Bedlined and Painted my bed extender. NOT MAD ABOUT IT! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bedlined and Painted my bed extender. NOT MAD ABOUT IT!

Pjibs

Reaction score
City, State
Wittenberg University
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Craigslist buy for $60. Use to be aluminum finish. Couple of rattle cans later... not anymore!
P5011628_zps07e213dc.jpg
P5011626_zpsd38f92c6.jpg
P5011625_zps88c1879e.jpg
P5011623_zps5d6dcdf0.jpg
P5011621_zpsec5d5232.jpg

Rack City,
J.B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it should've from the fatory. What bedliner did you use?

Great idea. I was just thinking today that the squeaking of my tire against the bed extender is a bit annoying with the rear window down. This may just be the solution...and it looks awesome.

That's cool I was putting the idea in my head

Sweet looking! Did you disassembled the extender and painted them separately? or taped it?

Dang thanks now I have something to do this week to the truck as I already have the paint.

When I read the title of the post I thought I wouldn't like it, but it looks good!

I have already taken mine out of the truck and its apart the tubes are being painted now. I love cheep mods that are easy good idea.

this looks sick! when i repaint all my interior and my front bumper imma have to do this too! Interested in where you got the matching paint for the plastic cross-members!

Hey Guys!
Thanks for the compliments. Alright here is what I did...

-Disassembled the entire thing
-Simple Greened all parts
-For the tubes I then used acetone and clean towels and wiped them down. I wasn't sure if I should sand them or not because the finish was still on the tubes. I did not sand them
-For the tubes I laid down a flat black primer (Dupli-color)
-For the tubes I then laid down a few coats of Dupli-color bed armor. BOOM!

As for the red spacers I treated them just like the bumper caddling. Wash, Sand, Adhesion Promoter, Primer (for me, red), Main Color (found at Advance Auto Parts - Dupli-color Perfect Match Ford), Clear Top Coat

I did not tape where the spacers went, I just squeezed them on because they broke in half down the middle. As for where the pivot spacer is I do wish I taped it because it did not break apart like the middle ones. So I had to mash them into the holes and some of the bed liner slipped, not a lot, but some.

I do want to add a small break light on the tubes or the spacers and run the wires through the spacers. I also want to add a foam pipe insulator over the top tube just in case some has to rest on it that I dont want to be scratched!

J.B.

Thank you for the quick write-up, Pjibs! Another little project for me this summer.

Got some foam pipe insulation. Protecting the top bar that much more and whatever happens to be laying on it... like a canoe :thumbsup:

get-attachment-2-1_zps0bef7991.jpg
get-attachment-8_zpsf038c869.jpg
get-attachment-1-3_zps09159441.jpg

All that's left is a brake light maybe or a reflector or two

They make that insulation in a black rubber for a couple dollars more. Not saying what you have looks bad, just that the black may match the other bars closer. Awesome project. I see this one becoming quite popular.

Looks great! Only thing I would of done different is scuffed up the aluminum. Paint does not like to stick to it well. Coarse(red) scotch brite would work perfect. You can get a 3 pack at any auto parts store for about $5

Mines done will get pics on as soon as my trucks comes back from my daughter borrowing it.

That's not a bad idea with the brake light in the extender plug right into the trailer plug :)

Here's my painted bed extender

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Right on! Looks awesome!!!

Pjibs, you really started something! Too bad you can't get royalties from everyone who does this. This might be a way to identify forum members.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks great!

Back