Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

beats the hell outta the ford 500!!

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by dtl 2k2 sport, December 5, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    McVeytown, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '18 XLT
    IMHO it's butt ugly....no thanks...

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. dgibson

dgibson Elite Explorer<br>ECX member

City, State:
    virginia beach, va (originally from AR, go Hogs)
    93 xlt
    i like it. it's different. i defintely wouldn't turn it down if it was given to me

4. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    '03 XLT 4.6

Heck, I would take a Ford Focus if someone gave it to me too. Doesn't mean I wouldn't sell it to some poor schmuck who just wants a car. :p I'd take most anything free except for maybe a kick in the teeth or an STD.

5. dtl 2k2 sport

dtl 2k2 sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    stafford Va
    2002 SPORT
    uhmm

oh my god, this is totally going in the wrong direction,, you all sound like u didnt like the idea of that car!!?? :rolleyes: granted the inside really needs to be redone but , we'll and the steering wheel needs to be completed,, and the blaze hunters orange could go away, but if you look at the rest of the car, Ie: outside, i really like it!!! :D :mattmoon:

6. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    1997 XLT
    I like it too, but that's because it was designed by the team at Porsche.

I don't like the concept Ford because it does look like the Crossfire. But then I don't really like any Chrysler product for that matter. It defenitely has a little Volvo in it too.

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune MUD SEASON 2.0 Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    they are all starting to look the same IMO Which is cool, form follows function.

8. BigDakota

BigDakota Active Member

City, State:
    Bismarck ND
    95 Sport
    The beaver needs to stay warm..its better that way ha ha :D
    I like the look of the car..I also like the Crossfire...they look mean and powerful...

I am thinking that the steering wheel would take some time to get comfortable with...thumbs up here all in all :thumbsup:

9. rocket 5979

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    '03 XLT 4.6

Looks can be deceiving. Those things are pretty underpowered for what they are touted for. Unless you get an SRT-6 your only getting a 215 hp V6. At least in the SRT they supercharged it and the hp was bumped up to 330hp. The power isnt bad for a car, but for whats it is touted to be it should have come with much more. That much more probably should have come in the form of a V8 or at least a turbocharged V or I6.

10. chriswells78

chriswells78 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Powell(Columbus), OH
    2013 Limited
    I agree. They make a 200hp version for the rental car industry, just like Ford does with the V6 Mustang. Nobody with 24k goes out and says "I want a V6 Mustang" unless they are a wuss. :rolleyes: They spend the extra 4k (about 75-100 per month) and get a GT. Of course, with the new "retro stang" you are hard pressed to find a new GT, much less get one at sticker. At the Ford lot near my house they had an 05 red GT with white Shelby stripes, 16k miles on the clock for 29grand! :eek: And somebody bought it!!!!! :eek: :eek: Classic case of more dollars than sense. :(

11. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mission, Kansas
    '97 XLT
    Where did you find out they made a 200 hp version? That'd be pretty silly, considering they already have a 215 hp version.

And like it or not, the V6 Mustang is the reason the Mustang is still around and sells the way it does. Over 70% of them are V6's and for most people, its enough power. A lot of people don't want the extra gas, insurance cost, and initial cost. They're certainly not slow; there's not many cars for the price that are faster. For a while, the 190 hp 3.8 made the V6 Stang the fastest car for under 20 grand.

12. chriswells78

City, State:
    Powell(Columbus), OH
    2013 Limited
    V6 is way slow and handles like a box with wheels. 200hp was an estimate on hp because I couldn't remember the exact amount.

The reason 70% are v6 is because of Hertz and Female buyers.
    I heard a stat somewhere that 05 is the first year that gt is outselling the base, because people want the HP.

When was it the fastest car under 20grand?
    As far as I know there has been all of these imports available for the last 10 years that the Mustang came with a V6 (since 94). Maybe the only American car less than 20, but HP/weight ratio sucks. That is why they do 15+ in the 1/4. You could have gotten an SVT Focus that is faster than that, You could have gotten a lot of cars though the nineties that would have done that for less than 20grand.

13. jayhawkexplorer

City, State:
    Mission, Kansas
    '97 XLT
    I don't know what you consider slow, but the new V6 automatics do 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, the manuals just over 6 seconds. That's pretty dang fast. And the old 3.8 V6 did 0-60 in just over 7. That was pretty fast for under 20 grand, until things like the SRT-4 came out. And that time is faster then what the SVT Focus did.

14. rocket 5979

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    '03 XLT 4.6

Not meaning to knock your preferences but the V6 mustangs of ANY year were slow! The older 3.8 ones did low 16's - mid 17's in the 1/4 depending on factory configuration. Total dogs! At least the 2005 V6 Mustang got a boost up to 210 hp and a different engine. Even that isn't fast at all. Not terribly slow, but definately not fast. Consider that my Explorer would murder that, I consider that slow because the X isn't that fast either, yet. The old V6 mustangs being the fastest cars in their class for that long seems like a stretch to me too. I am not saying your lieing, I do believe that you read the wrong mag article though. Bottom line, the V6 was targeted towards a market of women, high school and college kids, and people who just liked the name and not the power. It did its job well, but there were faster vehicles in its class out there at that time.

15. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Robt
    Given the 0-60 times of the new stangs, and a wgt diff of about 1200 lbs, I really have to question your statement about murdering a V6 stang with your 4.6 EX,JMHO

16. jayhawkexplorer

City, State:
    Mission, Kansas
    '97 XLT
    Since April 1964, when the Mustang was released, the majority of cars have been sold with non-V8 engines. That is a main reason the car is still around today - many people only want the style of the car but don't want/need the extra costs/power.

And to reiterate, there's no way your Explorer does 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds. That's pretty dang fast, and plenty of power for most people. Not me! But most :)

17. 410Fortune

410Fortune MUD SEASON 2.0 Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    gears and driver have alot to do with racing, but yeah a friggin Metro is faster then a stock V8 Exploder.....

18. chriswells78

City, State:
    Powell(Columbus), OH
    2013 Limited
    I don't think that most people go to the Ford Dealer looking for a V6 Mustang. Thiey either want a GT, then can' afford it and settle with the V6 when they see the price difference or they are looking for something else, see a Mustang (regardless of what is under the hood) and "fall in love with it." The college students and what not that drive these are usually not buying them new, I can almost garantee that. Not a lot of college kids can afford 18-24 grand for a car. Hertz buys thousands of 6bangers every year for their fleet and they pull in a good premium for renting them. These flood the used market every year when they dump them. This is the biggest reason for the V6

Also, I do not know this for sure but I have heard that since the Mustang has no Mazda cousin, the cars with the sloppiest tollerences that come off of the line are sent to the V6 installation line. The ones with better become GT's and the best are sent off to SVT, Saleen, Steeda and Roush to become extra special. I have heard that every manufacturer that does this when they have several lines of the same car (ie Mazda, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln in that order or Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Caddy or Honda, Acura in those orders)

19. jayhawkexplorer

City, State:
    Mission, Kansas
    '97 XLT
    What do college kids have to do with this? If they're buying them used, then somebody had to buy a V6 to begin with. I think a lot of people buy the V6 because they can't afford a V8, but a lot of people couldn't give a rip either way, especially now that they can get the pony package and make their V6 look like a GT. There's plenty of people who wouldn't hardly know if their car was a V6 or V8 and don't care because they have a Mustang for its looks. My mother would be an example of that.

Regarding your comment about the sloppy tolerances, I seriously doubt that. Maybe 30 years ago when they were pretty much completely made with human hands, or human hands running a machine. But everything is so automated now that there's no way there's that much variance in production. And there may not be a Mazda sister of the Mustang, but they're built in the Mazda 6 plant in Flat Rock.

20. rocket 5979

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    '03 XLT 4.6
    Sorry, but I don't measure a cars acceleration by 0-60 times. I measure it by 1/4 mile times. My explorer was deep into the 15's a few years ago and with the new tunes I am sure it will easily dip into the low 15's with no problem, and maybe even touch 14's on a cool day with good traction and the 20's off of it. I didn't say my truck was stock by the way (though it doesn't have allot of mods). Just to reiterate, V6 Mustangs are pretty slow...

I also think that the college kid comments are fairly accurate in most cases. After all, I don't see many college kids able to afford much more than Ramen noodles for food let alone a Mustang Gt and the extra gas that goes with it. This doesnt go for all college kids, but it does apply to most.

21. chriswells78

City, State:
    Powell(Columbus), OH
    2013 Limited
    This arguement is getting confusing so I am gonna break down my answers

Question #1
    Post 38. What do college kids have to do with this?
    Answer:
    Post 33. I do believe that you read the wrong mag article though. Bottom line, the V6 was targeted towards a market of women, high school and college kids, and people who just liked the name and not the power. It did its job well, but there were faster vehicles in its class out there at that time.

Question #2
    Post 38. If they're buying them used, then somebody had to buy a V6 to begin with.
    Answer:
    Post 37. Hertz buys thousands of 6bangers every year for their fleet and they pull in a good premium for renting them. These flood the used market every year when they dump them.

Statement #1
    There's plenty of people who wouldn't hardly know if their car was a V6 or V8 and don't care because they have a Mustang for its looks. My mother would be an example of that

Reply... Then these are not car people and generally don't buy mustangs in the first place, they drive 4 door Honda Civics and Kia Sorrentos. Yes there might be a few, but not many general mustang buyers as a whole

Statement #2
    Regarding your comment about the sloppy tolerances, I seriously doubt that. Maybe 30 years ago when they were pretty much completely made with human hands, or human hands running a machine. But everything is so automated now that there's no way there's that much variance in production.

Reply...Even the machines cannot make them perfectly. we are talking about sheet metal parts that flex and bend and aren't alway lined up right. Run your finger down the body seams of a brand new Explorer, then move on to a Mountaineer, then an Aviator. You will notice a difference in the body tollerences. They get tighter as you go up the scale.

Statement #3
    And there may not be a Mazda sister of the Mustang, but they're built in the Mazda 6 plant in Flat Rock.

Reply...From what I understand they will be moving the Mustang production soon, Romeo, I think. The Mazda6 is a completely different line of cars as the new Fusion and Zypher roll out while we debate. The Mazda6 was a test run of the chassis. Ford has been starting out new models as Mazda's lately because when new models come out, they inevitably have flaws. Since the records show that Mazda doesn't have very good loyalty anyway, it is a good test, if it fails, oh well. They have done this with the Focus (323, then 3), Escape (Tribute), and now the Fusion (6).