Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Before I go and strangle those at ford, take a look....

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by lbrowne, September 22, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. lbrowne

lbrowne Active Member

City, State:
      AB, Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      01 blazer lt
      Had a weird clunking sound in my truck, ford says it was the tranny mount. they replaced it, it never fixed my problem, and now i have no overdrive. i'm thinking ok, its coincedence or related.

lets move along to the next part of the story. they take my truck back and credit my cost of the tranny mount towards what was the original problem, some sort of clutch flywheel or sumthin or other. sure enough, my prob is fixed but still no o/d. ( i have the old part, its fuct pretty bad)

NOW i don't have cruise control and that ALWAYS worked. and it was working when i brought it there cuz I had just got back from vacation where i used it 95% of the time.

what in god's name could they have done, can someone tell me a few detailed things to check because if something was done purposely, or it was neglect on their part, i'm going postal.

all replies, thanks in advance

leo

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. zensius

zensius Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pleasant Hill, CA
      '92 4 dr. EB
      Cruise control pretty simple. Check the accellerator cable where it connects to the throttle body. There should be another cable connected there. That's cruise control. Follow that cable to the vacuum bulb that actuates the cable. Make sure all this stuff is working. Also check vacuum hose to the bulb. And follow it to the firewall I think. Check all that.

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      They may have taken out the plug on the side of the tranny for the OD. When I was working on the truck I took it out once.. and forgot to put it back in.. Without it you won't have OD...

If I remember correctly it is on the drivers side of the tranny.. Easy to see down there.. just make sure it is plugged in.

~Mark

5. lbrowne

lbrowne Active Member

City, State:
      AB, Canada
      01 blazer lt
      it can't be a plug because I have a manual OD, not the electronic push button overdrive. but thanks for the reply! :)

Zensius: could you be a bit more specific? excuse my ignorance but the haynes manual I can not find anything on the cruise control. or maybe you know which page? :)

thanks!

leo

6. Maniak

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      You mean your missing overdrive? and not the lockup?

when you put it into OD you should get a 4 shifts.. 1-2 2-3 3-4 and then lockup.. usually the last one is missing if the plug is out..

easy way to tell if its OD or the lockup thats out.. when your cruising down the road (when you think it shoudl be in od/lockup) just step on the gas a little more.. if the rpms go up before the speed does then the lockup isn't working.. if the speed and rpms go up at the same time then the lockup is working..

~Mark

7. lbrowne

lbrowne Active Member

City, State:
      AB, Canada
      01 blazer lt
      my apologies Maniak I've shoulda made it clearer. I just read what i typed ;)

I have a 93 which means I do not have an electronic overdrive (i have an auto as well). Which, according to ford here, means theres no plug going into the transmission for the overdrive.

If I'm cruising down the highway at 110 kph and i put her to the floor, the rpms go up and so does my speed. the only thing is i know she aint hittin the overdrive because whether you have it in regular D or OD (d with the circle around it) theres no shift or change.

at about 120 kph i'm at a whopping 3500+ rpm!!! she was never like this.

thanks for your concern and help!

leo

8. Maniak

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      gotcha.. you are right.. you have lockup.. no overdrive.. and that isn't a plug for that (the no lockup would be caused by the no plug but not the no od)...

The symptoms are similar which is why I threw that out.. but in your case.. you described it right.. you have no od.. but do have lockup.

~Mark

9. lbrowne

lbrowne Active Member

City, State:
      AB, Canada
      01 blazer lt
      ford said they would have someone look at it cuz a fella that knows the trannys well there thinks its something about a vacuum solenoid or whatever that is either clogged or shot thats not letting it shift.

10. lbrowne

lbrowne Active Member

City, State:
      AB, Canada
      01 blazer lt
      everything looks to be connected for the cruise control. theres a cable that goes from the TB all the way over to something attached to the driver's fender, some sort of device. but all seems to be connected.