables won't work with that battery. We sent the Optima back for a refund.

Looks like I didn't do my homework, and go to Optima WS to see what fits what (I did after the fact with egg on my face) :snicker:.They have nothing for Fords. Mine is a 12 Limited.

So my question to you is how did you hook it up? Post up some pics.

Still have my 'weak ' battery that I have no trouble with...

frank

Sorta off topic (sorry to hear your situation). One of the first upgrades I always do is a battery. Yellow Top Optima. I leave a Kenwood UHF radio on constantly and have never had a YT die, only factory batteries. Expensive (about $150+) but worth it if you are solo and/or with nobody to jump your battery. Buys peace of mind, too.

Back