Before and after 2" skyjacker. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Before and after 2" skyjacker.

I had the X aligned and the mechanic pointed out that one of my front springs was broken, so in went the 2" lift. The spring was broke at the bottom whare it was bolted in. It did not sit low or clunk. Alignment tommrow.
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm a big fan of that lift. There is some pretty cool guys up in the cities by you (JamminG4Jim & Ryan1) and I'd be more than happy to go get dirty with ya. You'll be amazed what 2" and some agressive tires will get you into.

Yea I still need some tires. The The Michelin A/T's still have alot of tread left. I do not get out much to do much wheelin. I have been on alot of the minium maintenance roads in the WhiteWater area. I am headed home to Elroy WI next weekend and I will try out the lift then. With all this rain there should be some good mud to play in.

Hey, that looks good same lift I am getting ready to install, is the rear just an add a leaf? And did you go with the hydrolic shocks or the gas?

The kit is two front springs and two AAL. I had a AAL set in the rear before installing the kit. I replaced the first extra leaf with the one in the kit. After things were installed the rear was lower than the front. I then bought new u-bolts and put the original AAL in so I have two extra leafs. My rear springs seam to have more sag that most X's so the one extra leaf from the kit will probably be fine for you. With two extra leafs in the ride is pretty stiff. The rear shocks are rancho 5000 and the fronts are gas from the local parts store. All shocks are for a stock X and are working fine so far. I have not off roaded it yet.

Good Luck on the install

just like to know how the sky 2 " lift effected the steering & Handling of your ex ?

The biggest change is the stiffness of the ride. I added two extra leafs on each side in the rear. This made the ride stiffer. With it being stiffer I think it handles better. Their seams to be less body roll in turns. The ride is not too stiff to drive. I was thinking of putting in a shackle lift and removing a one of the leafs, but I doubt I will get to it very soon. Driving down the highway it handles fine.

I am getting that same lift. Can you notice a big change in appearance. Was the 2" more than you thought? Was it very easy to install? And, how big of tires do you plan on running? Do you know of any mud terrains that dont wear fast?

I think that the lift gave me more than 2". My springs had sagged allot and one was broke. You can deffinatly notice the change. I will run 31" BFG AT when the current tires wear out. I have seen allot of different opinions here on mud terrain tires but I have never run them. I would suggest waiting on getting tires. I would guess that you will want to install a body lift and get even bigger tires than the 31's you can run with just the suspension lift. The install was harder than I have seen some people say it was. I drive the X daily and the salted Minnesota winter roads have rusted things up allot. I had to heat the spring nut red hot to get it off. Having a torch I did not try penetrating oil.

Good Luck on the install.

Back