• Register Today It's free!

Beeping coming from the dash.

The DB

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited SOHC
When I start moving in my 2000 Explorer I get a series of beeps that appear to be coming from the dash. There are several groups of five beeps with a space between the groups. It also doesn't happen right when I start moving all of the time, once it started its beep cycle when I was almost home, 45 minutes after I started driving, and another time didn't happen at all. The beeping started less than a week ago.

I also have the concern that there is likely a problem with the dash itself. The tach doesn't always work, and will start and stop working while driving at random. The air bag light is also on most, but not all of the time, it will sometimes turn off, and then some random amount of time later turn back on. It is also been known to start flashing, again, seemingly at random. These two problems have been happening for years.

Aside from these, I have no engine codes, and the vehicle is running just fine, actually, since the beeping started an issue where the engine seems to have less power sometimes than I expect hasn't happened. This is something that happens more often in colder weather, and cold it is around here lately so I consider not having that issue a good thing. That issue would go away when I revved the engine, and after the engine was running for a while wouldn't show up at all.

There is a distinct possibility that the beeping is a problem in the dash itself where it is giving a false alarm, that is also a concern.

What I want to know is, is the beeping a sign of a problem that I need to have looked into right now, or is it something that I can just live with for a while if I choose?

If anyone has any suggestions on the other issues I mentioned as well that would be great.

The DB

You'll get a beeping noise if the airbag light fails to illuminate, such as if the light bulb is burnt out. Because the bulb only sometimes illuminates, maybe there's a loose connection or something, and the truck thinks the bulb is burnt out, which would cause the beeping.

You can figure out why the airbag light is on by scanning for codes. Not all scanners are capable of reading airbag codes though.

Back