Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer xlt v8 2WD
Thought I'd post the results of my recent diy roll on bedliner paint job
Before:
Snapchat-863844198~5.jpg

And after:
Snapchat-2029967791~2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’d you use?

Nice!!

I see a gallon can with a blue label on the floor, is that Duplicolor bed liner?

That looks awesome. Got me a thinking. :) Where did you buy the gallon at?

The herculiner will fade to a dull black it has no UV protection
You can paint over it with spray paint.
We ended up removing the herculiner (hurt u liner) on a Ranger we built, sanded the entire rig off and then 3 coats of primer, re coated the truck with Monstaliner and never looked back

Keep up the good work!

We ended up removing the herculiner (hurt u liner) on a Ranger we built, sanded the entire rig off and then 3 coats of primer, re coated the truck with Monstaliner and never looked back

Keep up the good work!
The black was an afterthought and ended up just getting the herculiner, but I'll keep it in mind that you can spray paint it

Keep up the good work!

@410Fortune

How/what was the process of putting the Monstaliner on? Spray or Roll on? Prep work? How did it hide existing dents?

Any fading? Hows cleanup on it? Any affects on power washing on it?

How much did you use for the Ranger? Im guessing a Gallon would be enough for a 4Dr Explorer?

4 door explorer will need the 2 gallon kit. My daughter in law drives a 98 Explorer fully coated in drab green
Roll on, it can be sprayed you water it down to go through a sprayer, but I like the eggshell finish you get with the rollers
Prep work is just like anything else, it is key to a good result.
basically you scuff up the factory paint, clean with acetone, clean again, clean one more time...then start the application. Once you start it takes about 18 hours to do two coats then after that you let it cure for 48-72 hours before you can drive it.
No fading, ever
Cleanup is amazing, nothing sticks to it. Snow slides right off in sheets, I hardly ever hand wash our trucks anymore power washer is all the coating needs to be clean again
Yes I power was the crap out of it with both electric and gas power washers....Monstaliner does not care, it is a two part epoxy, it is not coming off easily that is for sure
Nice thing about Monstaliner is it can be TOUCHED UP, try that with Rhino or linex
Prep work on a normal truck is just sand up the smooth paint and make it rough, then clean
Prep work on my BII was 3 days of rust repair, dent repair, I pulled all windows and doors, rear hatch etc. Then scuff up the paint and clean.
The wifes FJ cruiser was more like a week of prep, because the toyota has so many plastic panels that had to be removed, also we did a color change from yellow to green do I had to spray all door jambs with black first (personal choice). FJ was labor intensize simply because of the roof rack removal, fender skirts removal, plastic body panel removal, etc
Explorer is a breeze, remove front and rear bumpers, remove side skirts, remove winshield trim....start sanding, mask off other areas and sand, then clean, then roll

Monstaliner sells a 2 gallon kit, comes with 2 gallons of coating, the catalyst and the pigment in the color of your choice. Also includes rollers, tape, trays and more
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!

There is a thread on here somewhere let me go look see.........
Oh I will be doing my 97 4 door F350 this summer in White :)

This truck (84 Ranger, highly custom) was herculined then we sanded that stuff off with a disc sander and a million discs Then 3 coats of primer, then finally the monstaliner

171_201730_180000004.jpg

171_201730_160000001.jpg

My BII:
171_201713_010000001.jpg

171_191443_000000004.jpg

FJ cruiser
171_191520_460000000.jpg

171_191429_370000001.jpg

171_191432_330000000.jpg

This truck (84 Ranger, highly custom) was herculined then we sanded that stuff off with a disc sander and a million discs Then 3 coats of primer, then finally the monstaliner

171_201730_180000004.jpg

171_201730_160000001.jpg

My BII:
171_201713_010000001.jpg

171_191443_000000004.jpg

FJ cruiser
171_191520_460000000.jpg

171_191429_370000001.jpg

171_191432_330000000.jpg

Those look awesome. Do you have a web page for the Monstaliner?

If I can get a close enough color match I'd love to do just the roofs on my Explorer and my Expedition. They both have the thinning fading clearcoat syndrome and the liner seems to be the easiest most durable fix.

Magnet paints is an awesome company to deal with, they also sell Chassis saver which is an excellent product better then POR-15

Got some color chips from Monstaliner and am matching to my 95 Sport (Cardinal Red E4 Paint Code). Lady in Red color seems to match the best. I am assuming I will want the door jambs and underhood to remain original paint color and texture.

I did notice in the beginning of thread that the grill on the 97 XLT was painted black. I am up in the air about going with grill being body color or black. Any good pics of both for comparison?

I just received replacement grill and it is unfinished in dark gray. I may fix to my 95 to see if the color contrast works. Planning on doing the grille and entire truck with Monstaliner. I have some panels to replace and repair, and will roll each part when replacing. It will probably be over time. Thinking of replacing stock headlights with black housings and going with LEDs.

Back