BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lmao Joe Dirting is an important part of buying any used car!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

VERY important! The guy cleaned the interior with.....greasy armor all :(

Ive used half a bottle of simple green just getting that sh*t off all the panels and dash. It looked so greasy that it looked dirty.

Yeah I can't stand that armor all crap, why would you want your dash to be slippery and shiny lol I'll never understand

Congrats on the new car, at least it's American.:salute:

Gotta make a build thread for your Focus. I'm sure it's not gonna stay untouched for long.

Dont even know what you're talking about! ;)

Yeah I can't stand that armor all crap, why would you want your dash to be slippery and shiny lol I'll never understand

Its a pain in the ass! I thought I had gotten most of it, but now im finding tons of spots still greasy looking! :mad:

Congrats on the new car, at least it's American.:salute:

Thanks man!

I couldnt be any happier. I had a little over 1/2 tank, prepaid $20, filled up, AND GOT $6 BACK! Been driving alot through town, (Little stuff- wiper blades, cleaners, etc) and the gauge has yet to move barely.

The guy lived down a dirt road, so the thing is/was filthy. Dirt in every crack and crevice of each body panel, and wheels. I spent so much time spraying one wheel down, that it managed to pop the wheel weight off, so I have to get that done Monday when some shops are open.

Im getting pretty good with the stick :D Only stalled twice on the way home, and as embarrasing as it is, one of the times was going downhill :dunno:

3cd78c68.jpg

Please excuse the disgusting looking driveway edge. I havent had time to get out and edge this year yet. :(

Nice, man I'd love to get good mpg... I've killed 2 1/2 tanks this week... then again I just graduated college today so i've spent the last week driving all over to parties and to hangout with everyone, so my gas (and beer) consumption will reduce most likely haha. How many miles are on the focus?

Sorry Sport, never even saw this reply, lol.

The Focus had 123k, but after having it for a month, it was NOT comfy, and the stick was getting annoying getting off work at 4am after working for 12 hours. Plus, I couldnt keep traction in the rain to save my life. The car was fun at first, but then I missed my luxurious V8. :)

Now im in this bad boy:
1a30d56d.jpg

8feba836.jpg

88887899.jpg

88887899.jpg

2cb346b1.jpg

Its a 2004, LX Sport. 70,000 miles, and in MINT condition. Not a spec of rust, and the underbody looks brand new.

Obviously not as good gas mileage as the Focus (Which every single person whos seen the car has let me know), but ill sacrifice some MPGs, for luxury, and comfort. Plus I have the power of a V8 again. The mileage honestly isnt even bad. Drove to Novi and back today (60~ miles one way, + city driving around there) and only burnt a quarter tank.

nice crown vic and how u get one with an auto transmisson like that was it custom

Thanks, they're all automatics...if you mean the shifter being on the floor, thats another awesome part of the LX Sport package.

Excellent Brian, and I know those get great gas mileage.:salute:

Wow, I didn't know Ford made one with the console like a Marauder. Cool, and is the steering wheel leather or vinyl? I bought a 2003/04 Marauder steering column with the wheel(your color), for the column, and I will need a new black steering wheel. They are all obsolete now, and I wonder if a black Crown Vic wheel came in leather and not vinyl.

You know, I think its vinyl, but im not sure. Its pretty firm; first thing I did was a leather wrap, because the steering wheels in these cars are so thin.

But yea, the exact same console, only difference is mine has a "cubby" hole where the Marauder has the Autometer gauges, and my shifter surround is chrome, Marauders is carbon fiber.

I like it, and hadn't seen many to say one is better. I have a 95 Crown Vic that I added 97 Town Car seats to, and considered the later Marauder parts. I love the steering wheel compared to the old early 90's style my Mark VII has.

This gray wheel I have is leather and looks pretty good, but not show quality. I've been planning to use a black steering wheel, like the Mountaineer has. But the gray may be a better choice, for my light cream and gray interior. Thoughts?

1991MarkVIILSCSE00.jpg

You know I think they'd both look great. I personally would go with black to match the dash surround and center console, but then again, the gray would match that dash.

Thanks, that's what I figured, either can work. I'll see what old stock steering wheels I can find. I got lucky to find one of two NOS Explorer wheels, like yours with the steering wheel controls.

The one I have, is my favorite wheel Ford makes. Besides it being "thin" I love the way it feels, it looks great, and the controls in it are a very nice feature.

It's interesting that you say it's too thin. I had been trying to figure out if the Marauder steering wheel is thicker than regular models. I thought that they were. But having never found anything to say they were thicker, I found out myself when I bought this one 2-3 months ago. I also have the spare 99 Limited wheel from my truck, and they are the same thickness. The texture is also the same, I had wondered if the Marauder had a perforated surface or something.

They are the same. The only differences could be whether one is leather or not. In the Explorers, the early wheels were leather, and around 99 or so most all became vinyl. I found that out when I hunted the four spoke wheel for my 99 Explorer.

hey brian u plan on doing some mods on ur crown vic

That is a sharp looking car. Throw a nice exhaust system on that bad boy.

congrats on the vic dude, looks great

Brian, does it have the quick ratio steering? You would know it, it takes very very little turning of the wheel to steer around corners.

The police cars began getting those in 1997, and I replaced one in my 95 with one due to a recall(Pittman arm seized to the steering box). It took a while to get used to it, but I liked it.

Back