• Register Today It's free!

Bent Valves?

Mckenzie

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
I just took my 2002 Explorer limited 4.6l through a small pond and flooded my intake with water. The engine died and like an idiot I tired to start it. We finally got the engine running and idling, but now there is a clacking sound. Does this mean I will have to replace a rod or two? (It doesn't really sound like a knock to me) is it even worse with a valve job? I am very confident in my mechanical skills and will be doing all the work my self. I just need some help to narrow down the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The damage was probably done when it stalled. No way to tell the damage without tearing into the motor. Bent rods don’t always sound terrible. Typical rod noise is usually bearing related, and not from being bent.

On modular motors when the rods bend the Piston skirt will hit the counterweight on the crankshaft. You're probably better off getting another motor.

The heads and valve train will be just fine / steam cleaned.

I've done a few rebuilds before on my own time, so I don't really have a problem tearing into the motor myself. I've yet to see the modular V8 apart and I've been really wanting to ahaha. Would it be easier to just find a running 4.6 or even 5.0 and drop in? I'm thinking rods are an easy enough job. It's the whole other slough of problem that gonna come from this knock. (Like a new crank too)

At some point I will be modifying this thing through the roof and need good base internals to start anyway.

5.0L will not bolt up to you 4.6L transmission.

PCM would have to change if it did.

I've been planning on doing a manual swap for some time as well. Mind you all of this was for the 4.6, I'll probably need to do more research now. I was kinda hoping the tranny would have gone first but I guess whatever it takes to actually get me to start this build.

Look for a thread by @2000StreetRod

I think he put a supercharger on a 4.6 from an Aviator.

Yeah that was definitely the plan as well. There is room for the vortech with and electric fan conversation. And people have even got the Eaton m112 to "bolt up". But that's for another day ahaha. I need to make sure the internals are solid before anything.

I need to make sure the internals are solid before anything.

Every good engine starts with a good base.

Too many folks think they can bolt stuff on an old engine and make it go fast just to be disappointed when it grenades on them.

Exactly. The motor has 240000 km on it so it's seen quite a bit of life. Would it be cheaper to rebuild what I got or buy a motor from scrap and build that one up?

Start with a new motor, and stick with the 4.6.

Would it be cheaper to rebuild what I got or buy a motor from scrap and build that one up?

If you start with a scrap yard engine you don't know what it has been through. You could be buying a bag of "Rocks".

How long have you had your rig and has it been well taken care of?

So you know what it has been through..

Like my 98 (If I ever finish...) I'm the original owner. My 4R70 transmission will go to the builder and I will get "My" case back rebuilt.

The truck has never even been through a mechanical car wash.

I hate them... I know what they can tear up.

I used to work at one and they are just glorified paint and attachment strippers.

I realize you may be on a budget but remember "You pay peanuts, you get Monkeys".

P.S.

Lots of smart members around here we will try and help you along which ever route you decide to take.

That's great to hear! I have been reading alot on here and have already learned some much. This place is just a well of fantastic resources. This is the first time I've posted and I'm glad I did.

I've only had it 4 years not driving it very often but I think deep down I always knew it was gonna need some (alot) of work at some point.

When I said small pond we had been mudding all day already, the pond was deeper than I expected and flooded my intake. We were going pretty fast too.

I'm going take the time and money to do this right. I really just don't want to buy a new engine lol

A bent rod can damage the cylinder wall severely to where it needs to be sleeved or the block is unusable. Might not be that bad but I wouldn't count on your block being repairable.

As what @boominXplorer said.

But I would suggest pull it crack it open and see what you have to work with before you march out and buy a new \ used block.

You might be surprised..

I was going to drop the oil pan first and see what's going on inside. But, I guess if I'm going to swap it in the long run I should just start with pulling it.

If I was going to swap the motor and transmission anyway. I was thinking of buying a body scrapped manual f-150 and swapping the whole drive train. Does anyone know if the 4.6l are any different in the f150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop the pan first and see what it looks like.

Not sure if you can get the pan out without jacking the engine.

If you get the pan out and you can see a rod that looks like a banana then you can start your plan.

If not then you can change Tack and shoot for a different target.

Back