1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

battery light - what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by savant, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. savant

savant Member

City, State:
      Northwest Indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
      This may seem like a silly question, but seriously, what does the battery light mean?

I had my battery out for the last week to do a top-end rebuild (went wonderfully, I'll post on that later). Now though, my battery light is on constantly. The battery is brand new though, and the alternator is maybe 9 months old. When the vehicle is running, the voltage gauge reads around the 'A' in normal.

To top it all off, I drove it a little over 300 miles yesterday, with headlights, stereo and full heater blowers the whole time. The *only* issue I know of at this point is a little belt slippage, but that's clearing up (greasy hands + serpentine don't mix, apaprently :) .

Does the battery light just mean that the battery was removed? If so, how do I clear it? Is there something I'm overlooking?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TheJMan

TheJMan Active Member

City, State:
      Scottsdale, AZ
      2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
      I had a similar problem with my old 1993 when I replaced the alternator. I did everything right, started it up, ran fine, gauge read right at the "R" in normal, but the battery light was on. I drove up to Checker, they hooked up their alternator tester, was charging perfectly. I went back to check the battery light and it was out. That was over a year ago, never has been on again.

4. savant

savant Member

City, State:
      Northwest Indiana
      1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
      Heh, I figured out what my problem was. One of the connectors on my alternator was loose. The little plastic tab that holds it on is a goner since the rebuild.

Anyway, the battery light wasn't lying, I did have a problem. Plugged that connector back in, and the light went out.