Bay Area - Hollister Hills ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bay Area - Hollister Hills ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been to Hollister Hills, CA? It's a state-run park for motorcycles and 4wheelers, about 40 minutes from San Jose, CA.

Kvo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kristi and I, and the truck, are ready for action! We'll see you guys at the ranger station at 10am. We'll be listening to channel 17 on the way down there from SF. Until Sunday!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just wanted to tell everyone that I had a real good time Sunday at Hollister Hills. Met some real nice people (Garrett,Kristi, and Khoa). Guess who forgets their camera Dead Link Removed Not to worry Rick, Khoa and Garrett brought theirs, so you should be getting some pictures soon. We ran all over Hollister Hills SVRA. This was the first chance to try out my 97XLT. It performed quite well. My 31X10.5 R15 BFG A/T's didn't rub once, and Khoa and Garrett can testify to that. I'll tell you I sure wish I had some lockers. There were a couple of hills I just couldn't get up, but I tried, and that was half the fun. Sure hope we can do this again. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 05-24-99).]

It was great running around Hollister Hills with the others (Ray's Explorer and Garrett&Kristi's Navajo). Extremely nice people, we had a great time. I should be getting the pictures back today and can e-mail them to you guys or ask Rick to post them here.

The 31's on Ray's '97 performed very well and did not rub at all, even under full turn and full compression.

Garrett - Did the video come out ok? I'd like to see how I looked on the steps? Garrett has a pretty cool license plate on his vehicle "2TH SVR". Both Garrett and Kristi are in dental school in SF so he told me his license plate stands for "Tooth Saver". I asked what about a plate that says "Tooth Fairy", Garrett said NOT IN SAN FRANCISCO!!!

May be we can together again towards the end of this summer???

Ray - Did Jordan enjoy it also? Have you buffed out the scratches yet? I still have not wash my truck yet, kind of keeping it dirty as a memento.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 05-25-99).]

Khoa,
My son had a very good time. He said the best part was lunch and the jelly beans, but the ride was good too. As far as the pictures, can you do both? Dead Link Removed
she got cleaned as soon as I got home.
I'll tell you, a good coat of wax will sure help keep the scratches away. I didn't get one scratch on my baby! Dead Link Removed
I just got my rear tow hook today and the part number for the bigger GM front tow hooks. I won't have to worry so much about getting stuck and not being able to be pulled out, because I have no place to hook up to. I would have tried a few more places Sunday if I had tow hooks, like that short cut.
I got email from Ji and Tami, they live out towards Sacremento, and they were saying that there are some good places to go 4wheeling out that way. Maybe we could all get together and go up there next time. If you don't want to go that far, Hollister is still fine with me. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. :)
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Oh-man, I'm so jealous !!!! I wanted to go so bad.... I just sat and looked at my truck and pouted. All month I was getting ready . A new Ramsey Platinum and a few other mod's, BUT..... my A4ld said NO WAY !!!! Well, this will give me some time to finsh the mod's and paint it. Please let me now if you guy's go out again !

Khoa, will you please post the pictures, or email me a few? I'd love to wallow in my own misery just a little longer!

Glad you guys had a good time!!

[This message has been edited by Ji (edited 05-25-99).]

Sacramento sounds great, I'd love to go try out other areas. May be we can get together this summer sometimes with Ji and Tami as our guides???

I have the pictures but I don't have as many as I thought, almost all of them are static and I didn't have any when we were on the trails! But I'll send what I can.

Ji/Tami - Sorry you guys couldn't make it, sounds like you have the transmission under control now.

Hi guys! I had a great time last weekend, and Kristi did too. I've never been dirtier, and neither has the interior of my truck! I guess that's what happens with the sunroof off and pulling up the rear! But, getting a little sun was worth it.

My truck was filthy, and I have some nice new scratches on the front differential, the skid plates, and even my under-car spare tire! After getting high-centered in that one rut, I am inspired to add some clearance, somehow. That will have to come later - my student budget won't cover that Dead Link Removed

Khoa and Ray, I have some good video clips of the bumpy rock climb part, and also that large pit you both went through successfully. Also, there are some good clips of our little (3 truck) group as we're climbing up the trails. If Rick can put video clips (in .avi format perhaps) on the website, I'd gladly send them off to him. They are kinda big (kilobytes, that is), though.

Anyhow, thanks for a great time - a great break from school that Kristi and I both needed. We'd love to join you guys for any other trips up here in Northern Cal. - whether H. Hills again, or up in Sacramento. Don't forget to call us up!!

Khoa,
Thank you for the pictures. You got a real decient pic of my truck. For you guys out there who want to see a 95+ Explorer with 31" tires, you'll get to see one soon.
Rick, My truck is the green 97 with the 31X10.5 R15 BFG A/T's. I hope you will post the picture soon. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Ray -

Since you're more familiar with Hollister Hills than us, would you mind doing a little write up for us?

Rick - Thanks for posting the pictures.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 05-27-99).]

Khoa,
I'll see what I can do, after I get back from Vegas. Dead Link Removed Common 7 Daddy needs a new Cat-back system! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I going to checking out Hollister hills in the next couple of weeks. Any thing I should avoid in a stock 94 XLT?

------------------
Stop Saying Hella, Cartman!

Hi Aaron,
There is a mudpit at the obstacle course.
Don't even try it! and five fingers hill climb is a real tuffy. I've haven't been able to make it. Dead Link Removed Also over by 5 fingers hill climb there is a small trail that has a real bad off camber turn in some pretty loose dirt that I would stay away from.Other then that, most of the blue square trails you should be able to make. Hey give us a call when you decide to go up and maybe we can meet you there.The weekend of the 19th and the whole week after that I will be up in Sequoia National Park, so I won't be able to go then, but maybe kvo or Garrett can make it.Have fun! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Aaron -

If we can't hook up and you're going by yourself, be careful which trails you're going. Even a couple of the blue trails were hard to navigate without a spotter.

How 'bout the 26th or 27th of June, I'd be up for another day. I'll remember to bring my lunch this time. I'll also try the 5 finger hills this time.

I swapped my auto hubs to manual hubs yesterday. It was pretty simple with all the right tools, it took about 1.5 hrs doing it leisurely. I'd like to try them out now.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 06-10-1999).]

Rick -

Ray is finishing up the write up as I type. The dark green '97 Explorer in the video going up the bowl is Ray Lobato's. The Navajo is Garrett Guess', mine is the '91 with the Yakima box on the roof climbing the steps.

Hi guys! I am around on the 26th and 27th of June if you are heading to the Hills again. I would like to join up with anyone if they are heading out there that weekend. Kristi won't be in town, she's outta' here after finals, but I'm up for some more "sucking dirt"!!!

I will also be around on the 17th of July, as there has been mention that this could be another date. Let me know what's going on!!

Yeah, the 26th or 27th should be fine. Anything I should make sure to have with other than a camera and a lunch?

------------------
Stop Saying Hella, Cartman!

Aaron,
Do you have a CB radio? That is a big help in communicating between the trucks. I won't be able to make it on the 26th,27th, because I'll still be on vacation, so I hope you guys have fun. Dead Link RemovedGarrett mentioned the 17th of July. Would anyone be interested in going again, or maybe some place else. I would be able to go on that date.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back