battery problems?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery problems??

juanj1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
i have a 2006 ford explorer eddie bauer edition i bought it 2 months ago and until last night i have had no problems. the battery light started to flash yesterday as i was driving home i thought nothing of it so i kept driving i got home let it rest for a while then took the car back out, as i was driving everything in the car turned off but it kept driving for a bit it wasnt till 2 minutes after everything turned off that the engine stopped and i was stuck. i called a buddy of mine and jump started the car. at first when we tried to jump start the car it didnt work but after a few minutes if patientce it worked. i drove back home and the battery light was off and no longer making noise. i turned off my car waited a few minutes then turned it back on and no problems. but this morning i turned on my car and the light kep flashing like yesterday the battery indicator is no longer on low but the light keeps flashing i bought a new battery but the problem still presists. any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be a bad alternator.

I agree with TourGuide, have the charging system checked. I believe that Autozone still does it for free and while you are at it have the DTC's pulled to make sure that there is nothing else.

Last Friday, right after that blizzard here in NY, my wife's Tribeca would start but die after few minutes. Battery light on, but I installed new batter about 1-2 years ago and it was fine.
What I did was, I hooked up a voltage meter to the battery, once I was able to start it again after about 1/2 hour. I watched the volts go from around 12V to about 9-10V, and the car died.
I replaced the alternator and all the problems are gone.

PS: The day before it went completely dead, my wife got some weird lights: "Rear Diff Temp", "Brake", and so on. On today's cars, once the voltage drops, bunch of sensors go crazy.

took it in to a shop today they said it was a bad alternator. thanks for the help!

Yes, the bad battery symptom is usually when the "airbag" icon stays on after starting and will stay on until you turn the engine off and restart.

Thanks for the info Old As Dirt.

Just had same problem today, diagnosed as bad alternator. had to replace the battery with it

Two years ago, when I bought my 2007 4.0, it had a bad battery which showed up with the airbag icon after about 2 weeks. The Ford dealership replaced the battery and everything seemed fine. Last week the temperature dropped to about +4 degrees Fahrenheit and I started getting the symptom again. When it warmed up - no more problem. This week, the temperature dropped again and the light came back on (only at the first start when it was really cold and the vehicle had been sitting all night - otherwise ok). I checked the dealers Motorcraft battery and it was only 650 cca. I went to Sams Club and bought a new one for $91 and change. It is 875 cca and spins the engine like none I have seen since buying the vehicle. Look out for that cca.

Back