Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Best Intake Manifold Gasket - 2001 ST SOHC, Job 1

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by esromj, January 16, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. esromj

esromj New Member

City, State:
    Madison, WI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    I have a 2001 Sport Trac Job 1 (June 2000) with SOHC 4.0. I have 0171, 0174, 0301, and 0302 codes. I had a smoke test done and confirmed there is a leak in the upper intake manifold gasket.

What is the best replacement gasket? I see gaskets from Fel-Pro (MS90890), Magnum (MS18037), and Victor Reinz (MS16375). Which of these is the best and are there other brands that may be better?

Should I plan to replace the lower intake manifold gasket or is that a waste of time if no leak has been found there?

Are there any other gaskets/o-rings that should be replaced concurrently with this job?

How can I tell if the intake manifold is warped? Is warping easy to see if the manifold is sitting on a flat surface? Is warping a rare problem I shouldn't worry about?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mustang6878

mustang6878 Active Member

City, State:
    Iowa
    '10 Sport Trac Limited
    Back in my engine building days, ( small block Ford V 8's) I swore by Fel Pro. Can't imagine things have changed any.

4. AppleWood

AppleWood Member

City, State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    2001 Ford Explorer Sport
    Pretty sure the Job One engine ("E" engine code in VIN) has a one piece manifold. Wasn't there a production change mid-year, maybe July 2000?

Gasket set consists of 6 O-rings. Ford Part # 1L2Z9461CA

Last edited: January 15, 2015

We Support Our Troops!